Altaruk, on the Sea of Silt... (Dark Sun 4E Recruiting)

Caim

First Post
I would love to through my hat into the mix but my 4th Ed. fu is weak at best since I haven't played it since launch. I'll watch the game thread and see how everything goes.

Inspiratorium

First Post
Um, I'd like to toss in my ballot as well. I just got around to looking at the Bladesinger, and I really wanna try out that class.

Of course, if its not DS setting appropriate and you think I should go with a more generic class, I was looking at either a Swordmage (also technically not DS but a bit moreso) or an Ardent?

dave_o

Explorer
Ah yeah, it requires the DDI Character Builder. Here you go.

Kai is looking good! The concept of a human herder who simply DGAF fits well into Dark Sun, especially when I start going for his emotional soft spots...

This will be about as RP heavy as 4E can get, so think about some other things he has encountered in the wastes, how it has shaped him, and so on.

Does this mean only the DSCS themes are allowed, or can we use anything?

Edit: I like Primordial Adept (Heroes of the Elemental Chaos) more than Elemental Priest (Dark Sun).

Keeping Dark Sun, Dark Sun, is all about restrictions, so I say let's stick with the DSCS theme.

Also, did you realize I'm in your backyard? I live in Ocean Beach! I have been trying to get a face to face group going forever now, you should join in -- we already play my old ass copy of Hero Quest about once a week.

I know it's a weird notion in Dark Sun, but what do you think about a 'warforged' Warden? The idea being that it's some kind of old, primal-made construct from before the cataclysm that's been reactivated. A kind of primal spirit inhabiting a body of obsidian and plant fiber, like a sentient, quasi-living golem.

Otherwise...perhaps a human/elan psion...

Though I don't wish to step on Walking Dad's toes if he goes with that class.

Here's my concession -- create the psion, and if there's a cool spot in the campaign I will work in something along the lines of the war forged into the plot and let you take it over as a PC (if your character is one of the 5 PCs, of course).

Definitely interested. Most likely a Tiefling Psion.
Will post more later!

In which case, it looks like you'd be creating an arcane magic user trying to keep it on the DL. Which is really fun!

Um, I'd like to toss in my ballot as well. I just got around to looking at the Bladesinger, and I really wanna try out that class.

Of course, if its not DS setting appropriate and you think I should go with a more generic class, I was looking at either a Swordmage (also technically not DS but a bit moreso) or an Ardent?

Digging Ardent. Once again, Dark Sun is really about what you can't do instead of what you can.

THEME
I'm a huge fan of the 2E Dark Sun setting, so this campaign will be pretty dark in nature, though I will be following the "canon" from the 4E Dark Sun. While I have no problem with evil characters, keep in mind we will be doing a lot of roleplaying, and in a grim world like Dark Sun there's a lot of evil around.

Just a reminder, I'm going to try and have this campaign be pretty serious in tone, or as serious as 4E sort of is designed to handle. Loving the submissions so far!

drothgery

First Post
Keeping Dark Sun, Dark Sun, is all about restrictions, so I say let's stick with the DSCS theme.
Okay, Ardie's theme has been updated to Elemental Priest. Which meant flipping her implement from a rod to a totem (Primordial Adept gave Rod proficiency) and swapping expertise feats. Also gave her a bow even though I don't expect her to use it much because elf.

Also, did you realize I'm in your backyard? I live in Ocean Beach! I have been trying to get a face to face group going forever now, you should join in -- we already play my old ass copy of Hero Quest about once a week.
For some reason, I kept reading your location as Oceanside, not OB. I'm kind-of trying to recruit a player or two for the tabletop game I play in , though that seems to be stuck in 3.x right now.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
In which case, it looks like you'd be creating an arcane magic user trying to keep it on the DL. Which is really fun!
Sorry, not a native speaker. "keep it on the DL" is similar to "keep it secret"?
Will go with Tiefling fire elementalist (Wilder theme) then :devil:

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
dr-flamulus.jpg

[sblock=sheet]Jalim, level 1
Tiefling, Sorcerer (Fire Elementalist)
Background: Dark Secret (Arcana +2)
Theme: Wilder

[sblock=Features]
Racial Abilities
Bloodhunt - +1 Racial bonus to attack rolls vs bloodied foes
Fire Resistance - 5 + 1/2 lvl
Infernal Wrath encounter power - see powers

Class Features
Elemental Bolt - see powers
Elemental Magic - You gain a bonus to the damage of arcane powers equal to your Con mod; Use Con instead of Dex or Int to determine AC; Gain sorcrer at-will attack power at 9th and 19th level.
Elemental Specialty (Fire Elementalist) - Gain Blazing Cloud or Ignition power (Ignition was chosen); Elemental bold deals fire damage and gains +1d6 extra damage

[/sblock]

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 16
HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Bluff +11, Endurance +9, Nature +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Arcana +0, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +0, Heal +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidation +4, Perception +0, Religion +0, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise
(+1 with staff attack, reach, not provoking OAs for ranged attacks)

POWERS
At-will 1: Elemental Blast
Element At-will 1: Ignition
Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Wilder Encounter: Psychic Surge
Encounter: Elemental Escalation

[sblock=Powers]
Elemental Bolt (At-Will Standard Ranged 10 ✦ Arcane, Elemental, Implement, Fire) Sorcerer 1
Target: One Creature
Attack: +5 vs Reflex
Hit: 1d12+1d6+10 fire damage (Crit: 28 fire damage)
Special: This power can be used as a ranged basic attack.

Ignition (At-Will Standard Area burst 1 within 10 squares ✦ Arcane, Elemental, Fire, Implement, Zone) Sorcerer 1
Target: Each creature in the burst
Attack: +5 vs Fortitude
Hit: 1d10+10 fire damage (Crit: 20 fire damage)
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the start of Jalim's next turn. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes 4 fire damage. A creature can take this damage only once per turn.

Elemental Escalation (Fire) (Encounter Free Action Personal ✦ Arcane, Elemental, Fire) Sorcerer 1
Trigger: Jalim uses a sorcerer at-will attack power.
Effect: Jalim can make one additional creature a target of the triggering attack. If the attack's range is melee or ranged, the additional target must be within 5 squares of him. If the attack's range is area or close, the additional target must be adjacent to the burst or blast.
Each target hit by the attack takes 1d10 extra damage of the type dealt by the triggering attack. In addition, Jalim shifts up to half his speed as a free action.

Infernal Wrath (Encounter Free Close burst 10 ✦ Fire) Tiefling Racial
Target: The triggering enemy in burst
Trigger: An enemy within 10 squares of Jalim hits him
Effect: The target takes 1d6+4 fire damage.

[/sblock]

ITEMS
Adventurers Kit, Staff, Cloth Armor[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Sorry, not a native speaker. "keep it on the DL" is similar to "keep it secret"?
Will go with Tiefling fire elementalist (Wilder theme) then :devil:

Short for "keep it on the down low," which means exactly what you said. :)

I'll work up a psion as well...and honestly, don't worry about working in warforged or anything for me to swap with. I'll probably want to stick with the psion if I start with one.

There's lots of games I can mess with warforged concepts too...this is fine for me. :)

dave_o

Explorer
dr-flamulus.jpg

[sblock=sheet]Jalim, level 1
Tiefling, Sorcerer (Fire Elementalist)
Background: ?
Theme: Wilder

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 16
HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +11, Endurance +9, Nature +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +0, Arcana +0, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +0, Heal +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidation +4, Nature +0, Perception +0, Religion +0, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Expertise

POWERS
At-will 1: Elemental Blast
Element At-will 1: Ignition
Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Wilder Encounter: Psychic Surge
Encounter: Elemental Escalation

ITEMS
Adventurers Kit, Staff, Cloth Armor[/sblock]

Looking good! This would be a heavy character to role-play, keep in mind! You'll want to think about how the PC feels about their demonic heritage, how it came about, how they feel about their arcane powers, have they ever Defiled, etc.

Are you up to the challenge? ;)

EDIT: With Kai (halfrogman), Ardie (drothgery), Jalim (Walking Dad), Psion (Shayuri), and Ardent (Inspiratorium) that would be the 5 PCs we would need to get started, but if you're reading this feel free to submit additional submissions in case someone drops, makes a really lame PC, etc.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I will try my best. He regards his ability as natural, as all tieflings have a fire attack racial power. He will not overtly use his powers, but in a pinch, trying to bluff others that he uses pyrokinesis and not fire magic.

Remove ads