An E6 oriental/western game (replacement needed) - last call for bento

mfrench

First Post
I've been having trouble breaking into PbP games here, so I figured: what the heck, I'll just start my own. It will give me the chance to try a setting that I've been kicking around for a while, and maybe even try to run an E6 game, which I can't seem to get started in person.

I have worked out most of the fluff that I want want to see, but the specific classes for them are not set in stone. I know that wizard and cleric are right out, and I think that the Book of Nine Swords and Oriental Adventures should figure prominently. Strangely enough, most of the Eberron stuff seems to fit as well (even though I've never played with it!). The races from Eberron and OA are (mostly) welcome to be used, but the only PHB race to be included is Human. Races:
[sblock]Eastern (former) Empire
Human (oriental) -- priests are Shugenjas
Spirit Folk (from OA) -- blend in with the easterners

The 'Native Races':
Human (arabic) -- traders and nomads from the far western wastes
Shifter (from Eberron CS) -- usually live in the wastes, reviled as demon-spawn
Changeling (from Eberron CS) -- prevalent in the big cities, reviled as demon-spawn
Korobokuru (use stats for a dwarf, only small, no darkvision, and Favored Class = Barbarian) -- live in the wastes
Goliath (from Races of Stone) -- frequent the mountains that separate East from West
These peoples are native to the western lands; so rarely are they trained as martial adepts, that for one to even be seen with a katana is probably going to cause a fight. They are never members of Houses. The Empire treated them much like the Native Americans: tribes with various languages, ancestry and religious beliefs, and now after many years they have sort of blended their religious traditions to the point that Shamans will serve any of them.[/sblock]Stats will be from a 32-pt point buy, with costs as per the DMG.

The normal Alignment system just doesn't seem appropriate, so I want to use a variant like Honor and Taint, from Unearthed Arcana. I will formalize something later.

Just because one of the core setting-roles below shares a name with a class doesn't necessarily mean that I have that in mind. And lastly, some of the campaign description comes from other posters on the boards, garbled up so terribly in a word document that I lost the posters for each quote. I'd be glad to give anyone credit who claims that one of these ideas is theirs!

The premise of the campaign is as follows:
[sblock]With the death of the Last Emperor long ago, the world fell into ruin. Fertile lands became dry wastes, and the once mighty empire has been reduced to a series of independent cities. Traditional Sword and Sorcery is blended with swordplay and mysticism set against a background of blasted desert, personal honor, and rough justice. The setting is a desert wasteland with mighty citadels of cities; meddling Wu Jen; crafty, backwater shujengas; monasteries in the high mountain passes filled with sohei and monks; ninjas and rogues form mighty guilds in the dark underworlds of the cities; swords-for-hire fight bandits and barbarians in the dust bowls and ruins between these cities; and there's a huge rush for gold all the while, forcing alliances and hiring swords. The cities are run by the decendants of the old empire, but desert traders and natives from the wilds also fill out the setting.

The groups that define the setting’s politics all cling to the honor-bound ways of the forgotten past, but in very different ways. They are the only ones who can wield the Katana and Wakizashi (bastard sword and short sword) without being hunted down.

The Advocates are secret orders of gentlemen assassins that work within the Houses. They train in the secret arts of ninjitsu, valuing stealth and subtle political manuevering. Their identities and traditions are closely guarded secrets. They enforce the will of the Houses.

The Oathblades are bound by their word, and often swear to serve wealthy Houses as swordarms. They have strict ritualized dueling ceremonies, but will always work together to strike those that have broken their contracts, or those outside this brotherhood who deign to wield their sacred weapons. They sometimes can be found hired out to militant Houses, as leaders of mercenary/bandit groups, and some have made the leap and claimed the title of Shogun (warlord).

Artificer: These mages are driven by curiosity about the wonders of the past, especially the Old Ones’ binding of elementals, and the workings of Tetsujin (strange metal men found in ruins). Only recently have they been able to wake up these constructs, and most of their secrets still remain. They generally find politics to be beneath them.

Shaman: Native seers into a hidden world, they divide spirits into three realms: the natural, the dead, and the daemons. They seek to gain boons from the first, knowledge from the second, and drive out the third, all the while trying to help their native people. They are not usually found in the company of the Houses.

Wu Jen/Warlock: These mages gain power through deals with the powers of Chaos. They do their best to bend these daemons to their will . . . but often find out too late that they are the servants, not the masters. Many of them are too power-hungry, and not “honorable” enough to be employed (publicly) by the Houses. A House member would always keep a bargain with Chaos as the strictest secret.[/sblock]
1) I plan on running recruiting through Thanksgiving weekend and starting shortly after that. I am hoping to take around 6 players, plus alternates if necessary.
2) I am planning on the pacing to be about a post a day. I won't expect a post each day, but hopefully it will average out to that.
3) We will be using E6 rules. The campaign will begin at second level.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
This sounds interesting. Oriental games are interesting, westerns are interesting, the combination sounds like fun.

I'm still just thinking about it idly, but I'm leaning towards the idea of playing a Swordsage, probably with Desert Wind.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Shaman for me, please - it's a difficult class to play (curse you, d6 for HD!) E6 does sound like good fun. Hope you garner some interest. Keep meaning to start my own game here as well.

Autumn

First Post
Oh wow - very neat setting idea indeed.

Then again, you have hit a weak spot of mine - Western crossed with anything else is likely to form a genre I will adore. ;)

I'd be interested in playing a Warblade ronin-type, a samurai who served under the Last Emperor. Now an Oathblade or simple mercenary, still holding his old ideals close to his heart but convinced they've vanished from the world.

One 'but', though... having looked over the E6 rules, I'm really not sure if I can stomach them. The idea that human spell casters can never transcend the giddy heights of Fireball seems to me like a return to the bad old days of 2E, and then some extra stupidity piled on top for good measure.

So if you happen to choose not to use E6 then I'd be very interested indeed. Otherwise, never mind. :)

mfrench

First Post
Wow, more interest in this game than I thought!

Nac Mac Feegle said:
I'm leaning towards the idea of playing a Swordsage, probably with Desert Wind.
Cool. I had Swordsages penciled in as Advocate-types, so he might have some connection to a distant or broken House.

Lorthanoth said:
Shaman for me, please - it's a difficult class to play (curse you, d6 for HD!) E6 does sound like good fun.
Great - I'm assuming you mean the OA shaman?

Autumn said:
I'd be interested in playing a Warblade ronin-type, a samurai who served under the Last Emperor. Now an Oathblade or simple mercenary, still holding his old ideals close to his heart but convinced they've vanished from the world.
I'd intended the Last Emperor to be very distant. I could play it as your line is one of the few that remembers actual service to the emperor.

Lastly, I guess I will decide about E6 when/if more people chime in. Just let me know if you feel strongly about either way.

Last edited:

Autumn

First Post
mfrench said:
I'd intended the Last Emperor to be very distant. I could play it as your line is one of the few that remembers actual service to the emperor.

Sure thing, that makes sense. Not that he remembers the good old days, but that he's just grown up with stories of them being handed down in his family. Works just as well. :)

That also skirts the issue of whether you had envisaged Samurai as being a specific class in this setting (like the - lacking imo - class of the same name), therefore messing up my crunch plans for a Warblade.

Is there a specific position you had in mind for Warblades in the setting? If so, is it compatible with my plans for a mercenary type?

mfrench

First Post
Autumn said:
Is there a specific position you had in mind for Warblades in the setting? If so, is it compatible with my plans for a mercenary type?

The mercenary idea works well. However, I still expect him to have a code of honor. Some of it will be things that all the Warblades share (i.e., turning down a duel is a worse shame than death; anyone carrying a sacred blade other than those in the order must be slain; every time your blade is drawn, it must draw blood before being sheathed again). Other rules can be added that are more personal (I will not be insulted, I will kill members of a certain House which dishonored my family, or whatever).

mfrench

First Post
I've got a background idea for a swordsage if you're interested:
[sblock]One of the classic plots in Westerns and Kung Fu movies is the Family Revenge story. So, your mother could be one of the last surviving members of a House, and you have been raised with revenge in your heart to destroy the House that nearly wiped out your House in a political move.[/sblock]

Also, I'm considering giving everybody Improved Unarmed Strike at level 1, just for the flavor. If people are interested in that, I will give out something extra for the classes that receive it as a bonus feat (like the Shaman :)).

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Alright, with some more thought I think my preference is for a Diamond Mind swordsage wandering demon-hunter.

I personally have a fondness for the E6 system myself, but I'll probably stick around either way.

Remove ads