Altaruk, on the Sea of Silt... (Dark Sun 4E Recruiting)

dave_o

Explorer
Looking for five players for a 4E Dark Sun campaign! I will be trying out some of the 4E modules, well, more like cannibalizing them for my own purposes in this campaign. I've been a DM for over the years, but I've never run a module based campaign before so I'm stoked!

The campaign will be in Altaruk, a city in the Tablelands, which is a heavily fortified trading outpost. While your PCs don't need to be from Altaruk necessarily, they will need to have a reason to be there at the beginning of the campaign, I'll handle the rest... ;)

CHARACTER GENERATION
Use Method 2! Create Level 1 PCs, I'm pretty open to anything -- we won't be using the Wild Talents in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, however, but feel free to use the Character Themes from DSCS and any Backgrounds. Use standard wealth, but keep in mind Dark Sun's material guidelines -- no metal! There are substitutes in the DSCS, too. Don't forget in Dark Sun, no Clerics or Paladins! The gods are silent!

THEME
I'm a huge fan of the 2E Dark Sun setting, so this campaign will be pretty dark in nature, though I will be following the "canon" from the 4E Dark Sun. While I have no problem with evil characters, keep in mind we will be doing a lot of roleplaying, and in a grim world like Dark Sun there's a lot of evil around.

Post your submissions in this thread in whatever format is easiest for you, as well as a description of your character (not necessarily physical, think a synopsis of what they're all about) and a picture if you'd like! We'll get started as soon as we have five solid submissions.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I find myself without a 4e game, and would love to be a part of this one.

Kai Tohimon
Human Hybrid Monk|Ranger

Description: Kai is a somewhat fey young man. Perhaps he's spent just a little too much time alone in the desert, suntouched or just naturally that way. Still, Athas is no place for those who cannot care for themselves, and Kai is definitely a capable survivor. Driven when he has a goal, prone to wandering when he doesn't. No longer tied to any particular place or people, he needs a purpose to guide him, but for now the business of living each day on Athas occupies him.

Background: Born to one of the smaller communities on the edge of civilization, Kai was neither city-dweller nor true nomad. Although he was quick to pick up the skills needed to scratch a living from the unforgiving desert, he also had a stronger touch of psionic power running through him than most. From his brother he learned to hunt, to augment his family's meager lot. From his mind he learned to master his own body.

He was out in the desert meditating when the raiders struck the settlement. He blames himself more than a little. Perhaps if he'd been there he could have done something, saved something. But by the time he returned, drawn back by smoke on the horizon, there was nothing. Since then he has wandered, perfecting his arts, making what living he could and surviving when he couldn't. He's recently found his way to Altaruk, tagging along as a guard and guide on a small caravan . . . but he doesn't think he'll stay long.

Other Notes: Striker, ranged combatant. The blend of ranger and monk allows him a great deal of mobility. He'll focus on his bow, but the monk half means he can defend himself and escape if enemies close with him.

Attachments

• Kai.dnd4e
    217.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Kai_Tohimon_by_Werdandi.jpg
    Kai_Tohimon_by_Werdandi.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 198

dave_o

Explorer
I find myself without a 4e game, and would love to be a part of this one.

Kai Tohimon
Human Hybrid Monk|Ranger

Description: Kai is a somewhat fey young man. Perhaps he's spent just a little too much time alone in the desert, suntouched or just naturally that way. Still, Athas is no place for those who cannot care for themselves, and Kai is definitely a capable survivor. Driven when he has a goal, prone to wandering when he doesn't. No longer tied to any particular place or people, he needs a purpose to guide him, but for now the business of living each day on Athas occupies him.

Background: Born to one of the smaller communities on the edge of civilization, Kai was neither city-dweller nor true nomad. Although he was quick to pick up the skills needed to scratch a living from the unforgiving desert, he also had a stronger touch of psionic power running through him than most. From his brother he learned to hunt, to augment his family's meager lot. From his mind he learned to master his own body.

He was out in the desert meditating when the raiders struck the settlement. He blames himself more than a little. Perhaps if he'd been there he could have done something, saved something. But by the time he returned, drawn back by smoke on the horizon, there was nothing. Since then he has wandered, perfecting his arts, making what living he could and surviving when he couldn't. He's recently found his way to Altaruk, tagging along as a guard and guide on a small caravan . . . but he doesn't think he'll stay long.

Other Notes: Striker, ranged combatant. The blend of ranger and monk allows him a great deal of mobility. He'll focus on his bow, but the monk half means he can defend himself and escape if enemies close with him.

I looked around and couldn't find any software to view that .dnd4e file, I assume it's from the WotC software -- is there any way you could export it to a .pdf file or something like that?

hafrogman

Adventurer
I looked around and couldn't find any software to view that .dnd4e file, I assume it's from the WotC software -- is there any way you could export it to a .pdf file or something like that?
Ah yeah, it requires the DDI Character Builder. Here you go.

Attachments

• Kai2.pdf
    910.8 KB · Views: 214

Shayuri

First Post
Interested. Brainstorming concepts.

Thinking some kind of psionicist...or perhaps an arcanist masquerading as one...brainstorming still...

drothgery

First Post
Hmm. Maybe a shaman (wilderness nomad or elemental priest; probably an Eagle shaman, especially if we have multiple ranged strikers)?

Ardie, elf shaman
Description: She was a creature of the desert, raised from birth in a small nomad sect of elemental fire priests and their followers. Nothing was exceptional in her appearance, for a desert-bred elf; she was of average height and weight, and her sun-bleached dark hair was not uncommon. But she had the true calling; the spirits answered her calls, and the band's handful of archers knew all too well how much her presense aided them when trouble struck. Her band had passed through Altaruk to trade for those few items the city folk have that are useful, but difficult to find or make in the desert before, and that was where they found themselves again.

[sblock=Character Builder Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Adrie, level 1
Elf, Shaman
Build: Eagle Shaman
Companion Spirit Option: Watcher Spirit
Dark Sun
Southern Wastes - Secret Order (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Elemental Priest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 18, INT 11, WIS 18, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 8

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +9, Insight +9, Nature +11, Perception +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +0, Athletics +0, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +1, History +0, Intimidate –1, Religion +0, Stealth +4, Streetwise –1, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Priest Feature: Spirit of Athas
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Prey
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Shaman Attack 1: Claws of the Eagle
Shaman Attack 1: Haunting Spirits
Shaman Attack 1: Stormhawk's Fury
Shaman Attack 1: Spirit of the Healing Flood

FEATS
Level 1: Totem Expertise

ITEMS
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Dagger x1
Totem x1
Longbow
Arrows
====== End ======[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I know it's a weird notion in Dark Sun, but what do you think about a 'warforged' Warden? The idea being that it's some kind of old, primal-made construct from before the cataclysm that's been reactivated. A kind of primal spirit inhabiting a body of obsidian and plant fiber, like a sentient, quasi-living golem.

Otherwise...perhaps a human/elan psion...

Though I don't wish to step on Walking Dad's toes if he goes with that class.

drothgery

First Post
CHARACTER GENERATION
Use Method 2! Create Level 1 PCs, I'm pretty open to anything -- we won't be using the Wild Talents in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, however, but feel free to use the Character Themes from DSCS and any Backgrounds.
Does this mean only the DSCS themes are allowed, or can we use anything?

Edit: I like Primordial Adept (Heroes of the Elemental Chaos) more than Elemental Priest (Dark Sun).

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
If you cannot play your warden, I will change my tiefling to sorcerer (fire elementalist).

Edit: If you dislike Tieflings and Dragonborn in DarkSun, I will change to a half-elf sorcerer (earth elementalist).

Last edited:

Remove ads