Any D20 games in which magic has bad side effects?

Tsyr

Explorer
I havn't looked at Umbragia, perhaps I should... the system, though, sounds very similar to the elemental magic in Sov Stone... what exactly are the side effects? In Sov Stone, its just damage... subdual for normal magic, real for void, neither of which can be treated magicly...

Bob Aberton

First Post
I homebrewed a system where each time a spell was cast, a Spellcraft check had to be made to cast it. If the check was failed...interesting things could happen (As per "Scroll Mishaps", DMG, page something or other...)

Plus, caster have to spend XP to get spells.

1 XP for 1 1st level spell, 2 XP for 1 2nd level spell, and so on.

KDLadage

Explorer
Tsyr said:
I havn't looked at Umbragia, perhaps I should... the system, though, sounds very similar to the elemental magic in Sov Stone... what exactly are the side effects? In Sov Stone, its just damage... subdual for normal magic, real for void, neither of which can be treated magicly...

Well... there are several types of side-effects in the UMBRAGIA system. These include (but are not limited to):

Arcane Shower: This is a minor effect where the magical energies around the subject's body have exploded into a light and sound show. The subject's skin and clothing crawl with strange energies, sparks, or other audio-visual effects. This renders stealth impossible and frightens small
animals (and perhaps people) for the duration of the effect.

Arcane Burnout: This is a magical shift within the caster, rendering the subject incapable of channeling manna. For the duration of the effect, the subject cannot cast spells and her/his
Manna Recovery Rate is reduced to 0.

...and grows until you reach effects like:

Timespike: The caster has managed to create a bubble of unstable time that ages the character a number of years equal to the intensity of the effect. All penalties for the increased age apply, however the bonuses to mental abilities do not.

Planar Eruption: The Game Master is free to come up with anything and everything for this effect. A backfire of this magnitude should be a campaign ending (or beginning!) event. We recommend the Role Aids™ product Apocalypse as a source of good ideas on how to handle this result.

And so on... a total of 14 seperate results are possible, with many possible changes in efefct for each result. You will find all of this in Volume III of the Umbragia books.

Psion

Adventurer
Tsyr said:

Might as well check it out yourself; it's a free download:

http://www.d20reviews.com/jagged/umbragia/v03-sorcery.html

Minor effects include nausea and headache, but things like unleashing a magical blast centered on you and persistent annoying curses can happen.

Andor

First Post
I'm surprised Nightfall didn't mention it but in the Scarred Lands setting casting arcane magic generates a lot of heat.

This can cause damage if you're wearing metal, and also lets Sorceresses prance around in skimpy outfits. ;-)

-Andor

Last edited:

Remove ads