• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone picked up True Sorcery?

Alkiera

First Post
Ogl?

I believe it's all OGL... lemme check.
The following text is Open Gaming
Content: Chapters 1–6, Appendix I, II,
III, the class advancement table and class
features of IV, V, and the spell reference
tables.

Though there are only 4 chapters. 8) Basically, that's the entire book, with the exception of the cover, intro, contents/index, and the references to Iron Heroes and True20 in Appendices IV and V... but the crunchy bits of those are OGL too, just not the flavor stuff they borrowed from Monte Cook.

I think the idea is 'feel free to use whatever you want from this book, but you can't just xerox the book and pass it out at a con'.

iwatt

First Post
Alkiera said:
I believe it's all OGL... lemme check.

Though there are only 4 chapters. 8) Basically, that's the entire book, with the exception of the cover, intro, contents/index, and the references to Iron Heroes and True20 in Appendices IV and V... but the crunchy bits of those are OGL too, just not the flavor stuff they borrowed from Monte Cook.

I think the idea is 'feel free to use whatever you want from this book, but you can't just xerox the book and pass it out at a con'.

So the spreadsheet mentioned by Henry would be a fair use of the info?

iwatt

First Post
hong said:
Well, to be precise it replaced save-or-die with damage dice, for _one_ spell, ie disintegrate. Everything else is still save-or-die: finger of death, slay living, destruction, etc.

Doh!! :eek:

My bad. I assumed (and we all know what happens then) that since they'd put the dice damage in harm and desintegrate, it had become a common fix in 3.5. That's what happens when you never get to play/run games past 12/13 level. Also, save or die doesn't get much use in my games (lot's of evokers, conjurers and illusionists) and as a DM I'm not very fond of them either..

Alkiera

First Post
iwatt said:
So the spreadsheet mentioned by Henry would be a fair use of the info?

As best I can determine, sure. As would taking the system, making your own modifications, and reposting the whole thing to your website, or book, or what have you; assuming I understand the OGL properly.

jharn

First Post
I wanted to thank you guys for your input and contributions to this thread.

I have recently discovered True20 and, comming from the D&D3E world the magic system of True20/True Sorcery was very confusing to get my brain around. A great deal of he information presented in this thread helped me to better understand the True magic system and how it works.

I liked clerics and the turning ability and sorcerors in D&D3E but found the spells system to be powerful but in someways limiting, I though that the AE Magister was a great improvement but now I think that the True system will be a system that I might like. It is not perfect but certainly more in line with they way I think magic should be.

So your contributions have reall helped me to understand the True magic system much better than I did yesterday.

Thanks.

glass

(he, him)
jaerdaph said:
Calling True20 T20 confuses the hell out of Traveller fans too I would imagine... :D
That was my first thought on encountering this thread.
bento said:
I don't expect too many Traveller players to be trolling this board for posts about True 20 to be confused by me calling it T20.

Just to be perfectly clear, the next time I refer to True20, I'll call it GURPS, ok? ;)
LOL! :lol:

glass.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
rwb said:
What did they do with this?
I really don't mean to be flippant, but they wrote an entire chapter about it. A quick summary follows.
One feat is required for all magic item creation. From scrolls to rings to weapons, one feat allows a caster to make items that hold magic.
Making the item requires the expenditure of gold, xp and spells, similar to the DMG method, though a spellcraft check is required for the spell; if you permanently expend an amount of spell energy then you don't need to make the spellcraft check.
Magic items were categorized by approximate power level (Least, Lesser, Minor, Moderate and Major).
Least items are the equivalent of scrolls, though they can have any shape; essentially one-time use, caster only items that are relatively cheap to make and useful without requiring a major investment of time, magic or resources. Use requirements are similar to those of a D&D scroll.
Lesser items are the equivalent of potions, one-use magic usable by anyone; again, they can take on a myriad of shapes and designs though potions and oils are the most common.
Minor itmes are similar to Least items except that they have multiple charges (20). They usually take the form of wands, rods or staves though they could look like belt buckles if you make them so.
Moderate items are similar to D&D rods and staves in that they still have charges (50) but are useable by anyone that knows how to activate them. Any save DCs are based upon the wielder.
Major items are similar to D&D wonderous items, in that anyone can use them and that they usually have permanent effects. Any save DCs are based upon the wielder. These items are also the most expensive to make, potentially resulting in very rare access.

I hope that helped.

Fenris

Adventurer
The GR site says that this item is "at print" but then says that it's available through their store "available now" but on the page with the book it still says it's pre-order. Can anyone provide some clarification on the status of the print version?

Pramas

Explorer
Fenris said:
The GR site says that this item is "at print" but then says that it's available through their store "available now" but on the page with the book it still says it's pre-order. Can anyone provide some clarification on the status of the print version?

Sure. The book is printed and has shipped to distributors. It should be in some stores this weekend and in wide release next week. You an also order it from our online store.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads