• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody know Japanese?

SteelDraco

First Post
I'm just looking for a quick translation of the phrase 'Snow Willow', for a PC in one of my games. Anybody happen to have that at the front of their head?

fujaiwei

First Post
Yuki no Yanagi.

yuki = snow, no = adjectival modifier, yanagi = willow, per my electric dictionary.

A weeping willow is shidare yanagi, fyi.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The word for snow is "yuki", and the word for willow is "yanagi".

Hence, your PC's name is Yuki Yanagi. Sounds pretty cool to me!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
fujaiwei said:
Yuki no Yanagi.

no = adjectival modifier

"no" is more of a possessive modifier than an adjectival one. Having "no" there is basically adding an apostraphe-s. "Yuki no Yanagi" is basically "Snow's willow" or "Willow of the snow".

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that, despite what I say above, "yuki no yanagi" is (AFAIK) grammatically correct in terms of Japanese sentence structure. It's just not the literal interpretation of what SteelDraco wanted.

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Of course, her name should REALLY be "Yanagi Yuki".

That sounds like a Japanese name. Certainly Yuki is a very common girl's name, and "Yanagi" doesn't sound crazy for a family name.

Yanagi Yuki

Yanagi-san

Yuki-chan

Yu-kun

:D

I love Japanese names.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
For further further reference, this is probably an Off Topic thread. I've got to say, though, I find it amazing that I hang out in a place where gamers from all over the frikkin' world are only a couple of clicks away.

SteelDraco

First Post
Piratecat said:
For further further reference, this is probably an Off Topic thread. I've got to say, though, I find it amazing that I hang out in a place where gamers from all over the frikkin' world are only a couple of clicks away.
Shouldn't you be busy writing your losing story? ;)

Last edited:

Judas

First Post
I've tried looking for a good translator, but I always find something that displays nothing but question marks when I do a translate. I think it's trying to show the actual japanese symbols instead of the english spoken word.

I have a character that is has Kara-Tur heritage and has a frostband that he named in the language of his ancestors. He has labelled the sword "Cold Death". Can anyone translate this for me?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads