Altaruk, on the Sea of Silt... (Dark Sun 4E Recruiting)

Shayuri

First Post
Here's my pitch. An noble from Tyr, the product of what was effectively a psionic breeding program between a small cabal of noble houses. Young enough that she has ideals; naive enough to truly believe she can use them to make the world better. She has left Tyr and traveled to the Tablelands along with one of the convoys to this "quaint" and "charming" little town to seek her fortune and spread the good word.

She thinks she's thought of everything. She's studied the wastes, she's equipped herself appropriately, she's even learned the 'trade speak' of the elven tongue. Time will tell if the centuries of careful selection that went into her will provide her with the power and fortitude to endure the challenges of the world beyond Tyr's safe walls...or if she will become another set of bones bleaching in the pitiless sun of Athas.

Printime, level 1
Human, Psion
Discipline Focus Option: Shaper Focus
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Dark Sun
Tyr - Noble of Conscience (Endurance class skill)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 13, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 13, CHA 14

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Ref: 15 Will: 15
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Diplomacy +7, Endurance +7, Insight +6, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Athletics –1, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History +4, Intimidate +2, Nature +1, Religion +4, Stealth +0, Streetwise +2, Thievery +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Psion Feature: Shaped Consciousness
Psion Feature: Minor Creation
Feat Utility: Elan Resilience
Wild Talent Cantrip: Telekinetic Grasp
Psion Attack 1: Static Mote
Psion Attack 1: Dishearten
Psion Attack 1: Living Missile

FEATS
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 1: Ritual Caster (class)
Level 1: Elan Heritage (human bonus)

ITEMS
Cash
- 25gp, 9sp
Ritual Book
- Purify Water
- Sending
Alchemical Reagents (Arcana) x20
Backpack (empty)
Waterskin
Mirror
Writing case
Fine Clothing (worn)
Dagger
Bedroll
Survival Day x4
====== End ======

Inspiratorium

First Post
Can somebody clarify for me what "method 2" means?

Otherwise, I think I've gotten a character idea:

~

Marel
[sblock=Background]The first thing that Marel remembers is the heat of the day in the arid plains. The second thing he remembers is the terrible cold of the night. The third, the endless hunger.
Marel was cast out from the society of elves a week after he was born and left to die. Though his mother did her best to keep him out of the public eye and prevent her clan from learning his heritage, they eventually discovered it and had him cast out into the desert.

To this day, Marel is still not certain how he survived so long. Whether it was luck, or an awakening psionic power, there was something that shielded him from the harshness of the weather and the roaming beasts until he was discovered by a nomadic band of escaped mul, who took him in as a fellow half-breed and outcast.

These mul had taken on the profession of trading, and as Marel grew, they taught him to help in plying their craft. Around this time, he began to notice strange sensations. Bits of emotion from those around him flitted in and out of his mind: fear, distrust, anger, disgust, and try as he might, he couldn't control them. His fellow traders regarded this as a boon -- his ability to read emotions would come as a great gift to their efforts as traders. Marel thought otherwise.

When in a world as bleak and harsh as Athas, having uncensored pieces of emotion continuously floating through your mind is as much a curse as it is a gift. Others can lie to themselves, close their eyes and make it all go away. Marel, however, couldn't. He learned all the things that are wrong in the world; those around him told him whether he wished to know or not.

The one thing that kept him from going mad in the first few months of his awakening was the occasional, brief glimpse of happiness, of relief, of love, the brief glimpse of hope. Thus when his friends asked him to hone his talents in reading others to help in their trading, he consented.

Around the age of 17, the traders he called his family disbanded, and Marel was left alone again to fend for himself. Originally, he thought that moving into a city and using his gift to earn a living would be sufficient, but he soon found that in a large city, where thousands of emotions are experienced every second, he could not focus. Thus, he took to the road to find a more suitable habitat.

Eventually, his journeys took him to Altaruk. As a former trader, he felt oddly at home, even around a city. He made his own shelter a mile or so away from it and has been living there, trading with those that come and go and sharing stories (knowingly or not).[/sblock]

Attachments

• Marel.xls
    164 KB · Views: 90

drothgery

First Post
Method 2 is 4e's point-buy system method (Method 1 being the default array). Your stats are right.
... though Method 1 is a viable point buy under Method 2, so it's really impossible to tell them apart (heck, many plausible results from rolling dice are reasonable point buy results, too).

hafrogman

Adventurer
... though Method 1 is a viable point buy under Method 2, so it's really impossible to tell them apart.
It's only impossible to tell them apart in one direction. In this case his stats do not meet the requirements for Method 1, but do meet Method 2. *shrug*

dave_o

Explorer
So, let me get my ducks in a row here...

DRAMATIS PERSONAE
  • Kai Tohimon, Human Monk/Ranger 1 (played by hafrogman)
  • Ardie, Elf Shaman 1 (played by drothgery)
  • Jalim, Tiefling Sorcerer 1 (played by Walking Dad)
  • Printime, Human Psion 1 (played by Shayuri)
  • Maren, Half-Elf Ardent 1 (played by Inspiratorium)

That looks like five characters to me! I looked over all the character sheets, but I'm a bit of an old school guy so I won't be meticulously going over your sheets or anything -- I trust y'all not to cheat, and to post the right crap haha. Very diverse group of PCs!

I've started an Obsidian Portal campaign if y'all would be cool enough to post your characters up there! The wiki will be a nice resource.

This is going to be my first module based campaign, which means I will be stitching together a campaign from various printed modules! No worries tho, I'll make it seamless for y'all. (And I've been DMing for like 10 years, just no modules surprisingly.)

That said, we'll have to do a little railroading off the bat...

INTRODUCING RHOTAN VOR AND THE FAVOR TO HOUSE WAVIR...

Perhaps you saw the ragged caravans limping through the western gate, hiding beneath Altaruk's protective walls, or maybe you heard about it through the proverbial grapevine, perhaps even seeing Rhotan Vor himself angrily dispatching pages to nail up posters --

"100 GOLDEN WAVIR DISCS, UPON RETURN TO CARGO OF SOME WINE, WOOD, AND GRAIN

report to House Wavir Trading Post morning of this First Day of Sorrow for sorting"

One of the hottest months of the year, beginning consequently, tomorrow. Usually how it goes with these things is the countless fools who turn up for the job are sorted into search parties, some descend into squabbling right away, others head the wrong direction, and occasionally one or two pull through -- usually repeat offenders, professionals.

100 golden marks wasn't that big of a purse, though -- just the right size to try and snatch, it wouldn't draw the bloodthirsty mercenaries a larger reward would.

Or perhaps you're after something else? Favor with House Wavir? Keeping the cargo for yourself? Fetching a price on the black market?

CAMPAIGN START

The game will begin with the PCs meeting up at House Wavir's Trading Post for sorting! However, it's always a bummer when your PbP STARTS without someone letting you know! So we won't actually begin until everyone posts to confirm they're aware we are about to go!

drothgery

First Post
Ready, though my tabletop game is on Wednesdays and some networking issues are making it tough to do gaming stuff on breaks on my work laptop so it might not be until tomorrow evening that I get Ardie posted on Obsedian Portal site.

dave_o

Explorer
I'm ready to go.But I can't figure out how to do this.

That's probably because I'm dumb and I need you to post up your email! That way I can send you an invite to the campaign on Obsidian Portal.

We have a secret sixth player who will be joining us as well.

Pretty stoked about this!

Remove ads