Best Map of The City of Greyhawk?

Maldin

First Post
Hmmm... Looks like I'm going to have to update my pop-up labels on the City of Greyhawk webpage with street names! I've recently been asked about this from several different directions. When I was doing final editing on the map I did for Iquander (= Erik Mona), we briefly debated putting the street names on, but decided that the map would end up too cluttered.

And yes, the map that appears in Expedition to Greyhawk Ruins (and is also available as a download on the WotC site - or at least used to be), is an artistic (I think it looks good too) tracing of my original LGJ map. And I mean a precise tracing. Mike not only caught every building, but literally everything down to every single tree and fence post I had drawn on my original map. I was quite amazed. As such, it adds no new information at all (not even a shrub). It would have been nice, though, if WotC had actually bothered to acknowledge me as the original designer within the credits of that publication. It wasn't Erik's doing. He found out about it after the book was published. Erik was nice enough about it to send me a free copy, autographed by the three of them.

Denis, aka "Maldin", Cartographer of Greyhawk
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness.... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more! Including your City of Greyhawk center!

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
Thirded.

I picked up mine on eBay (along with all of the Living Greyhawk Journals) for my Age of Worms Campaign about 6 years ago now.

I got mine as a collection for like...$40 or so? I expect that with the map, #2 will go for quite a bit - but maybe not. Give eBay a try and lurk for it. It will come up, sooner or later.

jasonzavoda

First Post
Maldin's map has really become the only City of Greyhawk map for my personal campaign and reference.

I love how the roads meander instead of run straight as if put down with a ruler. The white outlines of buildings are suggestions rather than demands that are shaped, and squared and detailed in ways that might not suit my own designs. Greyhawk has always been, for me, a city that has grown over time, slowly absorbing the surrounding land as it expanded, and not constructed in one sitting so as to fit nicely into a box of crisscrossing streets and city blocks.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

There's also this, which I just discovered: Maldin's Greyhawk - The City of Greyhawk
I decided to combine Maldin's keyed locales with the official map from the 3E sourcebook. See the attached zip file for the result.

I created new keyed locales to represent the sections of the Grand Citadel, as well as "BE1" for Barge End and "FB1" for Far Bank.

Cheers!

KF

Attachments

• Free City of Greyhawk.zip
    3 MB · Views: 553

Maldin

First Post
And Matt, you're not going to find a map with all the street names on it, because such a creature does not exist.

Apologies for the thread necromancy, however when you return to the forums after a 7 year absence, one finds things that need updating. ;)
When Erik wrote that post, he was absolutely correct. However since then, I did create a street name map for the City of Greyhawk. The map includes all City of Greyhawk street names from official TSR/WotC modules and supplements set within the City, all CoG street names mentioned within E. Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue novels, all CoG street names published within Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine articles, as well as a few names from my personal campaign, and has over 110 streets, alleys and courts identified. Placing the locations from the Gord novels onto my map (which was based on the post-EGG City of Greyhawk boxed set) was particularly difficult, as there has never been a map showing their locations in EGG's version of the city, and it seems from Gary's narrative that he likely never had an actual detailed map in mind when he wrote the novels. I believe I've done a pretty good job of preserving their spatial relationships based on his narrative, and you should be able to follow Gord across the map as you read the stories (with a very few necessary linking streets not mentioned in the stories).

The map can be found on my website here: http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/cog-street-index.html

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Remove ads