Anointed Hunter PrC

doghead

thotd
At what level do most PrC become accessable? I would have thought that an 8th level entry point was fairly high. I haven't had much to do with PrC, but I tend to think lower entry points would be more suitable for a setting like LEW. It will take people years to reach 8th level.

thotd

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
My understanding is that the majority of prestige classes have their prerequisites set up such that you can have them all met at 6th, thus being eligible to take the PrC at 7th.

I disagree with the idea that all prestige classes should be accessible at 6th. By making a PrC harder to get to, you can make it slightly more powerful.

I agree that the spellcasting capabilities of the class are a little too quick to allow for earlier entry; giving them a full caster level is more powerful than either paladin or ranger, though they have to start over again in regards to spell level, so that balances out somewhat. If you wanted to bring the prereq's down, I would suggest perhaps mimicking the average BAB in respect to caster level progression.

I'm assuming that the Dedicated Hunter feat allows you to freely multiclass paladin and ranger? If not, I would like to see that added to this PrC.

I see little reason to limit Holy Enemy to +1, other than the fact that it appears much more often. It is limited enough in scope (you are theoretically cutting the creatures it counts against in half, since it's doubtful an LG character would be fighting good-aligned creatures, leaving neutral and evil) that I don't see a problem with a +2 bonus at increased frequency.

I think that adding some sort of ability that allows the Annointed Hunter to treat his weapons as though they were Good-aligned weapons would be rather useful and definitely appropriate, given the concept of the class.

Bront

The man with the probe
Dualist and Shadowdancer are Level 8 entries in the SRD (You can do Dualist at 7 with a Swashbuckler, but not with Core), and there are others that are even higher. 6th level being your first in a PrC seems to be a common theme, but it's not wholely true, and there are several that make you wait till 8th, 11th, or even higher (Archmage, Thaumaturgist). 8th may seem out of reach in LEW, but I've had 3 characters make 3rd level in less than a year, and we have several 5th and 8th level characters here already.

Dedicated Hunter allows the Ranger/Paladin multi-class freely. Hense, it's requirement (which also means you need some Ranger in this PrC).

I like the Good Alligned idea, perhaps roll that into Holy Enemy, aligning the weapon as good vs any Holy Enemy? It gives the ability a bit more flavor (instead of, admittedly, a cheep favored enemy knock off).

The problem with +2 with Holy Enemy is this: that's +18 over 10 levels, max of +10 vs one enemy, plus it stacks with smite damage (another 10 at 20th level), and regular Favored Enemy (max of +6 given this combo) for +26 damage on one hit, and +16 damage on each additional strike. Holy Enemy is constant, and the condensed levels make it more powerful (You'll max it out before Ranger). Also, combined with spellcasting, the bonus feats, and the other abilities, it throws the rest of the class out of wack.

I will say that I never proposed it with +2, but I did think about it initialy. It just seemed a bit over the top for me. I like the good aligned for damage resistance vs Holy Enemies though.

And yes, I will fully admit, Jaan inspired me to create this, but it seemed like an interesting concept, and realy, there are no good paladin PrCs out there (Perhaps the Outrider, if it were to allow paladins to Multi-class from it)

Velmont

First Post
A higher entry level, and more restrictive requirement allow to have a more powerfull PrC, so I don't see a problem to have it at higher level. And also, a Prestige class is a class of Prestige, so we don't want every character and his mount to have access to PrC.

I find the Holy Enemy +1 quite fine, even if more restricted in the choice of enemy, it is more likely to be those choice the character would have made anyway.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Bront said:
I like the Good Alligned idea, perhaps roll that into Holy Enemy, aligning the weapon as good vs any Holy Enemy? It gives the ability a bit more flavor (instead of, admittedly, a cheep favored enemy knock off).

I like that idea immensely, and if you did it that way I would be in favor of keeping it at +1, though your other comments do persuade me to say that it should be +1 anyway. However, I don't see a problem with treating their weapons as Good-aligned in conjunction with the benefits of Holy Enemy. Much more flavorful, as you mentioned. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
GnomeWorks said:
I like that idea immensely, and if you did it that way I would be in favor of keeping it at +1, though your other comments do persuade me to say that it should be +1 anyway. However, I don't see a problem with treating their weapons as Good-aligned in conjunction with the benefits of Holy Enemy. Much more flavorful, as you mentioned. :)
Done :)

Holy Enemy now treats all weapon attacks as good alligned.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Bront said:
Yes, but you need to be 5th level to get Dedicated Hunter, which means likely getting it at 6th level, so you can't enter before 7th anyway.
Bront said:
Also of note, the Dervish is an 8th level minemum I believe, higher for non-fighters or non-humans.
I have no clue what your point is.

Bront

The man with the probe
Jdvn1 said:
I have no clue what your point is.
The point is that 7th level would be the earliest entry anyway, and I think 8th works better for the class, and it's not without precident that other PrCs for LEW have later entrance.

Erekose13

Explorer
I like the changes that have been made. I dont care too much about lowering the level of entry. It sounds good pegged where it is. Only thing I can see missing is assigning the type of ability.

Special Mount (Sp)
Lay Hand (Su)
Holy Enemy (Su - smite or Ex - favored enemy)
Bonus Feat (nothing - fighter or Ex - combat style)
Mounted Tracking (Ex)

Remove ads