• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbarian Playtest Experiences

Orcus Porkus

First Post
I'm pretty sure they do stack as they both have triggering effects happening at the same time you get to choose what order they trigger in. Personally I'm really enjoying my Genasi Barbarian that I'm working on focusing on crits and charges, as well as using a high crit weapon (fullblade in this case) I'm not focusing too much on con (which is still an 18 but still, we rolled our stats) Boots of Adept charging are extremely good to have when you're not raging as it helps you avoid OA's when you charge around the battlefield. We also have an ongoing joke/opening tactic of my barb having a readied action to charge the first enemy he can, oddly enough resulting in a crit kill right off the bat.

yeah our group looked at the stacking of crit/kill free attacks, and ruled it's possible to do both. They are both free actions, and no rules says you can't have 2 free actions. Too bad rampage is limited to only one attack per round :) I usually start the encounter with charging into a minion, then swift charge into the next, score a crit, kill another one - this could go on forever :)

Mengu

First Post
Initially I was thinking barbarians could do with a good boost to their AC, and gave them the higher of their Con/Cha bonus to add to AC instead of Dex/Int when in light armor. After seeing an 18 Con Barbarian in action for a while, I changed my mind, and while I still think they need an AC boost, I think +1 AC per tier should do the trick.

This still gives them insentive to keep a decent Dexterity which is very helpful for their reflex defense. And I still think it's important to give them +1 Fortitude and +1 Reflex as class bonuses, instead of +2 Fortitude.

amysrevenge

First Post
This still gives them insentive to keep a decent Dexterity which is very helpful for their reflex defense. And I still think it's important to give them +1 Fortitude and +1 Reflex as class bonuses, instead of +2 Fortitude.

I started mine with a 14 Dex because Heavy Blade Mastery is too good to pass up. As it is, I'll still have to "waste" one of my level-up points on Dex to get to 17 by Epic. This means that in Hide he's only one point behind Chainmail, and still has full Speed.

WalterKovacs

First Post
I started mine with a 14 Dex because Heavy Blade Mastery is too good to pass up. As it is, I'll still have to "waste" one of my level-up points on Dex to get to 17 by Epic. This means that in Hide he's only one point behind Chainmail, and still has full Speed.

Once armor hits +4, the master work comparison would be +3 (dex) +4 (mw hide) + 4 (enhance) vs. +9 (mw chain) + 4 (enhance) is 11 vs 13 ... which is a difference of two. The masterwork element increases the gap between light armor and heavy armor, since the intent is for the masterwork property to keep in sync with light armor users upping their dex/int at nearly every opportunity.

Mengu

First Post
Once armor hits +4, the master work comparison would be +3 (dex) +4 (mw hide) + 4 (enhance) vs. +9 (mw chain) + 4 (enhance) is 11 vs 13 ... which is a difference of two. The masterwork element increases the gap between light armor and heavy armor, since the intent is for the masterwork property to keep in sync with light armor users upping their dex/int at nearly every opportunity.

That's why I'm currently trying out a +1 per tier, since the Barbarian won't get to put points into dexterity as often as the other light armored folk like rogue, ranger, warlock, wizard, tactical warlord, and swordmage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads