• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (OOC)

kinem

Adventurer
One of my DMs is using ditzie for maps and that seems to work well. Players can move their tokens on their turn.

For my PC I am thinking of trying a summoner as I have not yet played one.

Any reasonable point buy should work ... as long as the DM takes the power level of the party into account.

edit: Ninja'd by Shayuri. I would not go Synthesist though as I consider them overpowered.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm... It doesn't seem like it'd be worse than a normal summoner. You don't get more access to evolutions or powers, and you sacrifice the 'extra turn' of action economy...

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've made my final tabulations and a few judgment calls and Rise of the Runelords is the winner. I will be changing the thread title soon to reflect that this is now airwalkrr's RotR OOC thread. For players it was a tough call, but after much deliberation I have selected: [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], [MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION], [MENTION=28453]J. Alexander[/MENTION], [MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION], [MENTION=2469]rangerjohn[/MENTION], and [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION]. Please PM me your email addresses so that I can send you an invite to the Obsidian Portal campaign. [MENTION=30016]SelcSilverhand[/MENTION], having DM'd RotR before, I'd prefer to give those with fresher faces a chance. However, I appreciate your full disclosure and will happy to take you as an alternate should any of the other players bail.

I am sure you are all itching to start working on characters, so I have determined the following character creation rules.

1) Ability Scores: 15 Point Buy. Players who opt to use the Core Rulebook only option receive 20 points (see below).

2) Races: Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Halfling, or Human.

3) Classes: Any available at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, unless you choose the Core Rulebook only option.

4) Skills and Feats: Any available at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, unless you choose the Core Rulebook only option.

5) Equipment: Maximum starting gold. Any equipment available at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/, unless you choose the Core Rulebook only option. Characters using the Core Rulebook only option may select one of the following as bonus equipment:
-one masterwork simple or martial weapon and one masterwork light or medium armor
-two wands (25 charges each) of a different 1st-level spell
-two potions of cure light wounds and two potions of cure moderate wounds
-300 extra gp for purchasing equipment

6) Alignment: I will leave this partially to the players. You may all vote on either an all non-evil party or an all non-good party. If it is tied, characters will be non-evil. Egregious violations of alignment will result in one warning only with a further infraction resulting in a change in alignment by one step. If this change in alignment brings your character outside the bounds allowed by the party, the character becomes an NPC and you must create a new character.

7) Pick One Rule: You may select one Archetype (class or racial), Alternate Racial Trait, Favored Class Option, Racial Favored Class, or Trait at character creation. Your choice requires DM approval ahead of time. Remember you are limited to only ONE of these options, so choose carefully if you wish to take advantage of this rule. Further traits may become available through play. In addition to this, you may pick one Rise of the Runelords Campaign Trait from the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Player's Guide (free download). Characters using the Core Rulebook only option are limited to one Rise of the Runelords Campaign Trait.

8) Vital Statistics: Characters must be of Adult age within the standard range for your race and class. Height and Weight must fall within the standard range for your race.

9) Core Rulebook Only Option: You may opt to play your character using only the Core Rulebook plus one trait from the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Player's Guide. You may also purchase equipment from the original Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide. This option entitles your character to certain character creation benefits but also limits your character to using only the classes, races, feats, spells, and items found in the Core Rulebook. You may still benefit from spells, abilities and items used by allies that do not come from the Core Rulebook, but you may not use or purchase them yourself. If you want a roleplaying rationale, then your character might be a traditionalist who eschews new ways of doing things and distrusts new items and magic. This choice must be made at character creation and may not be changed.

That should cover it for character creation. I will post this in the OP soon for easy reference. I will also make it available on the Obsidian Portal site as soon as I get it up which should be within 24 hours. As noted in the OP, it will be each player's responsibility to maintain an up-to-date character sheet on Obsidian Portal. If you do not have an Obsidian Portal account, it is freely available at obsidianportal.com, so please make this your first priority.

At the outset, I have no house rules in mind. If there happens to be consensus on adopting a particular house rule, I will consider it as it comes up.

I would note that I generally discourage summoners and similarly-designed characters in PBP. Combat is slow enough and summoners and their kin tend to slow things down profoundly so. If you have your heart set on such a character, I won't flat-out say no, but do consider the nature of PBP combat before you choose to do so. Combat will go much more smoothly if each character is specialized in one or two areas without a lot of pets and other creatures hanging around.

More details will follow later in the week. I think that is enough to digest for now.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
First, thanks for including me!

I'm a little confused about Item 7 in the creation rules, and have a couple of questions.

• Does this mean that even if we choose a standard favored class option (e.g. +1 HP/Level) that rules out any archetypes, etc. that are also on this list?
  • The build I'm thinking of starts with a few levels of the Zen Archer archetype for Monk, then switches to the Archer archetype for Fighters. Will there be the option to take archetypes for classes we switch into? If not, I'll move away from Monk, possibly starting with Fighter (Archer) and taking a one or two level dip into Rogue.

If that list is as all inclusive and final as it seems, that's a VERY strong encouragement to take the Core Only option as it seriously limits options from the non-Core supplements even if you're not taking the Core Only option. (This is not a complaint in any way shape or form, I'm just trying to make sure I understand the process).

In regards to alignment, I've always preferred to play in a good aligned party. Or at least a non-evil party. So my vote would be a non-evil party leaning toward good.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Also vote for non-evil/good.

Is the Synthesist class variant for Summoners okay? It basically solves the 'pet' issue by merging the eidolon with the summoner...it seems cool, but I don't know how it plays...

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I don't know how it will play at low levels, but I'm DMing one at 8th level now and he's tough as Hades. BUT, he's also built on 20 points, two traits, favored class bonuses, etc. Also he's in our LPF system, so he's been able to pretty much pick and choose magic items and equipment (within Wealth by Level) rather than relying on what's provided by the module or adventure in which he's playing. Finally, his player is very good at optimization - he doesn't do any real "min/maxing" but he's extremely knowledgeable about available feats/items/spells/etc. and is really good at choosing things from those lists that complement each other and have utility in a lot of different circumstances.

It does solve the pets issue much of the time, but you should note that he'll still have the Summoner's Summon Monster abilities when his Eidolon isn't present.

airwalkrr, I PM'd you my email address but forgot to mention that my username on OP is the same as it is here.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...true. I am used to keeping track of summons though...

Well, I'll think about it carefully. Especially given the rules on chargen. It may be a better concept for another game with less limitations.

Scotley

Hero
Excellent, thank you for the selection. I am excited about this adventure path and the group. I'll send you a PM re email shortly. My user name over at Obsidian Portal is the same as it is here--boring yes, but expedient. Actually, the email I use is almost the same as well.

I don't know enough about the AP to know if it would play well as an evil campaign. I'm willing to do either, but I usually play good--at least as far as my fellow players are concerned. :devil:

Unless I missed it, no one has suggested playing a Rogue, so I think I'll go that route. I seem to remember reading in the Players Guide that one would be needed.

Remove ads