Bastion's campaign sketches/art and REQUESTs

Acquana

First Post
BastionLightbringer said:
Thanks for the comments, I'll be posting some more soon. Any comments or criticism is welcome.

Well ... Please don't take any criticism personally, but you did say it was welcome.

Your work has a lot of promise, and you're being rather daring in your choices ... But it lacks a lot of techincal prowress. Mostly what'd do you good is anatomy. The face structures on most of them are kinda off ... in that it's fairly obvious you're letting what you seen of other illustrators dictate how you draw things (shape of the face, eyes etc) rather than figuring it out on your own ...

Especially the one woman you've posted. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a woman so I tend to get very picky about how they're drawn. Your body structure is better than a lot of your male figures ... Though if you're going to be as detailed as it seems, chainmail will not allow the curve of the breast to be seen. It would simply flow over the top curve and drape.

Most importantly (at least in my opinion) over-rendering does not make an illustration better. Adding lots of lines that don't really serve much purpose is what it may seem like people want to see ... But if you don't really have a definate light source it just ends up looking a little ... boring. And the really bad thing about lots and lots of rendering? If there's even a little bit off in the under drawing, it's going to stick out far, far more if you rully render the piece.

So anyhoo ... I hope that helps! There's some talent there, how old are you?

Acquana said:
Well ... Please don't take any criticism personally, but you did say it was welcome.
Well I guess I asked for it then.

Acquana said:
So anyhoo ... I hope that helps! There's some talent there, how old are you?

Well despite the fact that I draw like a amateur, I am 32 years old, but relatively a rookie. I stopped drawing when I was 18 because after the first day of college art class I decided I did not want to do art for homework or be an artist. Stupid , I know.

Well 6months ago, after 14 years without drawing, I decided to start up again. I was a little rusty. If you look in the Free request thread you'll notice my first couple are not that great. I don't always come up with great ideas, so I mine the request threads for ideas.

I have never had any art classes besides 1 or 2 basic high school art classes so excuse me if my drawings are a little amateurish. One of the reasons I love to post pictures is the feedback I get. Perfect strangers over the internet are not afraid to tell the truth. I know what you are saying about the faces, it is a weak spot. But what do mean by rendering? Do mean shading, because I suck at that as well/

Anyway, I'm working on the requests, hopefully I'll have them done soon.

Thanks
Bastion

Verbatim

Explorer
Thank you Bastion...and while I know I have the artistic ability god gave a bucket of hair, I just want to say that I think your stuff is great. If you ever feel up to a "big" task, one that I have no problem with sending you some bucks through paypal or what not, shoot me an e-mail, as my buddies in Boston are looking for someone to draw the PCs of their Wed game..:) The addy is crow112101 "at" yahoo.com.

Plus there is the gazillion pcs I go through here on the boards..:)

Can't wait to see Zeric...

Acquana

First Post
BastionLightbringer said:
Well I guess I asked for it then.

Well despite the fact that I draw like a amateur, I am 32 years old, but relatively a rookie. I stopped drawing when I was 18 because after the first day of college art class I decided I did not want to do art for homework or be an artist. Stupid , I know.

Well 6months ago, after 14 years without drawing, I decided to start up again. I was a little rusty. If you look in the Free request thread you'll notice my first couple are not that great. I don't always come up with great ideas, so I mine the request threads for ideas.

I have never had any art classes besides 1 or 2 basic high school art classes so excuse me if my drawings are a little amateurish. One of the reasons I love to post pictures is the feedback I get. Perfect strangers over the internet are not afraid to tell the truth. I know what you are saying about the faces, it is a weak spot. But what do mean by rendering? Do mean shading, because I suck at that as well/

Anyway, I'm working on the requests, hopefully I'll have them done soon.

Lesson 2: Never apologize for your work. Just say you'll work on it, and if you think the criticism wasn't accurate, just say to hell with the advice. ^_^ I've been through lots of critiques so I tend to forget that most people don't take it well ... Nothing is personal, just things to remember. Like I said, there's talent, and I just like to give encouragement to just about anyone who picks up a pencil.

The best part about drawing? It's a skill that anyone can pick up. No one should ever have to say "I can't draw a straight line with a ruler," because the vast majority of artists can't draw a straight line without one.

Edwin & Pick

Here you go Blargney.

If I get a chance, I'll try to post a better scan.
Hope you like it.

Bastion

EdwinPick.jpg

Thanks Verbatim. Well, Zeric is next, but I have a couple of questions.

I am not that familiar w hexblades, but does Zeric use a sword or just the mornigstar. Also I usually play in th eforgotten realms, so I dont know much about Hextor & cuthbert, but why is he training as a servent of hextor but he worships Cuthbert? I guess it doesnt matter for the drawing but i was curious.

I will start it tonight, so I may finish tonight or Monday night.

Bastion

ThorneMD said:
I would like to request a character drawing.

Lysian Alexael Vako
He is described as a moderately tall human with well-kept, short hair that is beginning to go gray. He stands 6’3” and weighs about 235 pounds. He is built like a soldier and walks with the look of experience. He is commonly seen wearing his black breastplate with an equally black helmet. He has a two-bladed scimitar with him and a cloak the color of fresh blood flows behind him. (The picture is in the Free Request Thread on the last page. Sorry if its a problem.)

He wields a two bladed scimitar and occasionally also has a javelin with him. His helmet looks like the one in the picture, but colored black.

Thanks if you do it.

I will be starting LYsian on Monday or Tues, but I have a quick question. A two bladed scimitar has scimitar blade at each end right?

Remove ads