• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone picked up True Sorcery?

rjs

First Post
Yep, it's at the printers and with luck, we might have a few copies at Origins, though I don't know for certain.

JohnSnow

Hero
Hey Rob, I almost hesitate to ask, but can I assume that Light Lore is supposed to be a Dabbler Talent and not a Student of Wizardry Talent?

I only ask cuz it's on both lists...on the edited pdf. :\

But the spell description labels it as a Dabbler Talent (Base DC 5). So I was assuming the Student of Wizardry thing is a typo.

zaffudo

First Post
Few questions

Got the updated pdf, which is much clearer (particularly for IH) but there are still a few things that are sort of wonky to me.

1) Create undead says it has a duration of one minute in the spell block, but in the description it says that animated creatures remain so until destroyed.

Later in the description it does mention that the spell can be used to command undead for the duration, so I assumed that is what the duration is used for (though it should be more clear), but then under the sample spells, ‘Call Wraith’ has its duration extended to an hour.

If the Wraith is permanent, why extend the duration?

2) There is no bookmark for Create Matter.

3) Does the bonus granted by adding components to a spell help to reduce casting time?

4) Can you use the same item as a focus for multiple spells?

JohnSnow

Hero
zaffudo said:
1) Create undead says it has a duration of one minute in the spell block, but in the description it says that animated creatures remain so until destroyed.

Later in the description it does mention that the spell can be used to command undead for the duration, so I assumed that is what the duration is used for (though it should be more clear), but then under the sample spells, ‘Call Wraith’ has its duration extended to an hour.

If the Wraith is permanent, why extend the duration?

It appears that the comment about undead remaining until destroyed is in error. The BCCS book treated "create undead" as a form of "animate object" (lacking negative energy and all). I'd be inclined to switch the duration of the create undead spells to permanent, and have the duration only apply to commanding/controlling undead.

Since you make IH references, I'll say that since it didn't seem game-breaking in default Iron Heroes to let the Arcanist create "permanent" undead, I don't see why that should change with True Sorcery.

I'd make the same argument about "animate objects."

2) There is no bookmark for Create Matter.

I noticed that too. Call it a glitch.

3) Does the bonus granted by adding components to a spell help to reduce casting time?

I think this needs clarification still. Obviously, spell energy can't count, otherwise, as someone pointed out on the IH boards, Table 2-3 wouldn't go above 20.

In BCCS, you compared the DC to "Ranks in Magic Use" + "Magnitude Bonus." Bonuses provided by props and spell energy didn't count. Talent Focus did. In my game, I'm half-inclined to scrap Table 2-3 in favor of the mana-accumulation system from Thieves' World (Appendix III, p. 111).

The combination of the systems from Thieves' World and Iron Heroes is DAMN close (IMO) to what Mac and I were developing on the IH boards, although the talent system is pretty different.

Again, probably a discussion that should be continued over there.

4) Can you use the same item as a focus for multiple spells?

Yes. It just has to be keyed. And you risk losing the focus for multiple spells if you lose your focus. For example, a character who uses his staff as the focus for all his spells is functionally similar to an AE-style magister.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
JohnSnow said:
Yes. It just has to be keyed. And you risk losing the focus for multiple spells if you lose your focus. For example, a character who uses his staff as the focus for all his spells is functionally similar to an AE-style magister.

Yes, exactly what i was thinking. I'm currently playing a verrik magister in an AE campaign, and i'm thinking about asking the DM if i can import another character so i can playtest these rules. I don't want to recreate my 6th level magister though, i sort of want a wacky Shaman character, rolling bones, talking to invisible spirits and chatting with animals. I looked over GR's Shaman's Handbook, and while it's good, it's best for providing some thematic material for a True Sorcery character.

Come to think of it, can anyone suggest some good builds for a 6th level shaman? I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the system. I was thinking about Prophecy, Spirit Lore, Beast Lore, and bundling Fire/Earth/Air/Water into Elemental Lore with +5/+0/+0/-5 spellcheck modifiers.

And i want to rely heavilly on a spellfocus item, not a staff, but maybe a bone necklace or something like that. I also want to keep a separate sheet of spell components. The DM will not have time at all to review this book, although he'll surely let me try it. If nothing else the shaman will come across as a very mysterious, unpredictable, weird character. Who mumbles a lot.

Last edited:

monboesen

Explorer
While we are on that subject. Can anyone see a reason NOT to have a focus for every spell/talent you know?

There seems to be no drawback at all. You either have it and gain a +10 bonus or don't have it and cast spells as normal, or?

Nebulous

Legend
monboesen said:
While we are on that subject. Can anyone see a reason NOT to have a focus for every spell/talent you know?

There seems to be no drawback at all. You either have it and gain a +10 bonus or don't have it and cast spells as normal, or?

I raised the same question earlier. There's no reason not to do it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It depends on cost, as set by the GM. I do find it silly if there's no cost associated, and to be honest it definitely syncs in with my "power components" house rules that I and Old One have been using for BCCS.

zaffudo

First Post
Feather Boa?

Actually, it does say that keying a focus cost 100gp per Magnitude of the spell, Minimum 100gp.That’s not a huge amount, but at least it something.

I can also see clever warriors under this system catching on pretty quickly that the wizards staff/amulet/feather boa is being used to cast every spell and sundering that thing pretty quickly.

Also, since I don’t think the bonus from adding a focus reduces casting time, there’s a slight advantage to wanting to cast without the focus in many situations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads