Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen - IC

renau1g

First Post
Seeing Rosa in dire straits, Fenwick fires three bolts of silver energy towards the multi-armed creatures. They unerringly strike the beast, avoiding any potential for injury to the gnome. Fenwick then decides to get as far from the enemy as possible.

[sblock=OOC]
Cast Magic Missile - Magic Missile Damage (3d4+3=9)
Move 20' away from the Girallon

HP: 26/26
AC: 14
F/R/W: 3/4/5
Spells Remaining:
6/6/3
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - If it's not too much trouble, since the Girallon is before me in init, I'd like to see the results of its turn before I post, since I may need to do healing in response to its actions.)

Arabesu

Fennwick 22 (gone already, casts magic missile)
Kuma 19 (delaying)
Trent 17 (upnext!)
Rosa 16 (grappled, not yet acted)
Girralon 6 (grappling, not yet acted)
Hightower 5

Arabesu

[sblock=Vertexx69]
I disagree with pretty much all you said.

- the monkey is grappling Rosa (which takes arms), which means that 3 of its arms are used in that grapple, since it doesn't have improved grab and didn't take -20 on the crapple check (to grapple only with the appendage used to make the attack).

It doesn't take 3 arms for the girralon to grapple rosa. It takes one hand free to grapple someone and that attack is no longer available to attack do to the lack of improved grab. Yes he has consequences of no improved grab, i.e. he doesn't threaten presently and doesn't have his dex to AC.

And unless the girralon lets go of Rosa or the tree hes holding, I don't see how he can react to try and trip me.

You don't need hands free to counter trip. Otherwise a typical PC character, a sword and board fighter for example, wouldn't be able to countertrip. Grappling has no consequence on his ability to countertrip.

I wouldn't have even tried to trip it if I knew you were giving it that stabalization bonus.

Your saying you will only take an action if you can metagame your way to auto success? Interesting... so pretty much any surprise I spring on you would cause you to complain? Meh. that wouldn't be fun for me to run and I'm pretty sure it would be boring for the rest of you. I set up this optional encounter to provide some interesting encounter elements and you obviously didn't appreciate it. Oh well. I tried.

[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
[sblock=@ Arabesu]Please don't take my rules lawyering personally. I've recently had a string of DMs that would ignore the basic rules of the game, especially with grapple, to kill my characters out pf spite whenever I did anything clever, and it made me a bit punchy.

Thats just me trying to use logic again with D&D where it obviously has no place, so just ignore my rantings. I was trying to use real world models for bits that aren't clearly explained in 3.5, (such as, anyone thats ever seen people grapple knows that it takes your whole body, and not just 1 limb). There are specific feats that allow the type of grapple you are describing ie: multigrab and greater multigrab that specifically let a creature with additional limbs maintain a grapple with just the limb that made the attack. These feats lead me to think that without them it would take all of a critters attention.

I can only make my characters choices based on the information given in the books, so its shame on me for trying to think in a ROLL playing game, and you have my apologies. I will stop trying to do anything clever and be a good little damage dealer without a brain from now on.

As far as the metagaming goes, anyone who does have options in an RPG and doesn't take into account their chance of success isnt using tactics, their playing shoots and ladders. I had been thinking about just attacking it, but tried to help the rest of the party hit it too by tripping it, which is all I meant by my comment in the previous post.[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
AC18
27/42hp

Feeling a bit better, Trent spies the new ally over his body, simply saying, "Thanks..." for the healing it provided. Spying the fact that Rosa was now in peril, Trent stands quickly, moving towards the enemy. (Stand, then move towards Garillon) He tries to move into a spot to get a good shot at it next round.

(Move to place opportune to flank and shank next round)

Arabesu

Trent is almost, but not quite able to get fully around the Girralon. Since he doesn't know whether or not the creature has improved grab he takes a bit of a wide arc to get around without getting clawed. Confident that with but a slight adjustment he will be able to swing around to flank with hightower, he stands and grits his teeth ready to take the inevitable.

The girallon suddenly feels very threatened.

Unable to flee with his meal without getting stabbed and raked the furious monster goes on the offensive. It takes a slight adjustment to place Hightower within reach (and coincidentally Trent in proper flanking position), drops Rosa in its space, and lashes out with flury of tooth and claw dividing its attacks against both of those threatening it.

The monster strikes both of them quite visciously with its claws but fails to bite through Hightower's thick armor. Trent suddenly feels woozy and nearly "rend"-ered unconscious while Hightower is severely as well.

On a good note, now that you are up close to it and can look over the damage you have already dealt it, the beast also apears to be barely conscious as well. Both Hightower and Trent are flanking the beast. Rosa is conscious but prone in its square and because it is totally ignoring her for the moment it loses its dexterity bonus to AC versus her attacks.

Initial attacks: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1671775/

Damage versus Trent with rend: 25 hp of damage (if it weren't for his aura, it would have been 31 hp!) knocking him close to unconsciousness.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1671797/

Damage versus Hightower with rend: 30 hp of damage (would have been 36)!
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1671805/

OOC: My apologies for the absence. I can't seem to get on Enworld reliably when I have time to actually post something.

Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Rosa gives up on blinding the creature and attempts to surreptitiously cast whelm.

OOC: +1 DC if it's denied dex against her! :D
Feel free to count that as her use of the sleight of hand trick for this encounter.

Remove ads