D&D 5E Assualt on Dire Wood [OOC]

Hillsy7

First Post
Cassaline “Cobra Cash” Nagini

Name/Character Sheet: Cassaline “Cobra Cash” Nagini
Race: Human
Class: Ranger (5)

[sblock= Appearance:]At a glance, few people see beyond the ten coloured leather duster or the wide brimmed hat pulled low. Even then their abiding memory would be of long unkempt hair, angular features, and hard eyes blue as a mountain lake. But that suited Cash. The road was ingrained in her bones, stained into her simple tunic, breeches and boots, replacing any vestige of the arranged marriage her parents had chosen for her. Crossbows rested in holsters at her hips, hidden by her coat as much as her too tall, too thin frame. She was no beauty, but out here in the wild that mattered a hell of a lot less than how deadly you were.
[/sblock]

[sblock= Background:]
Background: Folk Hero
Personality Trait: If someone is in trouble, I’m always ready to lend a hand.
Ideal: Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Flaw: The people who knew me when I was young know my shameful secret, so I can never go home again.
[/sblock]

[sblock= Backstory:]

Cash could never identify the precise moment she stopped running.

She started at 16, the day after her parents stuffed her in a dress and dragged her to meet some minor lordling she was to be sold off to under the guise of marriage. He was short, ten years her senior and had been widowed in suspicious circumstances. It was a prison, one without bars but no less terrible than the tyranny she lived in at home. So she ran, the rising sun at her back, one week’s food and a bedroll in her saddlebags, and the too-small stableboy’s clothes chafing. It was the greatest she’d felt in her life.

Though the next ten years were filled with hunger more often than a hot bath, Cassaline Nagini never once thought of turning back. The first few months taught her the most: she’d never be able to swing a sword; there were advantages in being boyslim and long-limbed on the road; freshwater could be found almost anywhere there were trees; and a horse was as much a friend as it was a pet. She moved constantly, working for food and a bed in a hayloft, only staying in any one place long enough to gather provisions to reach the next settlement. Often she had to leave before even then, running before any local criminal turned the cold, predatory looks in their eyes into actions.

It was routine, dangerous, but it was hers. When she found somewhere that didn’t see her as a walking victim for robbery, or worse, she managed to earn enough money to buy protection - a simple hand crossbow. A year later she added another. Aside from defense, the weapons meant Cash could hunt on the road, limiting her time in towns. She learned to forage, track, build shelters and fires, but she never quite abandoned society all together. Instead she turned her new skills into money, helping out folks with problems in the wilderness they were ill-equipped to deal with. And so it went, year after year, season after season….

Until Frenslenn….

At twenty-six, Cash had grown into her physique, and found a perfect disguise in a long leather coat, wide brimmed hat, and the natural grime of the road. Frenslenn was just another small village of humans and half elves hunkering under the shadow of the High Forest. She planned to spend no more than a night or two, but within an hour of stabling her horse, a local farmer came sprinting into town with news of an Orc Raiding party on his lips.

Cash couldn’t say why she didn’t just mount up and leave. Maybe it was the senseless violence of it all, so unnatural compared to the ecological necessity of the wildlife she’d become so accustomed to. Maybe the confidence in her skills finally outweighed her fear. Maybe it was the way the townsfolk refused to leave, taking up pitiful arms in what would have been a great gravestone for communal bravery. Instead she sprinted to the treeline, and caught them in the forest, a terrain she’d lived and hunted in for years. The advantage was all hers, and she thinned out the orcs numbers significantly before they could fall on Frenslenn. She’d fought shoulder to shoulder with the townsfolk, and her crossbows made the difference. The Orcs were repelled, and Cash became a hero.

She demanded payment, of course, and a bed for a couple of nights. And yet there always seemed to be something the townsfolk asked her aid for. A child had been lured into the woods by the fey, and could she - please! - find them? Wolves were killing sheep and goats, and maybe she could thin their numbers to keep the town from starving? Known hoodlums were reported heading into town, and for a few coins would she stay until they passed through? They’d nicknamed her Cobra Cash because of her quick hands, and they seemed to have an endless list of tasks she, and only she, could do.

But when did she actually stop there? At some point they stopped paying her, and charging her for food and lodgings - just a tacit agreement that anything was hers, and her help was theirs. Was it then? She started looking for work rather than waiting for the next problem to materialise, often going days just patrolling the area around Frenlenn checking up on all the things she’d fixed already. There were Orcs to manage, Gnolls to chase away from the village, wild animals to keep from establishing hunting grounds nearby, the strange fey denizens to remind that their playground was the forest, not the villages bordering it.

When did she stop running? She didn’t know, but Cassaline Nagini had found Cobra Cash in the village of Frenslann after ten years of nothing but road.
[/sblock]

[sblock= Roleplay Sample:]
Carston’s was Frenslenn’s second tavern and hardly worthy of the name. A few rough planks nailed together made a bar against one wall, and a half dozen crude tables were scattered about a room perhaps fractionally larger than a hunter’s lodge. The chairs were all mismatched and wobbled. Most of it sat in darkness; a single lantern hung on the wall, making a puddle of light around Carston as he polished the bar. Grey haired but spry, he took methodical strokes with a stained rag, occasionally spitting onto the wood to bring out the shine.

The door eased open, and the wet, warm air or a humid summer’s night swept in around the brutish figure filling the doorway. There was almost no sound; the figure waited a moment, then stepped inside.

“We’re closed,” Carston said without looking up. His voice was dry, flat, crackling with age but hard enough to hear how the years had weathered rather than eroded him. The figure didn’t answer, approaching with heavy, deliberate steps. “We’ve no rooms either. Got two, and they’re both taken.” When the man stepped into the light, Carston looked up and realised what was happening.

The man was bald, huge, and unshaven. He stank, as though the casual malice of his sneer and the road dust sticking to his face effervesced off of him. “Not staying Old Man.” He croaked. At some point someone had tried to hang him; the broken voice and livid scar across his throat said it all. “I’ll be leaving as soon as you hand over your cash.”

Carston raised an eyebrow, then spat on the bar and went back to work. “Don’t think so.” He said simply. The larger man’s face contorted, and he pulled a spike slub from his belt, raising it high overhead.

In the dark of the common room there was a tiny click. Something whistled by, nicking the thumb holding the club and it rattled to the floor. The man cried out, spun, and there was another soft click. The second bolt went clean through the robber’s hand and pinned it to the bar with a solid thunk. Wailing in pain and trying to pull the bolt loose, he looked up as Cash stepped out of the shadows.

A bottle of whiskey dangled from one hand, perhaps a third empty. She lowered the crossbow to the complicated holster at her hip, and with smooth deliberate actions another bolt slipped into the firing groove, followed by the soft click of the mechanism clicking into place. She wore mens clothes - tunic, breeches, boots and a long coat that drifted to her shins - worn and dull with use. She raised the crossbow and used the bolt to push up the brim of her hat.

“Deaf as well as ugly and stupid,” she said. “You know I distinctly heard you say you were closed, Carston.” The old man scowled up at her, still polishing.

“I am. I wish you’d realise that and go to bed so I can too.” She took a swig from the bottle.

“I’ll be alright, don’t need you watching over me like I’m one of those.” She used the crossbow to gesture to the man who was panting with pain as though he’d just done a lap of High Forest.

“And leave you alone with my whiskey?”

“Call this whiskey,” she said, but smiled to draw the sting from the words. “I won’t drink it all.”

“Said that before.”

She looked at the bottle, grimaced, then slid it across the mirrored bar top into Carston’s waiting hand. Then turned to the thug on the floor. “Now, what to do with you. See there’s no real prison here, or garrison. Which means dealing with criminals is generally down to Frenslann’s village elders. And they don’t take kindly to - “

Both the thug and Carston suddenly glanced over Cash’s left shoulder and on instinct she darted to the right. A huge bladed sword carved downwards where she’d been standing, burying itself into the wooden floor. Cash fired downwards, bolt spearing through the second thug’s boot, pinning him. He howled and she darted behind him, planting a boot into the side of his knee with a awful crunch, dropping him to one knee. Not that falling any further was an option with a foot nailed to the floor. Cash reloaded using the holster she’d meticulously made, and grabbed the thugs hair, hauling his head back. The cries turning into a gurgling retch and she pressed the tip of her crossbow bolt to the base of his neck. He went quiet.

“That wasn’t nice, or smart.” She hissed. No answer from either of them, which wasn’t surprising as they probably expect to die in the next few seconds. “I really ought to do the Elders a favour and carry out their sentence here and now. But it’s late, and me and Carston are already annoyed that we’re going to have to clean the mess you’ve already made. Don’t think neither of us want to clean up a couple of corpses.”

“Nope.” Carston said, spitting on the bar. The thug she held stopped breathing, not really believing he was not about to die. His friend’s eyes were wide, almost comical when you considered his pinned arm.

“So here’s what’s going to happen. You leave, and in the morning I’ll come looking for you. I find you by noon, I kill you. I don’t, you live.” She gave the man’s head a violent push and he fell forward, growling in agony. “Well, you live as long as I don’t see either of you again within ten miles of Frenslann.”

“Cash? The one pinned to the bar stammered. “Cobra Cash?” She gave him a crooked smile.

“You know me. Good.” Stepping to one side she took a long swing with her boot and kicked the fletching of the bolt sticking out from the thugs foot. It snapped in half and he screamed as though she’d just run him through with a sword.With a wet sucking nose he fell and the foot came loose, spilling liquid almost black in the dim lantern light. “If you know who I am, you know I ain’t lying.” She took another step and smashed her boot into the man’s hand. The bolt splintered, snapped, and another scream filled the tiny tavern. He cradled it close, curled around it, sobbing.

“Now grab your friend and get running,” she said. “Because if you’re still in this place by the time I count to three, I use your eyes for target practice. One….” She didn’t even finish saying two before they tumbled outside, groaning and wailing, like some shadowy, burbling aberration of four arms, four legs and two heads. Silence settled like fresh snow.

“Wise letting them go?” Carston finally said. Cash tugged the brim of her hat back down and reholster her crossbow, a new bolt sliding into place.

“If I don’t find them tomorrow, they’ll talk. More word gets out I’m in Frenslann, it might make some of their ilk think twice before looking to make trouble here. That’s good for everyone.” There was another long pause, then Carston sighed and came out from behind the bar with a bucket of sand and a brush.

“You really going to help me clean up?” He asked. Cash turned and smiled.

“Cost you about half a bottle, Old Man.”

Carston rolled his eyes. “What in the hells did I ever do to deserve this?” he grumbled, then started tossing sand onto the bloody patches leading out the door. Cash laughed and swiped the whiskey from the bar.

“Cheers!”
[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Rikka Blackfeather (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Rikka Blackfeather

[sblock= Basic info]

Wood elf; Female
Rogue 1/Monk 4 (Way of Shadow)

>ATTRIBUTES (Used campaign array)
STR: 13 (+1)(Save +2)
CON: 15 (+2)(Save +3)
DEX: 18 (+4)(Save +8)
INT: 10 (+0)(Save +4)
WIS: 17 (+3)(Save +4)
CHA: 6 (-2)(Save -1)

-Initiative: +9,
-Speed: 45 (35 racial, +10 monk),
-Passive perception: 19
-Hit points: 38 (8+5+5+5+5, +10 CON); Hit dice: 1d8 +4d8
-Proficiency bonus: +3
>AC: 18 (+4 DEX, +3 WIS/unarmored defense, +1 Cloak)
-Melee attack (short sword): +7; 1d6+4 piercing (+1d6 sneak attack)
-Melee attack (unarmed): +7; 1d4+4
-Ranged attack (short bow): +7; 1d6+4
-Ranged attack (dart/shuriken):

>BASICS
-Hair: Black (Slighty wavy, but close-cropped)
-Eyes: Green
-Skin: very pale
-(Very badly scarred on the throat/neck; can gurgle or whistle but cannot speak. She can cast V spells well enough in normal circumstances, but this accounts for her low CHA- she can also mimic some speech through Minor Illusion casting, but rarely does so)
-Height: 5'1" /Weight: 105 lbs /Age: 25
-Alignment: N (Shar?)
-Background: Outlander (Exile/outcast)
[/sblock]

-Background: Outlander (exile/outcast)
-Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival, 1 musical instrument (drum), 1 language (?)
-Feature: Wanderer
-Trait 1: I'm driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home (and now it has brought me back)
-Trait 2: I'm always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.
-Ideal: (Live and let live) Ideals aren't worth killing over or going to war for
-Bond: (Custom) I will find out what happened to my village and my family (Also- My conscience compels me to atone for my misdeeds- maybe then I will find peace and the enlightenment that I seek)
-Flaw: I will never fully trust anyone other than myself (since my twin brother is gone) (Also- I'd rather kill some in their sleep, or by surprise, than fight fair)
[/sblock]

[sblock= Skills/Feats:]
>Skills: (* Proficient, $ Expertise)
*Acrobatics +7*
-Animal handling +3
-Arcana +0
*Athletics +4*
-Deception -2
-History +0
-Insight +3
-Intimidation -2
*Investigation +3*
-Medicine +3
-Nature +3
$ Perception +9 $
-Performance -2
-Persuasion -2
-Religion +0
*Sleight of hand +7*
$ Stealth +10 $
*Survival +6*

>Feats/ASI:
-Monk 4: Alert
-Next: ASI (DEX), Mobile
[/sblock]

[sblock= Racial features- Wood elf]
-Ability score increase: +2 DEX, +1 WIS
-Size: Medium
-Darkvision 60 feet
-Keen senses: Proficient in Perception
-Fey ancestry
-Trance
-Languages: Common, Elven
-Elf weapon training: Proficient with longsword, shortsword, longbow, shortbow
-Fleet of foot: Base speed= 35 feet
-Mask of the wild: Can attempt to hide while lightly obscured by plants/fog/natural phenomena
[/sblock]

[sblock= Class features- Rogue 1]
-Proficiencies: Light armor; Simple weapons, hand crossbow,longsword, rapier, shortsword; Thieves' tools; DEX and INT saves; 4 skills from list.
-Sneak attack: +1d6 once per round (Conditional)
-Expertise: Double proficiency bonus for 2 chosen skills (Perception, Stealth)
[/sblock]

[sblock= Class features- Monk 4]
-No additional proficiencies
-Unarmored defense
-Martial arts
-Ki: 4 ki points (restored on short rest; save DC 14)
-Unarmored movement: +10 feet (45 total)
-Deflect missiles: Use reaction to reduce ranged weapon attack by 1d10+8
-Slow fall: Use reaction to reduce falling damage by 20
-Monastic tradition: Way of Shadow
-Shadow arts: Gain Minor illusion cantrip; use 2 ki to cast Darkvision, Darkness, Pass without trace, and Silence (as an action, without material components)
[/sblock]

[sblock= EQUIPMENT (wealth= ? gp)]
-Bag of holding (uncommon)
-Cloak of protection (uncommon)
-Silvered shortsword (110 gp)
-Potion of healing (x4; 200 gp)
-Long bow (50 gp)
-Arrows (x40; 2 gp)
-Dagger (x3; 6 gp)
-Thieves' tools (25 gp)
-Small drum (6 gp)
-Traveler's clothes (x2; 6 gp)
-Quiver (x2; 2 gp)
-Bedroll (1 gp)
-Holy symbol (Shar; amulet; 5 gp)
-Silk rope (50'; 10 gp)
-Mess kit (2 sp)
-Tinderbox (5 sp)
-Belt pouch (x2; 1 gp)
-Rations (x4 days; 2 gp)
-Waterskin (2 sp)
-Chalk (x5 pieces; 5 cp)
-Writing slate (for chalk; 5 cp)
-Signal whistle (5 cp)
-372 gp, 4 sp, 5 cp cash (3x 100 gp gem, rest in coin)
[/sblock]

->Rikka was born in a small village in the High Forest- one of the few permanent settlements of the wood elf tribes there. She was one of the rarest of elven children- twin-born, with a nearly identical brother (Tekka), and the two of them were curious, quick, and clever, prone to exploring far beyond their village, even as far as the roads which led out of the forest to human settlements. Then one day, everything changed. Both of the twins were essentially teenagers, and they were beginning to learn the first details of a real trade- in this case, scouting. They were staking out one of the trade roads, spying on passing caravans- each night they would return to their village to report on what they had seen. One day, Tekka didn't return from his hiding place- Rikka, her parents, and the other elves of the village all searched the area with no luck; it was as if Tekka had vanished into the air. For months, Rikka and her parents continued to search every day, and to wait every night- but there was no sign, no trace. Increasingly despondent, Rikka began to travel farther and farther afield- in time her wanderings brought her to the nearby human settlement of Silverymoon. While the city was peaceful and well-ruled, it still had its dark corners and unsavory folk. In time, Rikka fell in with a bad crowd- and was recruited by agents of the Dark Moon, who had come to spy in the city. Rikka's combination of loss and curiosity made her an ideal recruit for the dark monks- and her skills made her a quick study... Soon enough, she took to the roads as an agent for the order. At first she was merely a scout and spy, but as her skills grew, she was put to use for more deadly ends. Her sense of loss, and her desperate need to BELONG insulated her from the pangs of conscience for several years. Finally, though, things changed once more. In the country of Amn, the monks of the Dark Moon were embroiled in conflict with the infamous Shadow Thieves, a quite literal 'Shadow War' for control of the darker parts of society. Rikka was part of a small team sent to take out a high-ranking member of the Shadow Thieves- but the mission was a disaster. Rikka was badly injured, and most of her companions were slain- while she managed to escape, Rikka found herself abandoned by her order, as part of a 'peace treaty' between the two organizations. Finally realizing just how much she had been used, Rikka left Amn- and for the first time in years she headed back towards what had once been her home. Perhaps there she could find peace, and time to heal- in both body and spirit. But when she arrived in the High Forest, she found that things had changed- her entire village had been swallowed by the so-called Dire Wood...

[/sblock]

Last edited:

3SpdDragster

First Post
I guess I will close character submissions on Wednesday. I think there are enough characters in the mix, so unless any of the above withdraw I wont be looking for any more characters.

I will update the first post with the party characters on Thursday.

Thanks again to everyone who put in a character.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Additionally, to reflect your previous experience, each character can choose either 1 RARE item or 2 UNCOMMON items from the DMG.

Feel free to upgrade any of your current items and sell any extra gear if you so choose.
- For example if you choose to take a suit of magic armour, you can get a full refund on one you bought earlier.
- If you have a themed weapon, i.e. an Ironwood club, feel free to apply the appropriate enhancements to it.

If you don't have a DMG, give me an idea of what you would like and we will see if we can find something. :)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
At first glance, I`m thinking of winged boots and a necklace of adaptation. I`ll think about it some more and update my character sheet accordingly.
FYI, I`ll tweak the classes slightly, and will go for a fighter 1/rogue2/warlock2 instead of a fighter 2/rogue1/warlock2. It fits my concept a bit better.

Also, for the other players, you can find a magic item list by rarity here.
Cheers,

SG

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Magic items, niiiice! :cool:

Could I make Yann's ironwood branch into a Staff of the Woodlands, 3Spd? (Probably without the spells since he isn't a druid?)

EDIT = Thanks for the XP and the Laugh. :)

Last edited:

Hillsy7

First Post
Right - Application completed with character sheet link, appearance and a sample post (got a bit carried away....hehe). It's all in my original post. I took a bit of a liberty to flavour the crossbow expert, loading issues with a bit of fluff using Cash's proficiency with leatherworking tools - hope that's OK?

As for equipment, I don't have the DMG so not sure what all the gear does. I guess mechanically, anything that gives a bonus to hit would be handy because of sharp shooter. Also probably any boost to AC too - though that's a given for any class I guess. Otherwise Cash is a light, fast ranger whose skills are designed for scouting and stalking.....so I'm pretty much up for any suggestion for gear that goes with that really!

River Song

Explorer
Added another character as a point of difference.

Name: Ydadoras the Stalker
Class: Rogue1/Ranger4
Alignment: LN
HP: 47
Hit dice: 1d8/4d10
Passive Perception: 24
Passive investigation: 20
AC: 18 (studded leather + shield)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 35'

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 118
Hair: Brown, Eyes: Hazel, Skin: Copper

Saving Throws:
Str 0
* Dex 7
Con 3
* Int 5
Wis +3
Cha -2

Base Stats
Strength: 10 (0) Dexterity: 18 (4) Constitution: 16 (+3) Intelligence: 14 (2) Wisdom: 16 (+3) Charisma: 6 (-2)

Skills
*Acrobatics +7
Animal Handling +3
Arcana +2
*Athletics +3
Deception -2
History +2
*Insight +6
Intimidation -2
*Investigation +5
Medicine +3
*Nature +5
*Perception +9
Performance -2
Persuasion -2
Religion +2
Slight of Hand +4
*Stealth +10
*Survival +6

* = proficiency

Combat
Init: +4
Melee: Rapier+1 To hit +8 (1d8+7/Piercing)
Ranged: Longbow +7 (1d8+4/Piercing)

RACE: Wood Elf

• +2 Dec, +1 Wis
  • Sixe: Medium
  • Speed: 35ft
  • Darkvision 60ft
  • Keen Senses
  • Fey Ancestry
  • Trance
  • Elf Weapon Training
  • Fleet of Foot
  • Mask of the Wild
  • Languages: Common, Elvish

Background: Outlander

• Feature: Wanderer
  • Origin: Bounty Hunter
  • Skills: Athletics, Survival
  • Tools: Horn
  • Languages: Orc

Class 1: Rogue

• Tools: Thieves
  • Saves: Dex, Int
  • Skills: Stealth, Insight, Acrobatics, Investigation
  • Expertise: Stealth, Perception
  • Languages: Thieves’ Cant
  • Sneak Attack: 1d6

Class 2: Ranger

• Armour: Light and Med and Shields
  • Weapons: Simple and martial
  • Skills: Nature
  • Favoured Enemy: Orcs, Goblins
  • Natural Explorer: Forest
  • Spellcasting: known 3, slots 3x 1st
  • Spells: Cure Wounds, Hunters Mark, Longstrider
  • Fighting Style: Dueling
  • Primeval Awareness
  • Ranger Archetype: Hunter
  • Hunter’s Prey: Colossus Slayer
  • Feat: Observant

EQUIPMENT (wealth=120gp)

Studded Leather Armour
a belt pouch
Rapier +1 of warning
- Adv on Init Rolls
- Bearer and companions within 30 ft:
-- Cannot be suprised unless incapacitated
-- Wake if sleeping naturally when combat begins

explorer’s pack (backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.)
Common clothes, Clothes, traveler’s,
Shield
Longbow + quiver +20 arrows
20 silvered arrows (quiver contains half and half)
dagger
antitoxin x2
healing potion x2
Thieves Tools

Background: Outlander – Bounty Hunter

• Personailty: I once ran 25 miles without stopping to warn my clan of an approaching orc horde. I’d do it again if I had to.
  • Ideal: Honor. If I dishonour myself, I dishonour my whole clan (Lawful)
  • Bond: I will bring terrible wrath down on the evildoers who destroyed my homeland.
  • Flaw: Don’t expect me to save those who can’t save themselves. It is natures way that the strong thrive and the weak perish.

Story:
Ydadoras is a Hunter of peerless skill, after his tribe was attacked by a horde of orcs, he led the survivors to safety before he went after the orcs. For six days he hunter them, for six nights he was a living nightmare to the orcs. There was no respite, no comfort for the savages. A sudden stab of cold steel from the darkness or a white feathered arrow suddenly materialising in their breasts greated orc after orc.

For six days the orcs tried in vain to corner the hunter, but no orc ever laid eyes on the elf. On the first day they lost sixteen warriors, on the second a further twenty fell. By the sixth day eighteen orcs of the original warband finally staggered into their stronghold, behind them they left the corpses of close to a hundred orcs.

Ydadoras painstakingly cut the ears from the orcs and left a white fletched arrow at the entrance to the orc hold, a clear warning that he would be waiting for them if they dared return.

Since then, he has hunted and killed many a foe for his kith and kin, until the Dire Wood was overcome by the ring of white trees and his people were forced out of their homes. Since then he has tried to pierce the evil of the forest but even his skill has been defeated.

Last edited:

Remove ads