• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ... and we have a wizard!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Well, it was quite bothersome to me. I remember preparing Fireball or Cloudkill or whatever and, just when I was ready to cast it, some ally got into the area and suddenly I was all "Well, there goes my striking power. Ok, I... shoot it with my crossbow -.-".

Of course, YMMV and all that.

Back in the "old days" nothing beat a magic-user's player saying "I cast fireball" and then hearing the collective gasps from the rest of the players.

cpendlet

First Post
You know, I just can't bring myself to cast a spell on the party no matter how much I'd like to. Good Guy Syndrome, I guess :p

We do on occasion. A defender surrounded by a group of mobs makes an easy target.
In one case the tank got critted and the wizard missed everything else (5 mobs around that tank) with a daily(obviously 4th edition). The tank was down to 3 hit points left or something like that. The whole table burst out laughing :)

occam

Adventurer
Hmm. Not a whole lot in this one that we hadn't already seen. Apparently you now choose your specialty at level 2.

I like the fact that it costs money to scribe spells. It's a nice way to preserve the tradition of wizards copying captured spells, while keeping it from getting out of hand.

I also approve of the changes to Sculpt Spells. Instead of simply excluding your allies from the spell's AoE, you grant them a combination of Evasion and an automatic success on the save. So depending on the spell, they may not emerge entirely unscathed.

None of these things have changed since last August in the playtest (except that copying spells now takes twice as long); the cost of spell copying goes back further than that.

A

amerigoV

It seems that a mage would be studying for years before becoming Level 1? So how much time could he have had available to be a Bounty Hunter as well?

or am I putting too much thought into this? :)

Well, a Sleep spell WOULD be useful to a bounty hunter. Maybe their mentor mage ran a bounty hunting service for the local constable. If nothing else, it might make for an interesting backstory for the Mentor too!

Now I want to run Dawg, bounty hunter mage

dog-bounty-hunter-returns-tonight.jpg

MadmanMike83

Explorer
One of my favorite ways of getting into character as a Wizard was to copy down my spellbook. Having that sheaf of known spells at hand made me smile. As handy as the 4th Edition character builder is/was I've always found that the best way to get to "know" your character is to write things out.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Where is the time in years that can allow a worthwhile background to develop AND the specialized training to become Level 1 in a class? It seems that a mage would be studying for years before becoming Level 1? So how much time could he have had available to be a Bounty Hunter as well?

or am I putting too much thought into this? :)

I think this is a great question, and for me it's a virtue of the new system. The majority of a character's skills are reflected in the background and not in the class -- there's now an inevitable iteration of the (level-based) proficiency bonus and how capable you are at your skills. That's a feature, not a bug.

It *does* mean that when devising your backstory (including age, etc), you need to take this into account -- a starting wizard might be a few years older, not having begun to study magic after he had served as a cabin boy (and mechanically taken a sailor background) -- or whatever.

for me, the richness in the combinations and customizability is worth having to "solve" the chronology of what came before.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
At what age did your training, or previous background job, start? In my games, characters start their working lives as early as 10 (likely earlier for a rogue). So whether farming with the family, working at your father's trade, learning what nobility is all about, or leaving home willingly or unwillingly to financially help the family, you start on-the-job training early in life.

Remove ads