Batman v Superman (open spoiler thread)

I will say this about Batman v Superman... It has removed Civil War from the thing I'm anticipating most in the next few months.
I cannot wait for the How It Should Have Ended for BvS.

For awhile there, When batman told Alfred that Luthor was attempting to bring in a dirty bomb, I thought that's how suicide squad is going to tie into this; but then it turned out he was lying to Alfred.

Absolutely. Parademons. Omega symbol burnt into the desert. Lex's harbinging. It's all Darkseid.

What I love is that Darkseid feels like he's gonna feel really evil, something I don't get from the Thanos hints in Marvel. That's the cartoon vs. mythology tonal difference, and I really appreciate the different styles. Darkseid already feels ominous to me.

That was my favorite bit, and I half expected Luthor to say "All hail Lord darksied"

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
That might still be Dark Knight Rises or Age of Ulton, whose biggest sins weren't a lack of quality but not being as good as predecessors.
Geeky movies, that's no contest. Force Awakens and Into Darkness are far more divisive.

Second viewing might change some minds. Watching a film again can shift opinions, when you remove surprise and wonder and the ineffable glee of seeing Superman and Batman together. Will it stand up?
I mean, I *loved* the first Abrams Trek film when I left the theatre. Then I watched it a couple more times and the flaws just became more and more apparent...

I just do not see those as polarizing like this one. At the theater some people clapped when it was over. Then I heard some people saying it was an incoherent mess. People didn't have that sort of reaction with Age of Ultron, DKR or ST. Maybe after some time people will agree that it sucks like the Transformers films. Or maybe with the extended cut it will get more love. Althought Luthor cannot be salved.

I'll give Snyder one thing. He can adapt Miller. Some parts of the fight to save Martha felt like Batman Year One when Bats is surrounded by cops. B v S falls more in the success column that were Watchmen and 300 than the blarg column Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians where. And 300 and Watchmen weren't above critical reproach.

Financially it B v S will probably be considered a success. As of yesterday, the film has made 197 millions world wide. 82 millions in the North American market.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Reading some critics, it feels like some of them feel left out. Like it was a film with too many winks that only Geeks of at least level 10 could understand.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I went in with a bad feeling and I came out saying "that was terrible". Lots of plot holes, made it a mess, this was a piece meal script that was just slapped together. Jesse Eisenberg was a very bad choice for Lex, did they even know who Lex is?

It will make a lot of money but think it will also have over a 50% to 60% drop during its 2nd weekend.

It seems DC cannot make a great movie out of its comics, good sometimes but not great.

25% a good movie, 25% a crap movie, 50% a workhorse piece of comic book action.

The Bruce Wayne drive into the collapsing Metropolis? Epic. The crossing paths of the three heroes at Lex's party? Solid. I'm even okay with the Jesus in heaven montage of Supes saving people. Wonder Woman grinning after getting knocked a hundred feet by Doomsday was pretty sweet too.

The tone goes back and forth awkwardly. Lex's plan does make negative sense, and if it's all Darkseid madness, that was badly presented. Superman should have been given a couple scenes where he actually emotes and interacts with people in a non-fight way. Lois was mostly pointless, especially her "Hey, we don't need this Kryptonite spear. Wait, :):):):). Now I'm drowning." thing.

Oh, and the whole "Here's an email that I'm going to spend 2 minutes reading and looking at videos, cutting off the dramatic build-up that was happening previously." Marvel knew enough not to rush introducing all their cast in a 2 minute montage.

Though I would have forgiven things if, after Lois threw the spear into the water, during the fight Aqua Man had popped out and said, "Hey, do you need this thing?"

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The plus: Actually addressing the consequences of the earlier battle. Having Lex's machinations be in the seams of the movie. Superwoman -- perfectly cast. Epic Batman and Superman smackdown.

The minus: Bullets in a covert op that can be traced to Lex. Tonal straight jacket. Mopey Superman. The question of why create Doomsday.

I thought the change in meaning about the painting was interesting. I thought it meant Superman but does it mean Darkseid instead?

Thx!
TomB

Remove ads