Banned Book Recommendation Thread

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not aware of books being banned around me.

I did attend a K-12 parochial system that did not put just anything in the grade school libraries. Books with 'heavy subject matter' landed in the high school library. Books that encouraged disrespectful or disruptive behavior / attitudes just were never bought by any of the schools in the first place.

I may have inadvertently precipitated a book review once:
I found a chemical formula I could not interpret, while reading Brave New World. I copied it down, took it to a chemistry teacher, and asked him what it was. He studied it a moment, he asked me where I found it. I told him. Then he said
"This is the chemical formula for dynamite."
and recommended that I not try to make any at home.

P.S. More recent printed editions of BNW do not include the paragraph with that formula.
Wow!

I read Brave New World MANY years before I ever took chemistry*, so I didn’t notice that. When is your copy from? I’m wondering if mine has the dangerous knowledge lurking within.

* and given my grades in Chem, probably wouldn’t have noticed anything anyway! 😂

Ryujin

Legend
Wow!

I read Brave New World MANY years before I ever took chemistry*, so I didn’t notice that. When is your copy from? I’m wondering if mine has the dangerous knowledge lurking within.

* and given my grades in Chem, probably wouldn’t have noticed anything anyway! 😂
I learned how to make both gunpowder and gun cotton from a book in my school library, in grade 6. Why they had a copy of a "chemistry dictionary" in a junior school escapes me to this day.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I learned how to make both gunpowder and gun cotton from a book in my school library, in grade 6. Why they had a copy of a "chemistry dictionary" in a junior school escapes me to this day.

Someone probably donated it to help you learn about chemistry? A lot of the concerns about kids making bombs and such are only in the past few decades. You can read about Nobel laureates growing up playing with nitrogen tri-iodide, for instance.

Ryujin

Legend
Someone probably donated it to help you learn about chemistry? A lot of the concerns about kids making bombs and such are only in the past few decades. You can read about Nobel laureates growing up playing with nitrogen tri-iodide, for instance.
Well it helped. I certainly learnt (and applied) chemistry.

Remove ads