Best comic storyline

ichabod

Legned
I knew a guy in college who's last name was Darsienkiewicz, pronounced DAR-sin-keh-vich. When I first met him, he said "I bet you can't spell my last name." Got it in one.

It is my understanding that the artist pronounces the w as a v, which is the source of the Kevitch persona of the Roach character in Cerebus. It was an in-joke on the pronunciation of his name. But that's just what another comic fan told me when I was in high school.

Clint_L

Hero
Hard to argue against Dark Phoenix saga, and if I had to pick a mini-arc it would probably be "Days of Future Past." That team was just on fire. Miller's original Daredevil run still holds up (I'm loath to pick mini-series such as Dark Knight and Kingdom Come because I feel like this thread is more about arcs that existed within ongoing continuity). Oh, and Daredevil's "Born Again" arc too, for sure.

Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow run deserves a shout out for having some amazing stories but also for moving the bar forward in terms of what kind of story content could be attempted within the Comics Code; I don't think you get Claremont/Byrne's work on X-Men without it.

We gotta talk Lee/Kirby's FF run, with "The Coming of Galactus" at its heart, and Lee/Romita on Spiderman, particularly "Spiderman No More." Oh, and "Death of Gwen Stacy," obviously.

Walking Dead's Prison arc is a classic; I know everyone got burnt out because of the TV series but that comic was amazing (as was Kirkman's simultaneous work on early issues of Invincible; another artist at the peak of their powers).

Civil War is another great read from top to bottom. "Kraven's Last Hunt."

I feel like I should mention "Crisis," but I have mixed feelings on it as it ushered in the era of "event" storylines that recalibrated continuity, and I kind of blame those for where comics are at today (mostly unfairly, because I know there are much larger socio-economic issues at play).

Clint_L

Hero
One thing this thread has me reflecting on is how many arcs should have been just left alone, but comics always gotta go back and tinker, resurrect, etc. Has anything subsequently done with Jean Grey come close to matching the Dark Phoenix saga? How much richer would her story be if Marvel had let her have her perfect ending? Comics gotta learn to just walk away. Make something new, instead.

Clint_L

Hero
Daredevil Born Again got me back into comics in college. Too bad Miller has turned into kind of a butthead
I mean...it was always kind of there. The Dark Knight essentially ends with Batman at the head of a fascist state, and it seems to be represented as a positive (I used to think Miller had to be going for irony, but given his subsequent statements, as you've pointed out...).

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I knew a guy in college who's last name was Darsienkiewicz, pronounced DAR-sin-keh-vich. When I first met him, he said "I bet you can't spell my last name." Got it in one.

It is my understanding that the artist pronounces the w as a v, which is the source of the Kevitch persona of the Roach character in Cerebus. It was an in-joke on the pronunciation of his name. But that's just what another comic fan told me when I was in high school.
Today I went down a wikipeidia rabbit hole and found this author, and a handy pronunciation guide
shen-KYAY-vitch, -⁠KYEV-itch

Remove ads