• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battletech - Blood of Kerensky

Darimaus

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
I'm not entirely sure I trust my trial partner. Also, I don't entirely trust the way rank seems to be based solely on luck and willingness to betray your allies. :uhoh:

The thing is, in most Grand Melees, your targets are your partner's opponents, not them. While it does involve kill stealing, most Clanners don't concieve of the notion of attacking their partners.

(Which is why Aidan was dropped so easily by it)

I need to head to bed, but I'll be updating in the morning.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Right now I think Caros is the only one to make Star Commander.
What would happen if someone also got Star Commander or Star Captain? Would those like ranks battle it out for the lead position or would it not matter? Just curious.

My money is on us having two Star Commanders... go team go!!

-Blood

Fenris2

First Post
Interestingly enough I agree with Dire Lemming. It does get nail biting in a way that most of my other games are not, which is very odd... Well, always remember its just a game, hard to keep in mind sometimes. lol..

Okay so question. If the Lanner is now beating Ramone in init, that means he has piloting 1? Ouch. If he is supposed to be my easy test hmm... not looking so good for 2 or 3 now is it. Those instructors must hate Ramone... Lol.

So here it is. I can not burn my foe out due to gm winduced workload. And I am pretty sure I can not close on mr. lanner in the woods. Sure, I can go in there, but the only way to have any shot at hitting him means sitting still, so that he has to move into range. Still not so good an option as we will be pretty even, and I need to soundly beat his butt w/o accruing damage to have a shot at my 2 or even 3. Also, he does not seem to wana move lately, so that seems iffy.

Okay chase him. Seems like really bad odds. Probably easier to just to eject now, because I am unlikely to ever get a shot due to concealment/cover rules in those woods... He will end up in a heavy woods hex or something each turn, given he has between 1.5x to 2x my move.

But, before you despair, there is always pulling an Ender. I was not known in warhammer circles as 'Cheesey Dave' for nothing... So odd strategems 'R Us is my motto.

Until its a melee the other guys can not shoot yes? So while Mr. Lanner sits and reads a novel or whatever... Walk up behind my #2 foe and pop him with everything while targeting for center torso rear.
If Mr. Lanner decided to follow along? Well then, I can drop plan 'operation melee' and go for shooting again. Either way leaving me real effin close to my #2/#3 after someone goes kaboom. Well, life's not perfect.

Other option, Sorry Allard, but go for one of the other combatants he is fighting. I do not prefer this option, but whatcha gonna do?

So, anyone see something I am missing?

Last edited:

Darimaus

First Post
Fenris2 said:
Interestingly enough I agree with Dire Lemming. It does get nail biting in a way that most of my other games are not, which is very odd... Well, always remember its just a game, hard to keep in mind sometimes. lol..

Okay so question. If the Lanner is now beating Ramone in init, that means he has piloting 1? Ouch. If he is supposed to be my easy test hmm... not looking so good for 2 or 3 now is it. Those instructors must hate Ramone... Lol.

So here it is. I can not burn my foe out due to gm winduced workload. And I am pretty sure I can not close on mr. lanner in the woods. Sure, I can go in there, but the only way to have any shot at hitting him means sitting still, so that he has to move into range. Still not so good an option as we will be pretty even, and I need to soundly beat his butt w/o accruing damage to have a shot at my 2 or even 3. Also, he does not seem to wana move lately, so that seems iffy.

Okay chase him. Seems like really bad odds. Probably easier to just to eject now, because I am unlikely to ever get a shot due to concealment/cover rules in those woods... He will end up in a heavy woods hex or something each turn, given he has between 1.5x to 2x my move.

But, before you despair, there is always pulling an Ender. I was not known in warhammer circles as 'Cheesey Dave' for nothing... So odd strategems 'R Us is my motto.

Until its a melee the other guys can not shoot yes? So while Mr. Lanner sits and reads a novel or whatever... Walk up behind my #2 foe and pop him with everything while targeting for center torso rear.
If Mr. Lanner decided to follow along? Well then, I can drop plan 'operation melee' and go for shooting again. Either way leaving me real effin close to my #2/#3 after someone goes kaboom. Well, life's not perfect.

Other option, Sorry Allard, but go for one of the other combatants he is fighting. I do not prefer this option, but whatcha gonna do?

So, anyone see something I am missing?

Your analasis is fairly accurate given your situation, but there are a few errors in it. First off, your assuming that your opponent has a piloting of 1 is mistaken. First off, when two people refocus in the same combat with each other, there is another initiative roll on both their parts, in order to make things even. It also means that there is no garauntee of success for the second person who refocuses. In this case, he beat you in the roll off. More importantly, your forgetting he could ALSO have a 2 piloting, making him your equal rather than superior. You fight fellow warriors in these trials, and they all have the same roll for skills that you guys had.

Now, since I helped Dire Lemming, I feel obligated to give you a hand to, so heres my take on things.

First off, your strategy involving a grand melee has 1 of 2 flaws. The first is your odds of winnig a 2 on 1 fight and getting Star Commander are low, especially since the Black Lanner would close realy fast, giving you no room to breath, and sticking you between it and an assault mech. I suggest you find a viable escape route or method of cover that would force the slower mech to get outpaced and leave the Lanner on its own. Then the fight is one on one, and you would already have a kill. Good times had by all.

But this doesn't even work if you can't bring down the #2 mech, which has a flaw of its own. The mech isn't going to just let you have its back. It will turn with you. You need to be really careful about going about this, since a failure will mean imminent destruction. You'll need to put some though into how your going to get a shot at its back. Get creative. And hope you can aim true. You difficulty would be at least 5, if you don't move that round. Plenty of room for castle to screw you over (its been doing alot of that lately :p )

If you do take this course of action, remember one thing. No regrets. No looking back. This is your chance to prove you are a clan warrior. Show them you deserve to command.

Jemal

Adventurer
Looks like we're waiting on Arkhandus and Fenris.

Also, seems Caros is the only Star Commander so far.. a lot of us came pretty damn close, but...

Come on Ark & Fen, one of you's gotta do it so we can have a couple stars!

Arkhandus

First Post
I'd like to take down that Warhawk, but I've got to find some way to reach it without dropping..... He'd have at least 3 rounds of free shots against me if I tried to approach from where I am at the hill....and everything seems to be whittling away at my center torso. :\ :uhoh: :heh:

Remove ads