• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Being stunned

Darth Malakh

First Post
Ok, how's it if someone is stunned and you try to trip him. does he still get to counter-trip you if you botch your attempt? Furthermore, there's no AoOing if you're stunned, right?

Malakh

Thanee

First Post
Don't think a stunned creature can counter trip, and of course no AoO either.

Besides, stunned creatures drop everything held in hand.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Counter-tripping is explicitly called a reaction and while stunned you cannot take any actions. I think that invalidates counter-tripping more than just based on the logic. ;)

Goolpsy

First Post
No you cant counter trip, neither make any AoO's... I actually dont know if they drop their weapons though.. could seem logical..

btw a stunned person, does he get Dex to Ac ?? (If Yes, then he can probably make an AoO but im not entirely sure he can counter trip, but i guess yes too.. As its all reactions)

moritheil

First Post
Goolpsy said:
No you cant counter trip, neither make any AoO's... I actually dont know if they drop their weapons though.. could seem logical..

btw a stunned person, does he get Dex to Ac ?? (If Yes, then he can probably make an AoO but im not entirely sure he can counter trip, but i guess yes too.. As its all reactions)

It's stated somewhere in the rules that they drop their weapons. In fact, I think they drop whatever they're holding, weapon or not.

IIRC stunned people lose their dex bonuses.

VorpalStare

First Post
From the PHB p. 313:

A stunned creature drops everything held, can't take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

So no AoO's and no reactive attacks, such as a counter trip.

mostholy2

First Post
Silly me, I just realized that people were talking about the counter-trip occurring after a botched attempt to trip. Of course, this is an active action which I would rule requires conscious effort to complete the action.

That being said, I do not think that opposed rolls (to oppose the original trip/grapple/disarm/sunder) should be considered actions. It would make the 0-lvl Daze person way overpowered for it's lvl. It's bad enough that the dazed opponent can't take AoO's, but to also automatically have them fail any opposed roll is just too powerful.

Last edited:

Remove ads