[AU] Lost Dreams: The Stone Troll

DrSpunj

Explorer
(OOC: :eek: Why did I think it was nightfall? Sorry about that. Teach me to post before making sure of the blasted time of day!)

"My tribe uses sledges to help move larger things, but hunting parties tend to travel as light as possible, carrying necessities with them. That way, even if someone is separated from the group, every individual has enough basic supplies to keep them going until they can make it back. Still, we're heading for an unknown destination several days away from here, so a single sledge may be worthwhile for some cold weather camping gear, supplies and extra food. Those snowshoes will likely be the biggest help so we can maintain a decent pace along the way.

It would also be good to talk with some of the hunters & trappers who range around in the direction we're headed, to make the best use of protected paths & trails. I got some of that information from my conversation with Fat Jack, but I'd feel a bit better if we had more information. Master Mollen, do you or your associates here know of anyone that could help us in that regard?

Erekose13

Explorer
"I might be able to arrange a sledge for you, but you'd have to pull it yourselves, dont think any one has horses or dogs to spare in this weather. Take me a bit of time though to scrounge one up. As for hunters and trappers, probably best to try Grey's, he caters more to the harder sort round here. Actually if you do head there first tell him I sent you looking for Thom, if hes there he'll be able to help you out." Mollen says to Kalythar's questions.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Well, I have a pack mule, and I could press her into service drawing the sledge if necessary. Come on, let's go see if we can get extra food and supplies. Rope, lanterns and extra lamp oil, shovels, some pitons, grappling hooks, and if we can get any dogs, let's do so," Kelsis says, leading the way over to Grey's.

*When she gets there, she attempts to find the nearest free employee.*

"Greetings, my companions and I have need of some supplies for a long journey. We're in need of a great deal of trail rations, and also rope, lanterns and lamp oil, pitons, grappling hooks, shovels, and if you know any place where we can get sled dogs or guard dogs, that would be a fine bonus," Kelsis says briskly.

Erekose13

Explorer
By noon everything has been gathered. You are now in possession of a sled and Mollen's aides even managed to scrounge up a pair of dogs to pull it instead of your mule. With food for four (and the dogs) to last you a week as well as your blankets and bedrolls, snow shoes and all you are ready. As you step outside the wind has abatted a bit, the snow falling a little slower at the moment. You can even see the edge of the town.

Your time in town during the morning had not been spent idly as aids ran to and fro. Each of you set off to find more information about the surroundings to the north. Kelsis managed to find one individual who had done some ranging in that direction only a few weeks ago.

From what everyone found out including the information from the gentleman, Kelsis spoke too, the north is not a nice place to visit. There is a forest not a days walk from the town (in normal weather anyways). It is not too large, having been used for lumber to construct the town and build mining supplies. But dangerous beasts lurk in the forest, some say trolls but mostly predatory animals and the like.

The forest is not very deep but does stretch a number of miles east to west. Crossing through it should only take about a day or two. Beyond that the fields turn steadily more tundra like and very little grows except during the middle of summer. The barren hills stretch as far as the eye can see. Not many rangers head out there as food is scarce.

Rumors tell of a number of rhodin having been spotted about 3 days into the tundra, directly north of the town. They are a more recent arrival, not having played a very big part in the north. It might be best to see if you can find trace of them as you know that Shethswana employs rhodin.

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, 4th Level Human Runethane

Keeping an eye on the sled-dogs, Aadin takes one last glance over his shoulder as he trudges through the snow. The rapidly falling flakes obscure his last view of the tiny settlement. Though not attempting to lag behind, he does struggle to make headway through the snow. In between his laboured breaths, he continues a conversation with Kelsis.

"So these memories of Shethswana - what can we surmise of her tactics? I would venture a guess that she is a practitioner of some witchery - one of the lower magicks, perhaps, but she has already demonstrated her potency."

Aadin slips slightly as he pushes through another drift, and recovers his balance quickly. Without waiting for Kelsis' reply, he curses vehemently.

"Dramojh Teeth! This weather! My apologies Kelsis - I was going to ask if you could search the Akashic memory for knowledge of those who have fought such witches in the past."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"I will attempt to see what can be seen, once we pause for lunch or somesuch. This does require a bit of concentration," Kelsis warns.

*When there is a break, Kelsis will find a clear patch of snow and begin an energetic dance, leaping and twirling in a large circle, pounding her feet to the tunes of a drum only she can hear. Never once does she open her eyes, as the motions of the body are echoing the pathway of her mind; this is how Kelsis accesses the memories.*

[OOC - Delve into collective memory, +7 to the check to determine the powers of Shethswana or those similar to her.]

DrSpunj

Explorer
Kalythar watches Kelsis intently as she continues her dance, taking note that many of her movements are similar in some ways to the battle dance taught to the warriors of his tribe. He then surveys the surrounding area to keep an eye out for potential trouble.

(OOC - I've got a week long out-of-state meeting starting tomorrow. I think I'll have some access to the internet while I'm there, but I don't know how much and may not be able to post until I return. I'll try to do so if I can. Thanks!

Erekose13

Explorer
*Through the twisted corridors of the Collective Memory, Kelsis sends her unconsciousness. At times brilliantly lit with millions of colours and at other times all senses subsumed in nothingness, the Collective Memory swirls before her. Almost like a vivid dream, images flash in and out of being smell, taste, and touch all active as well.*

*After what feels like an infinitely long time and only a split second Kelsis arrives at a particular memory of a faen explorer who travelled the northern bounds of the Harrowdeep some 80 years ago. The quickling, by the name of Gwaelyn Steelsong, encountered beings similar to the ones that match the images you have of Shethswana from the memory stone. According to Gwaelyn's recollections the creature he encountered was called a frost witch or a yuhdne in her own language. Some of the abilities that he witnessed, now open to you through the Collective Memory, show this hag armored in a thick icy armor summoning powerful winter storms. As she turned to look at Gwaerlyn you feel a terrifying cold sap strength from your bones, her eyes burned a cold blue. It would seem that Gwaelyn met his end that day for the record stops at that point.*

GladiusNP

First Post
Aadin Lofgred, Fourth Level, Human, Runethane

Aadin observes Kelsis' dance through the smoke of his pipe. He glances over to Kalythar.

"Are we making good time Kalythar? It certainly seems we're moving quite slowly- but I suppose I've never traveled through such conditions."

Putting his pipe into his mouth, Aadin crosses his arms over his chest. He stamps his feet, now feeling the biting cold more acutely. He slowly exhales another plume of smoke.

Erekose13

Explorer
You figure that you must be making good time as by the time the light has all but dissappeared from the white/grey morass around you, you have managed to reach the eaves of a forest. Given that most of the information you had put it less than a days walk away, having reached it in about a day things seem to be moving according to schedule. With the blowing snow though it is hard to tell.

The eves of the forest are quite dark during this twilight hour without sun or moon to light your way even the flames of torches bring little comfort. The trees are mostly evergreens, but there are a few spruce and oak interspersed here and there. There are not many sounds beyond the crunch of your footsteps. You are quite glad though for the dogs and the snow shoes as together they have made the travel very easy even on Aadin. The dogs pull the sled to a stop panting hard from their exertions of the day.

Remove ads