Amazon WotC September 2007: Exemplars of Evil, Tiles 5, Fortress of the Yuan-ti

Razz

Banned
Banned
Some evil prestige classes for Villian's Handbook, too. They need to put something better and different than Blackguard.

And, please, I hope they don't do another CLASS! Unless it's one hell of a nice anti-paladin one.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dungeon Tiles are nice and useful.

Module might be interesting.

Villain book though? I too enjoyed the old DMR blue book and still break it out on occassion. On one hand, this means I already have a solid resource that's relatively game free. I haven't been overwhelmed with the 3e treatment of many of these old subjects as they just add a ton of padding to material that could use more clear language and utility. But I'm hopeful.

takasi

First Post
Klaus said:
And no sign of 4e! Yay!

I wouldn't say that. IMO "Villain's Handbook" sounds like a rule-light crossover product you could keep on the shelves even after 4E is released.

Villain book though? I too enjoyed the old DMR blue book and still break it out on occassion.

That book hasn't been on the shelves in a long time. If you find value from this book so many years (and editions) later, this suggests WotC is gearing up for 4E, IMO.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
takasi said:
I wouldn't say that. IMO "Villain's Handbook" sounds like a rule-light crossover product you could keep on the shelves even after 4E is released.

That book hasn't been on the shelves in a long time. If you find value from this book so many years (and editions) later, this suggests WotC is gearing up for 4E, IMO.
EVERYTHING WotC comes out with "suggests WotC is gearing up for 4E."

"They're doing all the variant rules stuff now instead of more core products. WotC is gearing up for 4E."

"They're doing lots of adventures now. WotC is gearing up for 4E."

"They're doing rules-lite stuff. WotC is gearing up for 4E."

This is like waiting for Godot, except that Godot apparently has a backpack full of D&D books.

Psion

Adventurer
Much interest in both the Yuan Ti module and the villain handbook.

Much fear they won't do the latter justice.
(Checks author quickly...)

Robert Schwalb. Okay, that raises my expectations a bit. :)

delericho

Legend
takasi said:
That book hasn't been on the shelves in a long time.

Both the "Complete Book of Villains" and the (IMO superior) "Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide" are available as (legal) pdfs from various places. They have virtually no rules content between them, and should be required reading for every DM. They're great books. IMO, of course.

For this new "Villains Handbook", I'll be interested to see what is in it, but my suspicion is that I won't be buying.

Pants

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Probably the same thing the 2e Villian's Handbook was. A DM book, with things on villian motivations (it covered villians of all 9 alignments), methods of operation and more.
That book was awesome.

Now why did I sell it? :(

Cthulhudrew

First Post
When I first saw the title "Villain's Handbook" I thought of a PHB designed explicitly for creating evil characters. Villain core-classes (Blackguard, etc.) villainous spells and such. Then I remembered that the PHB is designed for all alignments, so it wouldn't really make any sense for something so explicitly focused. :p

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It seems offhand to be a topic that has already been covered a lot so far- Book of Vile Darkness, Champions of Ruin, etc.

Remove ads