Best comic storyline

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kingdom Come ( when asked about doing an adaption, Bruce Timm said it would be impossible due to Alex Ross's art style in that they either would be questioned why they didn't or they would be lambasted for attempting to copy it and it not working)
I suspect it could be done with CGI animation. I love Kingdom Come, but I also think it's a story that doesn't really resonate as well as it once did. The 1990s comics style won, even if DC Comics and their movies arm are trying to walk back a lot of the mean-spiritedness that took over the line after the publication of Kingdom Come. (I have a hard time picturing the people who published Kingdom Come greenlighting Identity Crisis, but they did.)

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
(I have a hard time picturing the people who published Kingdom Come greenlighting Identity Crisis, but they did.)
Identity Crisis is so frustrating to me. Where it's awful, it's so awful. Just offensive and tasteless. I don't think any of that needs to be rehashed. But where it's good, it's delightful. The opening sequence with Ralph talking to Lorraine Reilly about Sue is sweet and deftly handled. And Meltzer and Morales do fantastic character work throughout. On some level, if it were just outright bad or gross all the way through, that'd be one thing (for me, for instance, Spider-Man: Reign). It's more disappointing and frustrating to me because of where it's not and what they might've chosen to do instead of what they did.

I’m tempted to say the entire Claremont/Byrne run on the X-Men, but I’ll confine myself to the Dark Phoenix saga. An emotional freight train.
This is the correct answer. I still come back to the trade paperback every few years and it still is as great as I remember it being.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Daredevil Born Again got me back into comics in college. Too bad Miller has turned into kind of a butthead
Sandman Midsummer Night's Dream or Doll's House
Saga
Usagi Yojimbo - the entire run really but I'm partial to Lone Goat and Kid
I read so many X titles in the late 80's and early 90's that I can't remember which ones I liked... The ones where they fight Mojo I guess?
Love & Rockets - Death of Speedy

Richards

Legend
When I was stationed at Minot AFB, I lived across the street from Bill Sienkiewicz's cousin. I brought her over a sample of his comic book work (New Mutants, Moon Knight Elektra: Assassin); she knew he was a comic book artist but had never seen any of his finished products. (She was also amused when, after mentioning his name, I replied in astonishment with, The Bill Sienkiewicz?" She knew he did comics but had no idea he was well-known in the comics field.)

Johnathan

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
When I was stationed at Minot AFB, I lived across the street from Bill Sienkiewicz's cousin. I brought her over a sample of his comic book work (New Mutants, Moon Knight Elektra: Assassin); she knew he was a comic book artist but had never seen any of his finished products. (She was also amused when, after mentioning his name, I replied in astonishment with, The Bill Sienkiewicz?" She knew he did comics but had no idea he was well-known in the comics field.)

Johnathan
How did he pronounce the "w" in his last name? with a V or a W sound? And where did he put the accent? I have literally heard his name pronounced at least 4+ different ways

SIN-keh-wits
SIN-keh-vich
sien-KEH-vits
sihn-keh-VICH
etc

Richards

Legend
Sadly, I have no idea. I never talked to him directly, just to his cousin, and this was back in the late 1980s - I can't recall how she pronounced it, either.

Johnathan

Remove ads