• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Monk Weapons

Sekhmet

First Post
The Shaolin occasionally used twin hook swords. You can use them as two, one handed weapons at close range, or connect them and swing out to 10 feet with no real change in the fighting style. Bam, Bam, Sweep.
Really cool to watch, too. I didn't see it coming at all.

jcbdragon

First Post
It would not be in any way overpowered to simply let the monk choose one weapon (or maybe one melee, one thrown) to treat as a special monk weapon. Even exotic weapons would be fine.

Just throw out the list and let them pick.

Agreed, to a point. Part of the advantage of a fighter is that he can use any weapon, while other classes can't. So while I don't favor letting a monk just pick up any weapon and learn to use it, I'd have no problem with a particular monastic order that "traded off" permissible weapons. So you might have a monk that was allowed to learn to use a spear, but was forbidden to learn tuifa.

If you're the DM, you can make whatever changes you feel are appropriate -- just give an "in campaign" reason for it.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Agreed, to a point. Part of the advantage of a fighter is that he can use any weapon, while other classes can't. So while I don't favor letting a monk just pick up any weapon and learn to use it, I'd have no problem with a particular monastic order that "traded off" permissible weapons. So you might have a monk that was allowed to learn to use a spear, but was forbidden to learn tuifa.

If you're the DM, you can make whatever changes you feel are appropriate -- just give an "in campaign" reason for it.

I would say have a limited set of 3-4 different weapons that can all be used with monk abilities, but let the player decide which ones are used in his style. That said, I would require at least two of them to be standard "light" weapons, things that are small and wielded with one hand, and no more than one large weapon like a spear or bastard sword...

Remove ads