• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alt Assassin

Akhkharu

First Post
I don't really like the idea that assassin's get spells so:
Basically take the assassin as in the DmG but with the following changes.
Removed spells.
Added Silent Step
Added Fearful Reputation

Silent Steps: The Assassin has become so adapt at moving around silently that he can travel at normal speed while trying to move silently.

Fearful Reputation: The Assassin’s name has become so feared that just mentioning it is thought to bring his attention to you. Those that do speak his name, whisper it in hushed silence while making the sign to ward off the evil spirits. Anyone within 30 ft. must make a Will Save DC 12 + Cha + Assassin level. Those who failed the save becomes shaken. This increases to frightened at level 7 and terrified at level 10. This is a supernatural ability and can be done a total of Cha + Assassin level times per day.
Shaken: Characters who are shaken suffer a –2 morale penalty to attack rolls, saves, and checks.
Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and in addition they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can, although they can choose the path of their flight. Other than that stipulation, once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want. However, if the duration of their fear continues, characters can be forced to flee once more if the source of their fear presents itself again. Characters unable to flee can fight (though they are still shaken).
Panicked: Characters who are panicked are shaken, and in addition they have a 50% chance to drop what they’re holding, and they run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. Other than running away from the source, their path is random. They flee from all other dangers that confront them rather than facing those dangers. Panicked characters cower if they are prevented from fleeing.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

graydoom

First Post
Well, first, this is (IMO) a definite improvement over the DMG Assassin. I never thought that spells were appropriate for an Assassin.

Silent Step: Looks cool, doesn't seem to me to have any balance problems, and fits the Assassin. Thumbs up!

Fearful Reputation: Heh, funny ability. If the Assassin meets some people and starts whispering his own name :D :D.... You might want to change it so that it only works when someone other than the Assassin says it... but if you want it this way go for it, but it will give Assassins a big advantage vs low-level characters and monsters.

pontus

First Post
graydoom said:
Well, first, this is (IMO) a definite improvement over the DMG Assassin. I never thought that spells were appropriate for an Assassin.
And neither do I feel that every assassin should be able to cast spells. But it seems the Assassin prestige class was originally constructed as a Guild Assassin of Grayhawk.

I'm not so sure about the Fearful Reputation ability being appropriate, though. Wouldn't an assassin that can move unnoticed be slightly more efficient than one who leaves crowds paralyzed with fear wherever he goes?
;)

niko718

First Post
Kinda works...but suggest

If you are going to use this ability, then I suggest something like this.

Fearful Reputation (Ex): The Assassin’s reputation has become so feared that just by looking at him there is a chance that the target will become paralyzed with fear. It takes effect automatically when the assassin performs some sort of dramatic action (such as charging, attacking, or snarling). Opponents within range who witness the action may become paralyzed from fear.
This ability affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the assassin has. An affected opponent can resist the effects with a successful Will save with a DC of 10 + the assassin's level + assassin's Charisma modifier. An opponent who succeeds at the saving throw is immune to the assassin's frightful presence for one day.
If the opponent fails the save, they will be paralyzed for a duration that is dependent on the assassin's level.

To determine the duration that a target is paralyzed after failing a will check, see the list below.

Level of Assassin / duration of paralysis of target

1-3 / 1 round and will be shaken after paralysis expires
4-6 / 2 rounds and will be frightened after paralysis expires
7+ / 3 rounds and will be panicked after paralysis expires

Various Effects

Paralyzed: A paralyzed or held character cannot move, speak, or take any physical action. He is rooted to the spot, frozen and helpless. Not even friends can move his limbs. He may take purely mental actions, such as casting a spell with no components.
Paralysis works on the body, and a character can usually resist it with a Fortitude saving throw. Hold is a mind-affecting enchantment, and a character usually resists it with a Will saving throw.
A winged creature flying in the air at the time that it is held or paralyzed cannot flap its wings and falls. A swimmer can't swim and may drown.

Shaken: A shaken character suffers a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, checks, and saving throws. Shaken is a less severe fear condition than frightened or panicked.

Frightened: A creature that is frightened flees as well as it can. If unable to flee, the creature may fight. It suffers a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, checks, and saving throws. A frightened creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.
Frightened is like shaken, except that the creature must flee, if possible. Panicked is a more extreme condition of fear.

Panicked: A panicked creature suffers a -2 morale penalty on saving throws and must flee. A panicked creature has a 50% chance to drop what he's holding, chooses his path randomly (as long as he is getting away from immediate danger), and flees any other dangers that confront him. If cornered, a panicked creature cowers. A creature may use a special ability or spell to escape.
|Panicked is a more extreme state of fear than shaken or frightened.

The above suggested ability makes more sense to me and has no limit as how often as it is used. As for the duration of the shaken, frightened, and panicked effects, I will leave this up to you.

Last edited:

Remove ads