Best Fleshed Out Cities for use with fantasy TTRPG

The original Waterdeep and the North (1e) contains a lot of information in bare bones format. It was the original and is still a good foundation. Volo's Guide to Waterdeep (2e) is great for presenting info to players in a more in-character way. It's great when used as a supplement to any other Waterdeep book. Waterdeep: City of Splendour (3e) is the biggest one and wastes more space on rules crunch (3e after all), but also contains a lot of good material in one package. It's on my list to get to.

I haven't looked at the old 2e box set, but knowing 2e location sourcebooks I would expect it to be excellent. My guess is that if I had it I would concur it is your best option. Dont confuse it with City System which is mostly just a box of Waterdeep maps.

D

dco

D&D --> Ptolus, Freeport (this has a version without system), etc.
Shadow world RM --> Eidolon and Sel-kai city or the new version Eidolon city by the sky, Haalkitaine and the Imperial Court.
Warhammer --> Marienburg and Middenheim. The 2nd edition has some books with some pages for a city and adventure like Terror in Talabheim.
Fantasy Hero --> Valdorian age setting is a bit like Conan, it has 60 pages for a city.
MERP --> Minas Tirith
Pathfinder --> Guide to Korvosa + Curse of the crimson throne campaign.

Last edited:

practicalm

Explorer
If you are looking for good city books, Tredroy for GURPS is great because it has a good 3 empires meeting at one city theme that makes it an exciting adventure location.

Fluerdemal

Explorer
Thinking about it there was also City of Lies for Legend of the Five Rings, plus Manifest in/for Ghostwalk had a really decent hook and some details for 3/3.5. In addition to the City State of the Invincible Overlord there was City State of the World Overlord - plus, and I'm really embarrassed to admit it, the Free City of Haven for the Thieves Guild system - it was really, really amazing.

D.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Someone upstream mentioned the City of Brass, and I'll add a firm vote for it. The 2e D&D Al-Qadim sourcebox Secrets of the Lamp has a pretty comprehensive overview of the City and it's districts in it.

My company has actually just finished the manuscript for an adventure/sourcebook on the City of Brass, which updates (slightly) the material in Secrets of the Lamp and includes a Tier 2 adventure module. In addition to the raw materials, we provide plot hooks/seeds for each of the 20 or so quarters in the City.

If that sounds good to you, keep your eyes peeled; we will be releasing it within the next few weeks.

Fluerdemal

Explorer
LOL, been playing SciFi and Horror lately - forgetting what's stored in boxes in the basement.

There was also the City of Delights boxed set for... Calimport? Plus all the related materials over editions.

D.

Remove ads