Best Cover Songs of All Time

G

Guest 7034872

I mentioned this cover up-thread. Here are some videos, first, the original:
You, sir, have my exact musical tastes (seriously--this whole thread page). Should we ever meet in real life, the beers will be on me and I will be anxious to share notes on all sorts of artists.

R_J_K75

Legend
@Zardnaar & others wondering about great vocalists in rock’s harder genres, here’s a non exhaustive list of some of the ones I find most important:

Mark Storace
Rob Halford
Geoff Tate
Ian Gillen
Chris Cornell
Skin
Wendy O. Williams
Mike Patton
Robert Plant
David Coverdale
Lajon Witherspoon
Ronnie James Dio
Jim Gillette
King Diamond
Chino Moreno
Corey Glover
Amy Lee
Layne Staley
Christina Scabbia
Doro Pesch
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Kyo
Jay Buchanan
Maynard James Keenan
Doug Pinnick
Sebastian Bach
Id add Cedric Bixler Zavala to that list

R_J_K75

Legend
Yeah I've been watching his solo stuff and I did get into Audioslave a long time ago.
If you dont know or havent heard, in 2001 before Audioslave (the album) came out there was a dispute between Cornells and Rages record labels and the band almost broke up before they even put out their first CD. The demos were leaked online under the name "Civilian". Well worth checking out as some of the songs are quite different, if not better than the album versions. Think theres a few songs on those demos that didnt make it on the first CD too.

For the record, the CD "Scream" he put out in 2009 with Timbaland is great even though it was panned by fans and critics. You can never say the guy wasnt willing to take chances.

His cover of Billie Jean was so different and original and made it so good.

R_J_K75

Legend
Definitely not the best cover or even the best song but the story behind it is pretty tragic. Alot of people think "Without You" was written by Harry Nillson when in fact it was written by Badfinger. As far as I know both Pete Ham and Tom Evans really resented Nillsons success with the song. Whether this had anything to do with it or not I don't know but they both hanged themselves as later in their dwindling careers they were pretty much destitute.

R_J_K75

Legend
Could be wront because I didnt read everything but I surprised Diamonds and Rust didnt make the list. And to a lesser extent Green Manilishi.

And.....Im Back, Back in the New York Grove....also a cover

G

Guest 7034872

Wow. Van Zandt is an absolute favorite of mine, but I never knew they did a cover of him. Awesome.

Remove ads