Be a Ranger! Babylon 5: Outrageous Fortune (Re-recruiting)

Shayuri

First Post
I'm interested...but I'm concerned I'm stretching myself thin.

I'm in a lot of games.

Couple that with my lack of knowledge of the system, and I'm not sure I could give this game what it deserves.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I understand - there seems to be a hardcore of you who are in every game on these boards!

Don't worry too much about the system, if you know d20 you know the basics and I can help with the specifics. Although if you want to play a teep that adds another layer of complexity to the mix!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I'll let doc explain more profoundly but I'll give a quick tour. It is basically a skill-based system. You have telepathy skill which you use to activate abilities. Every ability has both skill DC to use and power level. DC is straight-forward skill check ofcourse. The power level is one that you must meet with you P-rating and conditional bonus. At best you can use abilities with power level egual to your P-rating + 6 by taking nonlethal damage.

P-rating is determined at character creation. You have to take telepathy as your starting feat. You roll 2d4-2 and that's your P-rating. Then you get a bonus feat which can be used on feats tagged as telepathy related or use it to boost your P-rating by 6. So maximum is P-12. After creation you can't anymore change the rating.

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Dr Simon said:
You get a first level feat as well as class bonuses, and 3600 credits worth of personal gear.
You sure? That's double the normal maximum starting for officer. I don't mind, that gives me enough to get me a minbari laser too but I just wanted to make sure you didn't make a mistake.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Gah, you're right - I'm reading 3D6x100 as giving a maximum of 36x100! Well, it's got 3s and 6s in it. That should be 1800, you're right.

Some equipment will be provided for the mission. But not much...

Dr Simon

Explorer
Blackrat said:
I'll let doc explain more profoundly but I'll give a quick tour. It is basically a skill-based system. You have telepathy skill which you use to activate abilities. Every ability has both skill DC to use and power level. DC is straight-forward skill check ofcourse. The power level is one that you must meet with you P-rating and conditional bonus. At best you can use abilities with power level egual to your P-rating + 6 by taking nonlethal damage.

P-rating is determined at character creation. You have to take telepathy as your starting feat. You roll 2d4-2 and that's your P-rating. Then you get a bonus feat which can be used on feats tagged as telepathy related or use it to boost your P-rating by 6. So maximum is P-12. After creation you can't anymore change the rating.

Blackrat pretty much has it covered. To enter the telepath class you need to take the Telepath feat, which gives you a P-rating of 2d4-2 (if you unhappily end up with 0 you become a latent teep). Telepath characters also get a bonus 1st level Telepathy feat but you can exhchange that for +6 to your P-rating.

The Telepathy skill (Cha-based) is needed to actually use any abilities.

Telepathic abilities belong to five Disciplines - Scanning, Blocking, Communication, Biokinetics and Sensing. This really only matter from second level onwards where you get the Discipline Focus class ability (see below).

You can use any telepathic ability, depending on your P-rating.
If the required rating of the ability is less than or equal to your P-rating, all you need to do is make the Telepathy skill check. If it is higher, you can push your P-Rating by taking nonlethal damage. You roll 1d4 for every point that you wish to increase your P-rating, up to a maximum of 6d4. This is the nonlethal damage you take. If you have the relevant Discipline Focus you only roll d3s.

Example:

Surface Scan is an ability in the Scanning Discipline. It has a P-rating of 7.

A P-5 telepath can choose to take 2d4 nonlethal damage to push their P-rating up to 7. They then make a DC 16 Telepathy check. If successful, they get the information they need. Even if the check fails you still read surface thoughts but not necessarily anything useful.
If this teep has Discipline Focus (scanning) then they only roll 2d3 nonlethal damage. If they have P-7 or higher, they don't need to take any non-lethal damage.

[sblock="Telepathy Disciplines"]
Traits - Accidental Scan (P1), Mind Shield (P1), Danger Sense (P7). These are constantly active and reflexive traits.

Biokinetics - Action Block (P14), Daze (P8), Nerve Stimulation (P12), Pain (P10), Reality Fabrication (P16)
Blocking - Extend Shield (P5), Jamming (P15), Mind Mirror (P6)
Communication - False Memory Implantation (P16), Idea Seed (P8), Message (P6), Second Sight (P7), Warning (P4)
Scanning - Deep Scan (P10), Surface Scan (P7)
Sensing - Locate Mind (P10), Psychometry (P15), Sense Telepathy (P5)
[/sblock]

[sblock="Telepath Class features"]
Initial HP 6+Con modifier
Initial Skill Points (4+ INT modifier x4)
Class Skills : Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Initimidate (Cha), Intiruge (Cha), Investigate (Int), Knowledge (specific culture, specific local or telepathy) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Notice (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Telepathy (Cha).

Influence: 1d6 in any Influence (probably Bureau of Telepath Integration)
Proficiency: Pistol Weapons

Starting Credits 1800

BAB+0
Fort +0
Ref +0
Will +2
Defence +0

Bonus Telepathy Feat or +6 P-Rating
[/sblock]

Easy, really :)

Shayuri

First Post
Eee...random rolls scare me.

Do you want to roll, or shall I?

I'd almost rather you did. I have terrible luck with Invisible Castle.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I'm almost tempted to just let you choose, but if you want the random roll, I got a 5. If you forgo the bonus feat that puts it up to a very respectable P-11!

Remove ads