Batgirl movie cancelled

Ryujin

Legend
On the one hand- this is great news for DC.

On the second hand- this is probably the only move they could have made. While I am sure that there are some grimdark Snyder fanboys still out there, sad that we will not get to see Superman put all the other heroes in their place with extreme prejudice (and in extreme slow motion), Gunn and Snyder have credibility with both the fans and (more importantly) with Hollywood creatives.

On the third hand (don't ask)- I predict the following headline in 15 months:

James Gunn Era Ends at Warner Bros. Discovery With Acrimonious Departure; What Went Wrong?
At least Gunn understands that they're telling stories that were, nominally, originally written for kids. It's not like they're making films of Dark Horse Presents, or some of the heavy graphic novel content. If you haven't seen "The Specials", which he wrote back in 2000, it's well worth the watch.

Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me.

While I'm sad that we won't get to see Synder's full vision (I loved his cut of Justice League) I'm also hopeful because I also like Gunn's style as well.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
While I'm sad that we won't get to see Synder's full vision (I loved his cut of Justice League) I'm also hopeful because I also like Gunn's style as well.

I always feel that this is necessary to point out.

The Snyder version of the Justice League was fine. I enjoyed watching it. It was better, overall, that what had been released.

However, it was also four hours long. It wasn't a movie. The "Snyder cut" that you saw could never have been released in theaters. I am sure that there are innumerable movies that directors could improve if you gave them four hours to really tell the story.

Not to mention that an additional $100+* million was spent ... above the $300 million (production only- not including marketing) that was already plowed into the movie.

Finally, the enjoyment I felt watching it was tempered by the recent revelations about the extreme harassment that caused its release.

*Originally it was said to be between $20-30 million. Then it was acknowledged to be $70 million. The most recent WB report has it at "more than" $100 million. Again- this wasn't for a theatrical release. This wasn't a new movie. And this wasn't including any marketing.

I always feel that this is necessary to point out.

The Snyder version of the Justice League was fine. I enjoyed watching it. It was better, overall, that what had been released.

However, it was also four hours long. It wasn't a movie. The "Snyder cut" that you saw could never have been released in theaters. I am sure that there are innumerable movies that directors could improve if you gave them four hours to really tell the story.
Well, it was originally planned to be two parts and you can see that. Yeah the recent revelation does tend to temper my enthusiasm

Mirtek

Hero
Maybe I gave up too early on the Snyder cut, but I don't think I even made it to a full third. I left it behind with the thought that I now fully understand why so much of that stuff was cut out for the first release.

Ryujin

Legend
If you want to make something like the Snyder cut then you release it on a streaming service as 10, half-hour episodes of a limited series.

As a fan of cinema as art, I want to argue that 4 hour movies should exist. There are a number of classics that wouldn't be the same without their extended run times. Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Cleopatra, etc, are all very long and deserve the extra length. And I don't think turning things into a series is always an alternative; that imposes it's own form upon the story that simple doesn't work all the time. I say we should bring back long movies with an intermission.

OTOH, the Snyder cut doesn't exactly feel like the best champion for this cause. And I haven't been to a theater since pre-COVID.

Ryujin

Legend
As a fan of cinema as art, I want to argue that 4 hour movies should exist. There are a number of classics that wouldn't be the same without their extended run times. Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Cleopatra, etc, are all very long and deserve the extra length. And I don't think turning things into a series is always an alternative; that imposes it's own form upon the story that simple doesn't work all the time. I say we should bring back long movies with an intermission.

OTOH, the Snyder cut doesn't exactly feel like the best champion for this cause. And I haven't been to a theater since pre-COVID.
I was going to mention intermissions, but you got there. I haven't been in a theatre that was showing anything but a play, that had an intermission, since I was maybe 6-7 years old.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas

I kind of agree the Snyder cut may not be the optimal champion...but if it does help make longer films more viable, I'm all in favor of that. I'd like to see more kinds of movies, longer and shorter.

Remove ads