• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alea Iacta Story Hour: A Mythic Rome Campaign (Baby Announcement: 8/17)

Meloch the Pygmy

First Post
Heilyn's ancestry? He's descended from a long line of thick-skulled, stiffnecked, sneaky Celtic ironmongers. And some divinity somewhere in there.

Delighted to finally get the details on this game (which I missed due to being in Afghanistan -- where I currently am again, and much enjoying catching up on the Alea StoryHour for a little escapism amongst the bombs and riots). Interesting to hear about the fireballs in the Temple basement. What on earth was Meloch doing in Judaea?...

Orichalcum

First Post
Pyske said:
So what exactly is Heilyn's ancestry? Nordic?

This has all now been more or less revealed in game, so I'll give the fuller story.
Heilyn's grandfather was a powerful nature spirit known as the Walker or Wanderer of the North, the child of the god Lugh and an unknown (but probably very attractive) human woman. The Wanderer at some point encountered a Brigantian maiden in the forest, near the time of Beltane, and produced Heilyn's father. Heilyn's father, on the othe hand, was very unnerved by this whole spiritual heritage, particularly coming at a time when the Druids were being stamped out of Britannia by the Romans, and decided to protect himself as much as possible by becoming a blacksmith and surrounding himself with cold iron and marrying a nice normal Brigantian weaver-woman. That marriage produced Heilyn, who followed his father's trade, but has stayed more attuned to the spirits and uses the sight that is, he thought, the one remaining legacy from his grandfather. Heilyn knew about the Wanderer, but not about Lugh until shortly before the Isle of Mona.

So no, he doesn't have any divine ranks or anything, just a talent with spirits.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: An Easy Descent Chp. 7: There's a Hole in the Forms, dear Marcus

With the Eagle of the Ninth freed, we turn back to our main mission. Llyr suggests following the black chain back to its point of origin, since, unlike in the normal world, it does not fade out after a few dozen feet here. With the Wolf padding along by our side, we follow the black chain down the Palpatine and across the Hills of Rome, although distance seems somewhat meaningless in this place and we seem to travel very quickly.

After some time, we finally come to a place where the chain does not so much end as go into the side of the Capitoline Hill. Around its edges we can see a small, ragged-edged grey hole, which is pulsing slightly, and seems to Heilyn and Wena, the most keen-eyed of our group, to grow infiniteismally larger as we stare at it.

"Where does that hole lead, Mother Wolf?" Metellus asks.

The Wolf, for the first time, looks less than serene - perhaps even a bit frightened. "It is not part of the Place of Forms."

Cornelia has a sudden insight, and pulls out her wax tablet. "It's a tunnel! Between the Place of Forms and the Place of False Visions!"

Marcus agrees with her, recalling the prophecy. "That must mean what the prophecy meant..."

Heilyn chimes in, "when it talked of the Place Between Places, and this bit:

and the Binder of Light and Dark
seeks to tear apart by chaining together,
and that which the first and the eighth decreed he will destroy."

And Cornelia interrupts to finish his thought, scribbling over her tablet and pulling out her copy of the soothsayer's prophecy, "and 'the dark tunnel
opened by obliteration.' Except I don't know what the obliteration means. But it seems like Scaevola is trying to get from the Place of False Visions to here, and sort of already has, and is trying to connect them somehow. "

"What would happen if this hole got much larger?" Metellus asks the Wolf.

"I do not know for certain," she mindspeaks. "But it could meld the Places."

Heilyn writes, "Maybe that's how he's going to make, you know, the City, into the Other City."

Marcus ponders and asks the Wolf, "Are there any other holes like this around here?"

"A few," she answers. "Much smaller, mere pinpricks. They have existed for many years."

"Do you know when this one was made?"

"It first appeared seven, nearly eight years ago now. But it was very small until recently, when it began to grow, as you can see."

While some of the group are unable to remember anything significant that happened about seven years ago, enough of us, by dint of hard concentration and the consulting of notes, realize that the date coincides with the destruction of the Ninth and the suicide of Gallus, the Emperor's brother.

"Loss of Eagles?" Marcus hazards a guess. "But we've gotten them all back, and then it should have closed when we returned the Eagle."

"Unnatural death in the Imperial family?" Metellus suggests. "But then there would be dozens of them."

Cornelia, meanwhile, has been consulting the prophecies, and looks up finally, her face pale. "'That which has been lost,' it says, and 'obliteration,' as the keys to the Place Between Places. It's damnatio memoriae. Damnatio memoriae must take someone's Form and, well, somehow send it to the Place of False Visions, creating a small tunnel between them."

We all draw a long, deep breath, as we realize the truth of her statement. And then Marcus, losing control for perhaps the first time since we have known him, scrawls out angrily, "Do you mean to tell me that that Celtic barbarian b-d sacrificed my entire Legion, 6000 good, brave men, and my Eagle, and the honor of Roma, all so that he could indirectly dig a tiny hole in reality?"

Arkhandus

First Post
Orichalcum said:
We all draw a long, deep breath, as we realize the truth of her statement. And then Marcus, losing control for perhaps the first time since we have known him, scrawls out angrily, "Do you mean to tell me that that Celtic barbarian b-d sacrificed my entire Legion, 6000 good, brave men, and my Eagle, and the honor of Roma, all so that he could indirectly dig a tiny hole in reality?"

There's a slap in the face.

*eagerly awaits more updates*

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: An Easy Descent Chp. 8: Falls the Shadow

This post is especially for Meloch's player who, as he mentioned, is currently in Afghanistan, in a fairly tricky situation. I'm going to try and post at least once a day until he's evacuated (within the week); as I missed yesterday, I'll do a double-length post today.

I'll also throw in a bonus post for the first person (who isn't a PC) who knows the origin of this post's chapter title.

Having realized at least what the Black Chain Philosopher was doing, if not precisely how, we wasted little time in preparing to enter the Gate of False Visions and confront him within his domain before he could break open the tunnel to the Place of Forms and turn nightmare into reality and love into bitterness. Furthermore, it is becoming increasingly difficult for anyone to remember anything about the Emperor's brother, or the Ninth Legion, or even their friend and companion the Centurion, so haste is clearly merited. Before leaving the Place of Forms, Marcus briefly meditates and concentrates on his wounds from the chains closing and healing. To others' surprise, although not Wena's, he finds that he needs to exert only the minimum of mental concentration to achieve full healing, and indeed, it seems almost impossible for him to lose his focus. Still, now is not the time for experimentation.

After she has led us back to the Gate, we salute the Wolf in respect. "We will meet again, one way or the other," she says, as we exit into the dark stone hallway of the Imperial Palace, slightly to the surprise of the Praetorian Guards carefully watching either end of the hallway. Llyr calls out "Tell Hadriana we're still working on it," while Cornelia glares at him for his casual tone. Meanwhile, Heilyn, with some trepidation, pulls open the bar on the tusk-decorated Gate of Ivory, gleaming to his eyes with strands of strange, flowing color amidst the shining white ivory panels. Beyond, all is a shadowy greyness. Holding hands in a line, we step through, drawing a long breath, and feel the thick fog on the other side surround us and pour into our very minds and souls for a brief second, as we desperately try to push it out by sheer mental force.

We find ourselves on the crowded, sunlit, Via Sacra of Roma, on a hot and fragrant day. We are all gazing up, of course, at Metellus, who stands proudly in his gleaming armor and scarlet cloak upon the triumphal chariot as it processes along the parade route. Behind him, trying to look unobtrusive, stands Llyr, holding the triumphal laurel wreath, while Metellus focuses on driving the perfectly matched Celtic mares down the street, and the rest of us crowd around him. Lucretius rides his elephant, Sapientia, a few paces behind the chariot, dressed in full Praetorian regalia. A look of joy and pride is on Metellus' face, especially as we pass the balcony of his parents' house, who wave to him with admiration in their eyes, and pretty girls throw flowers from the crowd.

While Metellus enjoys his moment of glory, the rest of us are, well, slightly bemused. This is not where we expected to be upon stepping through the Gate, certainly, and it's not clear exactly how this will help, either. Heilyn pokes a nearby paradegoer in the arm to confirm that, yes, the man is solid - and quite irritated at the shove. Cornelia and Wena turn to each other and confirm that, yes, this seems a little strange. Llyr, up on the chariot, ventures a word to Metellus, "Ah Tribune, sir, this is all very nice, but don't we have something else we should be doing?"

Metellus is confused, and a little hurt by Llyr's lack of appreciation for his achievements. "This is the most important day of my life, Llyr! What do you mean?"

Llyr, who finds himself still mindlinked, if weakly, to Wena and Cornelia, communicates silently to them, "Ladies, we have a problem," and gestures up at the oblivious, grinning Triumphator.

Marcus, meanwhile, starts looking out for something or someone to kill, convinced that a threat awaits, and warns Lucretius to do the same. For another minute or two, their paranoia seems particularly irrational, as the only danger appears to be death by flower projectiles.

Suddenly, an elderly woman, her face hidden by a cloak hood, steps out of the crowd, directly in front of Metellus's chariot, which he wheels to a halt, pulling sharply on the horses' reins. "Who are you," she shrieks, "Quintus Caecilius Metellus Minor, to dare to triumph in the streets of Roma? You're a coward, that's what you are! You ran from a filthy dog in the wilds of Britannia! You let your lackeys do all the killing for you! You fled in terror from the ghosts on the Isle of Mona! You aren't worthy of being a real Roman, let alone triumphing!"

Metellus shakes in shock and horror at her accusations. Marcus, meanwhile, pulls his sword, asking us generally, "So, can I kill her now?" Llyr nods enthusiastically and jumps off the chariot, loading his ballista, and Lucretius and Sapientia begin to move forward, but Cornelia shouts, "Wait! She's just an old woman! We don't know what's going on here!"

As the old woman continues to spew invective, the formerly cheering crowd begins booing and hissing Metellus, the Coward, and instead of flowers, rotten fish and vegetables begin to be thrown at our party. (It's at this point that I hide under the chariot and hang on tight - one of those turnips could kill me!)

Metellus tries to stammer out a defense of his actions, as the woman walks closer to him, screaming "Coward" and "Bully." Just as Llyr leaps off the chariot, in front of Metellus, she pulls back her hood, revealing first, momentarily, the face of Hadriana, then that of Cornelia, before shifting finally to a long-forgotten but much-hated visage - the cruel, harsh features of Aeduana, Chief Druid of all Britannia. And a few seconds later, the woman turns into an equally familiar enormous mountain cat, many feet long, and the crowd scatters in terror.

"Now," Lucretius shouts, "Now you can kill her. If I don't get there first." While Metellus cowers in fear, Marcus, Llyr, Lucretius, and Heilyn advance upon the tiger. Llyr pauses to reload his ballista for a second, murmuring, "I knew it was a good idea to save a couple of the special Aeduana-target bolts, just in case," before launching a devastating attack upon the tiger's head with the ballista. Lucretius and Sapientia trample over the Aeduana-tiger's tail and rear legs, while Marcus and Heilyn deal massive damage to her front half. Marcus, in fact, is the only one of this group who has fought Aeduana before, and he notices with some slight surprise that it seems much easier to hit her this time. "My skills in fighting have truly grown," he thinks briefly to himself, before taking out some of his recent anger on the giant feline, with extreme prejudice.

In a remarkably short amount of time, the remaining crowds in the streets are taking home wildcat steaks to feed their families, and we return to the confused but calmer Metellus.
"Metellus," Cornelia says gently, "This isn't real. We need to go fight the Black Chain Philosopher now."

"But....Aeduana....and my triumph!" Metellus stammers.

"We've killed Aeduana. She's dead. She won't trouble you again, sir, and you're not a coward," Marcus asserts.

"And you'll have a triumph someday - but for now, we have more trials to face ahead. Concentrate on our quest, and rescuing Cimbrus, please," Cornelia tries to reassure the Tribune. Some combination of their words and the very dead Aeduana seems finally to strike home, and Metellus nods. "You're right. It's time to go on."

The fog creeps up the Roman street, blotting out the sky, and surrounds us all again, choking us as it slips into our lungs and eyes and ears.

Fimmtiu

First Post
Orichalcum said:
I'll also throw in a bonus post for the first person (who isn't a PC) who knows the origin of this post's chapter title.

Well, the first thing that springs to mind is Eliot:

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
(For thine is the Kingdom)

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
(Life is very long)

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: An Easy Descent Chp. 8: Valley of Dying Stars

Yep, Fimmtiu, it's from T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men," as will be subsequent chapters in this sequence. I should also mention that I originally borrowed the name from a LARP run by Llyr's player in an overall plot designed by Fajitas, Blackjack, and Heilyn's player.

As the fog settles around us, we find ourselves hip-deep in a murky, chilly swamp. Pallid grey-green trees, mostly willows and large ferns, arc over us, and we can see perch and salmon swimming through the muddy water around us. Somewhat surprisingly, we are all dressed in green and blue hides and fur, although we carry our own weapons and are clearly recognizable to each other. There are also about two dozen people standing around us - mostly elderly or nursing women and children, and a few old men, wearing similar clothing to ours and elaborately decorated with woad tattoos.

Looking around, most of us seem similarly confused by our surroundings, but Wena has sunk into the mud, hiding herself behind a clump of reeds while clutching her knees and whimpering softly. Cornelia bends down beside her.

"What's wrong, Wena?" she asks.

"Ssshhhh! Mama said to be quiet. We have to be quiet, or they'll find us!" Wena responds, terror evident in her voice.

Marcus notices that the other adults are all beginning to push the children behind trees or into bushes, and calmly suggests to Metellus that, at least until they find out what's going on, they set up a defensive perimeter. Metellus agrees and the rest of our party, besides Cornelia, Wena, and me, takes up position around the group, weapons drawn.

Cornelia meanwhile, continues to try and coax information out of Wena. Whispering gently to her, she inquires, "Who are 'they?' Who's looking for us? And where's your Mama?"

"The Romans! The Romans are coming! Mama went away to stop them, and now I don't know where she is. Where is she?" Wena is clearly on the edge of tears.

Just about at this point, Marcus hears the very familiar sound of legionaries tromping across swampland, a task he himself had to do all to often. From quick consultation with the rest of the watchers, they realize that the troops number nearly a century, if not more, and that they are coming towards them from three sides. He turns to the Tribune, "Sir, we have to leave, now. I don't know what exactly this is or what Wena's remembering or imagining, but we can't face 100 trained legionaries, not, at least, when the real battle still lies ahead."

The word is passed, and Cornelia reaches down and pulls Wena up, away from her hiding place. "Wena, we have to run now, we have to escape the Romans. You need to come with us. "

"But we have to hide! And this is where Mama's going to find me!" Wena pleads.

Cornelia, biting her lip and thanking her mother mentally for certain skills, decides the time for gentle, truthful persuasion is past. "We'll find your Mama where we're going, dear. You need to come with us to be safe and get to her."

As we all turn to run, or at least slosh, through the swamp, we can see the spectres of large numbers of Roman legionaries (bearing, Marcus notes with interest, the insignia of the VIth) crashing through the trees towards us. They all carry large nets, woven with black chains, which they begin to throw onto the helpless Iceni refugees and drag them away.

"Right," Metellus yells. "Run! We definitely don't want to get trapped by those!" A chase through the swamp ensues, with legionaries appearing from all sides. But Llyr is skilled at finding the best path, and Heilyn quickly talks with the local water and tree spirits and persuades them to place obstacles in the Legionaries' way, and eventually, dirty, spattered, and tired, we reach the end of the swamp and can no longer hear the yells and trumpets of the Roman troops.

"You're safe, Wena," Heilyn gruffly tells her. "The Romans aren't going to get you. Now it's time to wake up, and fight the real enemy, the Black Chain Philosopher."

This statement and other reassurances from the rest of our group finally calm Wena down, and as she begins to meditate, trying to push her emotions and fear out of the way, we see the fog roll up around us again.

"Concentrate on Cimbrus and the Black Chain Philosopher," Metellus yells, just a few seconds too late.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Orichalcum said:
I should also mention that I originally borrowed the name from a LARP run by Llyr's player in an overall plot designed by Fajitas, Blackjack, and Heilyn's player.

See, that's what I was gonna say, but I figured I'd just be being obnoxious.

This game is awesome, by the way, he said, lauding your genius, 'cause, well, I owe you.

Meloch the Pygmy

First Post
Orichalcum said:
This post is especially for Meloch's player who, as he mentioned, is currently in Afghanistan, in a fairly tricky situation. I'm going to try and post at least once a day until he's evacuated (within the week); as I missed yesterday, I'll do a double-length post today.

Thanks, Chalks. Very much appreciated. By tomorrow, I should be "safe" back in Kabul, incidentally. And hopefully leaving for London by Thursday. But feel free to keep up the daily updates for as long as you like -- they're delightful.

Orichalcum

First Post
Alea Iacta IX: An Easy Descent Chp. 9: Paralyzed Force

As the fog clears again, we find ourselves back in the familiar streets of Roma, dressed again in our normal gear - or lack of it, in my case. (I keep asking for a toga, but no, apparently those are reserved for citizens. ) We appear to be near the Forum Romanum, and the streets are crowded with jostling passersby, many of them, from a quick sniff, drunk. It appears to be some sort of festival day, as many of the passersby are holding half-empty drinking vessels and adorned with flowers and tawdry brass jewelry. We are shoved together at one side of the street, on a corner, gazing around us.

At least, that's true for all of us except Lucretius, who looms above us on her Praetorian, goddess-given elephant, Sapientia. Lucretius smiles vaguely down in our direction, before turning and wheeling Sapientia neatly across the main path. "Please move slowly and carefully, good citizens! Watch your families, and be wary of pickpockets!" the young decurion shouts piercingly.

Marcus, determined to focus on our larger mission, calls up, "Lucretius, we're not really here! We need to go kill the Black Chain Philosopher. Now!"

In the tumult of the crowd, however, Lucretius doesn't seem to hear Marcus' words, and continues scanning the mob for potential troublemakers. The rest of us turn towards each other.

"We have to find some way to get closer to him or up on the elephant," Llyr comments.

"Preferably before things turn nasty again, " Heilyn adds.

Just at that moment, a cry goes up from somewhere back in the crowd. "There's free food and wine in the Forum! They've got stuffed sows' udders!"

The mob of people roars in delight as everyone starts pressing forward, as urgent as possible, towards the Forum.

"Sows' udders!"
"Falernian wine!"
"I hear they've got poached peahen eggs!"

The people in the crowd show little care or respect for each other, and the movement forward is getting increasingly violent. Marcus and Heilyn, our largest fighters, step protectively in front of Wena and Cornelia, shielding them with their bodies. Lucretius, meanwhile, is desperately trying to wheel Sapientia to maintain an orderly line and press the people in the street back.

The mob begins to get nasty, accusing Lucretius of wanting to keep all the roasted finches for the Praetorians, and they start throwing stones and empty amphorae at Sapientia, who seems nervous but unhurt. We go into action at this point and begin focusing on deflecting missiles from Lucretius and clearing a path.

A little boy, however, darts under the legs of the elephant, trying to find a way through, at the same time that some old grocer-woman drives her walking stick into Sapientia's rear right leg. Sapientia stumbles for a second, and Cornelia and Wena can see the look of panic on Lucretius' face as the Praetorian realizes that the boy is about to be crushed under the elephant's weight, and there is nothing at all she can do about it.

But just at that moment, Llyr dives between Sapientia's legs, grabs the child, and rolls out the other side, both parties remaining unharmed. And with all of our help, and a few well-placed mental suggestions and Charms by Wena, Cornelia, and Heilyn, the crowd reluctantly shuffles into a line of sorts. Llyr, meanwhile, having returned the boy to a semi-grateful father, swarms up Sapientia's back, bare-handed, and grabs Lucretius gently by the shoulder. "You're a good Praetorian, Lucretius, whatever else you are. And now we need to go defend the Empire and rescue Caesar."

Lucretius blinks twice, and nods, and the fog rolls in around us.

Remove ads