• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babies

Xath said:
Anyone can stick a boob through a circle. It doesn't have to be Jaine. It could just be a regular nursemaid who we hire to feed the baby.
Playing devils advocate here...

But - we need to be sure that we do not bank too heavily on magical means of keeping this child alive. Magic, as we have learned, can be easily wiped out. The simpler, mundane means is - in many, many instances - the best.

Also - that means giving a ring gate to some random woman. Who will control her access? Will she have the ring with her at all times? If so, how are we going to be sure she does not divulge any information she may be come privy to whilst carrying it? Whose ears will the information reach with the ring gate out of Jaine's hands? Will we get a new set of ring gates for the wetnurse?

Laurel

First Post
okay let's try this, so far the options I have seen are:
1) Dara- feeds, protects and over all deals with both her baby and AA's while we travel the country and do battle

2) Jade Forest- Get some diplomacy and find someone who is a fighter but can also act as a nursemaid as well.

3) Nanny & Co.- A lowlevel nursemaid and someone who's only duty is to protect the nanny and child come adventuring with us.

4) Ring Gates- A recently pregnant woman feeds AA's kid from back in Hywrl- either by us passing the kid through or by just partially passing one through the gate.

If ring gates can not be used--
a) use boots of teleport to get child to a food source until ring
b)? should have more backups

If found, the nanny in 3 could be the nanny in option 4 as well. For now the nanny could be anyone, if we go with 4, or try option 4, then I do think Jaine should be consulted privately to see if she wishes to be the one giving the milk. But for now let's just get through stage one of picking one of the above or stating an option 5, 6, etc.

Xath

Moder-gator
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
But - we need to be sure that we do not bank too heavily on magical means of keeping this child alive. Magic, as we have learned, can be easily wiped out. The simpler, mundane means is - in many, many instances - the best.

I think using a woman who we don't have to keep constant watch on is simpler by far. I agree, magic can be easily wiped out. But that's why we have alternatives. Sure, there's the possibility the ring gate might be negated at some point. But there's also the possibility that any nursemaid we may bring with us will die. And frankly, its' easier to kill an untrained woman than to destroy a powerful magical item.

Also - that means giving a ring gate to some random woman.

Not necessarily. We can simply house the woman at the palace, and have her called to the room with the ring gate when required.

Who will control her access?

The guards in the palace and us. She only needs to be in the room when the baby needs to be fed.

Will she have the ring with her at all times? If so, how are we going to be sure she does not divulge any information she may be come privy to whilst carrying it?

No, she won't. And when she's feeding the baby, we'll have to watch what we say out loud. That's what the rings are for. Also, we'd have to make sure the woman was trustworthy before we hired her anyway, at least to a certain extent.

Whose ears will the information reach with the ring gate out of Jaine's hands? Will we get a new set of ring gates for the wetnurse?

It won't be and no.

Laurel

First Post
Playing devils advocate here...

Also - that means giving a ring gate to some random woman. Who will control her access? Will she have the ring with her at all times? If so, how are we going to be sure she does not divulge any information she may be come privy to whilst carrying it? Whose ears will the information reach with the ring gate out of Jaine's hands? Will we get a new set of ring gates for the wetnurse?
The ring gate does not need to be housed with the nanny- she probably has other things to do and we do need it for contact with others then just her. Preston or Dorn gets the gate or it remains hanging on some wall where it has been up to this point, and when feeding time comes the nurse-maid is brought to the gate.

Last edited:

Xath said:
I think it depends on the age. Though I doubt infants faced with the prospect of perfect happiness would choose out of duty to come back to a warzone.
That is what I was thinking... I wonder what the general chances are that this child is going to live past infancy, anyway... *ponders*

Laurel

First Post
Can babies be ressurected? Do they have the cognitive ability to choose to come back or to stay?

What do you think?
hmmm.... As Gertie said depends on age, but there is a lot to be said for a child needing it's parent. So if the light let it be asked, there is actually a good chance the kid would not think and simply want to be with daddy and/or mommy again.

Laurel

First Post
With the way we have been going through people and cities and the way the draconids have been devestating continents, I'd say they death rate of children reaching age 10 is at an all time high currently.

From what I remember Kennon saying conditions weren't that good anyways and the child mortality was nowhere close to the low levels we are at in RL.

Xath

Moder-gator
Infant mortality risks will always be there. But I'd say this kid will have as good a chance as any. After all, she'll be in more danger more often, but she'll also have some of the most powerful warriors in the world to protect her.

Laurel

First Post
Xath said:
Infant mortality risks will always be there. But I'd say this kid will have as good a chance as any. After all, she'll be in more danger more often, but she'll also have some of the most powerful warriors in the world to protect her.
Yep.

I was speaking in general terms for the world and the child survival rate of KOA. Peasant births are very risky, and as always even money and magic only makes it slightly less risky. So in general the mortality rate for children born in KOA is significatnly higher then the mortality rate of the US 2005.

Yes AA's child will have the best chance to defy the odds currently at work in the world- all the magic, spells, gold, and skills of those around her weigh heavily in her favor.

Remove ads