• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Apple users: Would you buy Hero Lab if it ran on Mac OS?

Ron

Explorer
I can't say I would buy Hero Lab's OS X version. However, that is already better than the fact I wouldn't even consider the Windows version, despite the fact I would like some of the services it offers.

Regarding your questions, I don't think the lack of new features or old OS X's versions support to be a problem. However, I expect my Mac applications to have a very distinct menu structure. If your software doesn't follow Mac standards in this regard, I don't think I would be very tempted to spend money in it.

azhrei_fje

First Post
I've played with HL3.4 in a VMware session and I'm not too impressed. The UI has an extremely clunky feel to it, like something from the days of Windows 3.1. :(

HL doesn't auto-create any magical weapons (that I could tell) so if I want to give an NPC a +1 longsword I have to choose longsword, then make it magical, then "buy it" so it's added to the NPCs gear. I'd much rather see the weapon type on the left and magical enhancements on the right -- it would significantly speed up that process. Armor and other gear are similar.

On top of all that, the demo won't let me create a high-level druid (which is the next NPC that my players will face) so I can't determine how HL handles high-level char creation and as my group is 10th level this is an important consideration for me.

I do like the option of customization that I've read about in other forums, but that's not enough to overcome these other issues, IMO. However, if the price is in the $30 range, then I may go ahead and pick up an OSX version to play with it more. As MapTool's campaign frameworks mature, I'm finding less and less need for char builders...

Kurenen

First Post
Hi everyone,

If you are a Mac user, and you don't own Hero Lab yet, would you purchase the product if a native Mac version were available?

I already own a HL license and would definitely be interested in a native Mac version. Naturally, i would like it to be compatible with the Win portfolios, and some form of discount for owners of priori licences would be greatly appreciared.

Remove ads