• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bear's Endurance vs Level Drain

Yokiboy

First Post
DarkMaster said:
This should be moved to house rule

Why should it be moved to House Rules, when I'm simply asking how to interpret the rules? I honestly don't know if casting Bear's Endurance on a character suffering negative levels as a result of a Level Drain. The reason is that the Level Drain save takes place 24 hours after the actual level drain, and how would a spellcaster know just when to cast a spell that lasts a mere minute per level?

Even if the caster figured out exactly when to cast Bear's Endurance, would it help anyways? Since I see it as more of a general save to see if you can kick the Level Drain, not something you feel coming and can help against with a potion of Bear's Endurance. So what's the official word on my dilemma, or at least how have the rest of you interpreted the situation?

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
In the Rules Forum, the answer is, "Yes".

In the House Rules Forum, my answer would be, "Yes".

Is that the official word, or how you treat it in your campaign (oh no, now I might be off to the House Rules forum again :D).

mikebr99

Explorer
Yokiboy said:
Why should it be moved to House Rules, when I'm simply asking how to interpret the rules? I honestly don't know if casting Bear's Endurance on a character suffering negative levels as a result of a Level Drain. The reason is that the Level Drain save takes place 24 hours after the actual level drain, and how would a spellcaster know just when to cast a spell that lasts a mere minute per level?

Even if the caster figured out exactly when to cast Bear's Endurance, would it help anyways? Since I see it as more of a general save to see if you can kick the Level Drain, not something you feel coming and can help against with a potion of Bear's Endurance. So what's the official word on my dilemma, or at least how have the rest of you interpreted the situation?

TTFN,

Yokiboy
Well... that's a way more elaborate question.. ;)

A knowledge check - undead - should be required to get an idea on time lines... DC15... 20.

You know what time of day you were affected... you now know when it is due to become permanent... I think you should be able to very accurately time your Bear's END' and Resistance... and whatever will help with the saves!

Mike

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
There is actually 2 questions going on here:

1) Does Bear's Endurance help with level drain saves?
2) Can a caster successfully determine when a person needs to make his save?

The answer to the first question is yes. Increases in Con add to fort saves, all fort save. There is no exceptions listed under level drain.

The second question is a tougher one. Characters usually don't have wrist watches. I might allow a knowledge astronomy check for a rough estimate if they can see the stars and the sun. They would have to make a check when the level drain happend and again in about 24 hours assuming they were waiting for it.

Ferox4

First Post
Crothian said:
The second question is a tougher one. Characters usually don't have wrist watches. I might allow a knowledge astronomy check for a rough estimate if they can see the stars and the sun. They would have to make a check when the level drain happend and again in about 24 hours assuming they were waiting for it.

I have always hated this aspect of the game. I do not allow this in my campaign. Perhaps if the Cleric casts augury or some other divination to glean the necessary knowledge....maybe. When I am not DMing I play a Cleric and I always have some Restoration spells allocated to prevent such a thing - it's his job after all to look after the welfare of the party.

Remove ads