D&D 5E Alternative Initiative: try this

Hi all, I just wanted to share a different method we used last Friday to manage Initiative. It worked really well, better than expected, so I wanted to share it to see if someone else may enjoy it.

It brings back the “initiative rolled each round” without the rolling & math part, and without need to put everybody in order (the main reason why I don’t do this each round), adding sensible tension to the table. It is meant to make combats unpredictable and increase Players’ involvement and attention during the combat, at the same time deleting the need to track initiatives results.

This system comes from one of our player thinkering over Savage Worlds cards system. It isn’t slower, in fact it may be quicker, as there will no more be needed the guy who says “now playing: the wizard, next is the Fighter.”

The method use Tarots or similar cards with evocative images. It works with standard playing cards too, but we found a strange excitement in players seeing their card showing up.

How it works? Like this:

• Choose one card to represent each player character;
  • Add a bunch for monsters to use during the night; I used a Big Bad Monster, Mean Mininons, Witch and similar art to represent main monster kinds);
  • Mix the card and put the deck in a place where everybody can see it;
  • Draw first card: it’s that character turn;
  • Draw second card: it’s now that character turn;
  • And so on. Mix the cards each end of round and repeat.

The biggest effect is that everybody is on his toes and everybody is closely following the action as the next guy could be you. Tactical challenge is higher: as you never know who will go next, players (and monsters) won’t be able to synergize by making tactics that rely on knowing who’s next. For some goup, this may be an hindrance, to me and my players (some of which are the tactical kind) it’s instead a big feature, as it becomes more of a tactical challenge to choose what you do in a changing environment.

For instance, no more situations like “ok, it’s three of us before the Behir acts, I’ll cast Hold Monster so if it does not work we still have 2 turns before him” or “Jeff is down dying but no monster acting before the cleric so I’ll keep my potion of healing and attack”.

There are a couple drawbacks: first, due to effects that last “until the end of your next turn”. In a standard game, it always last one full round. In this scenario, it may be longer or shorter depending on draw order, which is random. But, it will always last one round for the creature, so this (which was our main doubt) proved at the table to be a non-issue. Yes, sometime it will be more advantageous and some times less so. To us, the advantage of the system so far proved much more enjoyable than the drawbacks.

For example: a “shield” spell may protect the caster from more attacks or less attacks than in a standard game, but in the long run who cares, it’s the same for monsters and it will even out with time.

The other main drawback is that Dexterity, Feats and Spells impacting on initiatives are not accounted for. Once again, for us (even the 20 Dex guy) it’s a sacrifice worth making. First, Monsters too won’t use these modifiers so it’s not that bad, it’s only bad relative to the very good initiative Characters. Bad initiative characters will benefit from this. What we ruled is that if a charcater gets the ALERT feat (only, as the +5 init. is big in that FEAT core) the character will get 2 cards and act on the first draw.

This has been just a single experimente who worked very well at the table, more issues (or benefits) may show up. I really feared mesing around with the combat flow but instead this proved to be fast, furious and much more fun, also for the DM aka me.

For now, it gave back to our table a fresh air of tension to the combats, try this and tell me how it work for you!

Seems like a fun idea. Wouldn't you need to create a custom deck for each encounter? If the PCs are fighting one big nasty critter then there will only be one "monster" card in the deck. In the next encounter, they may fight 12 orcs, so there would need to be 12 "monster" cards in the deck.

Li Shenron

Legend
The other main drawback is that Dexterity, Feats and Spells impacting on initiatives are not accounted for.

How about letting someone with 20 Dex (or an Initiative feat, or an appropriate spell) to have two cards in the deck? Once the first is drawn, ignore the second (she doesn't get two turns in the same round...).

Seems like a fun idea. Wouldn't you need to create a custom deck for each encounter? If the PCs are fighting one big nasty critter then there will only be one "monster" card in the deck. In the next encounter, they may fight 12 orcs, so there would need to be 12 "monster" cards in the deck.

Yes and no. Characters stay the same. You only need an handful of "monster kind" near you to quickly prepare the deck each battle. Once you have one or two big creatures, one or two "mobs", one "death" for undead and so on you should be able with 10 or so monster kind to cover the full experience. I plan to use the "big monster" for any kind of big creature, be it a dragon or a bear, and I use one card for similar group of monsters (like I would only roll once for, say, 5 zombies).

Any fantasy tarot deck has more than enough to choose, I use this one, but any should do, if you are lucky enough to have the old Ravenloft ones they would be great too.

How about letting someone with 20 Dex (or an Initiative feat, or an appropriate spell) to have two cards in the deck? Once the first is drawn, ignore the second (she doesn't get two turns in the same round...).

This is something we thought but we decided to give the 2 cards to the PCs choosing the "alert" feat, otherwise we should also use 2 cards for very quick monsters...but it could be done, yes. You could also decide to give the 2nd card to characters or monsters who total a defined +X bonus to initiative even if from different sources like Haste + Dex bonus, but it seems too much of a hassle to follow, better to keep cards' number low.

Coredump

Explorer
The biggest effect is that everybody is on his toes and everybody is closely following the action as the next guy could be you.
Which is a pretty big benefit.

There are a couple drawbacks: first, due to effects that last “until the end of your next turn”. In a standard game, it always last one full round. In this scenario, it may be longer or shorter depending on draw order, which is random. But, it will always last one round for the creature, so this (which was our main doubt) proved at the table to be a non-issue. Yes, sometime it will be more advantageous and some times less so. To us, the advantage of the system so far proved much more enjoyable than the drawbacks.

For example: a “shield” spell may protect the caster from more attacks or less attacks than in a standard game, but in the long run who cares, it’s the same for monsters and it will even out with time.
Possible Solution: As you pull each card, place it in a row. (as playing solitaire). When you are done, every care will be laying down face up in order.
When a creature uses a 1-round effect/spell, put down a marker at that location. The spell/effect is in play until the next time that location is occupied.

Ex. You have 5 players (A-E) and 3 bad guys (XYZ). You shuffle and start pulling/placing cards
Rd 1) B-D-Y-A (now A casts Chill Touch) -Z-X (now D casts Shield)-C-E
Rd 2) Y-A-E-X (now Chill Touch ends)-B-C (now Shield ends)-Z-D

What we ruled is that if a charcater gets the ALERT feat (only, as the +5 init. is big in that FEAT core) the character will get 2 cards and act on the first draw.
Clever solution. You could use that same concept to include more granularity. Ex:
Everyone gets one card
10+ Dex gets an extra card
Alert gets extra card

All the way to:
Everyone gets one card
+1 card for every Dex bonus (so 3 more cards for Dex 16 or 17)
+3 (?) cards for Alert

Makes it a bit more complicated, and may take a bit more to set up. But will allow for the same 'unknown' factor while still letting the faster folks go faster.
And since all the PCs will have the same number, the only 'difficulty' is removing the monster cards and putting new ones back in.

Coredump

Explorer
For the opposite approach.... google Popcorn Initiative. Very briefly.... one person goes, and then chooses who gets to go next. Then that player (or monster) goes and chooses who gets to go next.

You should check it out, it leads to some non-intuitive results.

Psikerlord#

Explorer

Yep I thought this too!

I actually really like this idea. I'm going to suggest it to my group. We do already use the "roll initiative each round" (we don't bother with declaring actions up front, just act on your go) and have found combat more unpredictable and fun. But I really like how the cards mean you don't know who's next... More uncertainty = more awesomeness in my book!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Instead of tarot cards you could use cards from a CCG (like MtG) that have pictures like the characters. Players might like finding a card that represents their character--sort of like picking out a mini for your character.

Remove ads