Are you old school?

Altalazar

First Post
Ah, that brings me back. I just pulled out my battered and worn copy of B1 that has been in my possession for, oh, it must be over 21 years now. It was one of the first things I ran as a young buck - I remember the fountain/pools well. I had fun with that. Very fun, very cheesy.

I'd be quite curious to see the revamped 3E version. Then again, I'd love to see revamped 3E versions of a lot of the old stuff.

When I get the chance, I'll have to pick up Hackmaster.

I'm really a bastardized mix of old and new schools. I started playing 1e with my grandmother and neighbors back in about '95, and got to experience b2 the keep on the borderlands. But at the same time, I bought a 2e PHB just so I could have one of my own and not share with my grandmother. So I grew up knowing both the old and new schools. Straddling generations almost was really a fun experience actually. Old school is definately a ton of fun. I picked up the Hackmaster PHB even though I have absolutely no need of it just because it seemed so cool...and it brought back memories. I mean, how can anyone forget the crazy hermit in the tree in B2, and what about that loveable little town of Nulb in the original Temple of Elemental Evil.

William Ronald

Explorer
Hi, Trev.

I am a bit of an old school/new school guy myself. I like the 3e mechanics and character classes. However, a lot of the old adventures were fun. I ran a version of Keep on the Borderlands a few months ago. Also, I think that the A series, and D-G-Q can be tapped time and time again for ideas. (A good point for the G series is that there are sources of food for the monsters. I have seen too many adventures where I have to wonder what do these things eat when there are no adventurers around?)

William Ronald

Explorer
Trev--

They are definitely worth it. A few years back I went to the Crazy Egor's booth at Gen Con. (For those who don't know, they are a hobby shop.) To my delight, I found Against the Giants = the compilation of G-D-Q. I think I paid over $30 for it. (Best yet, I got my copy autographed by E. Gary Gygax himself. As one of my co-DMs gave me some cash for the purchase, it is dedicated to both of us. Its nice to have a best friend who is working with you on your campaign.)

There are tons of good ideas in the series for adventures. You can take out parts of it, combine it with other things, and it still holds up. There are more than enough encounters that you can take out ane reuse.

SPOILER *** There is even a world where the sun does not shine and vampires rule the land. I think some of the ideas for the Ravenloft setting might have come out of this. ***

Also, I think there is a conversion for it (or at least parts) here at ENWorld.

Ruined

Explorer
Ah, Crazy Egor's. Helped me out at Origins last year. Had a nice copy of T1-T4: The Temple of Elemental Evil. I absolutely love that module, even if its an old-school crawl. The cover was a little torn, so I got it for a decent price. My original had fallen apart from use, and subsequently disappeared (my bet is my players took it to save themselves).

William Ronald

Explorer
You really can find good bargains if you look hard enough.

Ironically, members of my current group had to replace some of our 1st edition stuff. An old player (character was a cavalier) turned out to be a thief and several useful stuff disappeared in the late 1980s. Needless to say, we have never seen him again.

(The character is currently a permanent "guest/plaything" of an archdevil and if he ever tries to escape, several of his worst enemies will be notified.)

Last edited:

I am a new old schooler. There is a lot of nostalgia involved when i think of the characters that are still stuck in the elemental nodes and the fun i had hacking my way throuhg the keep on the borderlands. I own amost all of the old modules. That being said, most of this stuff is just a little...hmmmm..cheeesy. And some of these modules are crap. Please refer to dungeonland, Isle of the Apes, drums of fire mountain, Earthshaker, Castle Greyhawk etc. That being said, one of the best modules ive ever seen, but rarely mentioned, is Ravager of TIme.

Remove ads