Best superhero rogues gallery?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
The correct answer to any question which begins "which super hero has the best..." is always Spidey. ALWAYS! Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Scorpion, Kingpin, Rhino, Kraven, Electro. Also Punisher. And how could we forget the greatest of them all, J. Jonah Jameson.

X-Men have Magneto, Rogue, and Emma Frost. Both as members and enemies... Must make office Xmas parties awkward.

Before I sat down and watched Batman TAS* in lockdown (never saw it back in the day) I would NOT have put Batman in the running. But I really liked the series and I think the show did excellent character development for the villains.

Avengers have a few, but not many truly iconic ones. Kang is a stand out. Oh, that Thanos guy. But no others are coming to mind.

*An aside: did anyone else hate the change in art style that happened in Season 2 of B:TAS? I know I'm 30 years late to the party but it sucked.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Whomever made these works of art has upped the Avengers in my book. I wanted to say the X-Men.
1666577797713.png

1666577827499.png

Then I find this guy.
1666577919776.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
X-Men have Magneto, Rogue, and Emma Frost.
Dont forget Mystique and Dark Pheonix

then you have Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, Juggernaut, The Sentinels, Hellfire Club, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. But yeah not many iconic villains to rival Bats or Spideys rogues

Avengers - Loki, Thanos, Skrulls/Kree, Baron Zemo, Ultron, Kang, Scarlet Witch

Last edited:

then you have Apocalypse
" Good. Bad. Meaningless words used to describe lesser beings. I am he who was born to save the world. Will you join me?"

Before I sat down and watched Batman TAS* in lockdown (never saw it back in the day) I would NOT have put Batman in the running. But I really liked the series and I think the show did excellent character development for the villains.

*An aside: did anyone else hate the change in art style that happened in Season 2 of B:TAS? I know I'm 30 years late to the party but it sucked.
Do you mean the transition to The New Adventures of Batman and Robin when they really started tying into the other DC cartoons of the time?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Dont forget Mystique and Dark Pheonix

then you have Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, Juggernaut, The Sentinels, Hellfire Club, the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. But yeah not many iconic villains to rival Bats or Spideys rogues

Avengers - Loki, Thanos, Skrulls/Kree, Baron Zemo, Ultron, Kang, Scarlet Witch

Good list!

Ultron! I should have remembered Ultron. I'm aware of but have never actually read any of the stories in which Scarlet Witch turns villainous, so I forgot about her too.

I really think of Loki as a Thor rogue. Yes, I know he caused the formation of the Avengers and has occasionally been back to bother them. Zemo did lead the, what'd they call themselves, Masters of Evil? And was arguably the most successful incarnation of that bunch IIRC. But I think of him as a Cap villain. I don't consider either of them Avengers villains.

I think the issue is that groups (Avengers, Superfriends) that are made up of characters that have their own books tend to borrow villains from those individuals' books. So I think of the villains as belonging to the individual rather than the group.*

Whereas, groups like the X-men, pretty much always operate together and very few of them have their own books. (There is that very notable short, hairy exception.) So, for me, the X-men mostly have their own villains, even if they are tied more closely to one or other of the character's back stories; such as Sinister for Cyclops, Sabretooth for Wolverine, Juggernaut for Xavier.

Silly philosophising aside, also a good list of X-villains. Does Sinister get a lot of air-time anymore?

* A rare example of me favouring individual ownership over collective ownership of important resources.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Do you mean the transition to The New Adventures of Batman and Robin when they really started tying into the other DC cartoons of the time?

I don't think so... But being 30 years late to the party I'm not sure what was happening with other DC cartoons of time.

I'm referring to a major change in the art style within the B:TAS series itself. It lost most of the lovely noir shadows. All the characters got a makeover. Bruce Wayne's broken nose got fixed and, I think, he stopped wearing his brown, double-breasted suit. Batman (as opposed to Bruce Wayne) got a costume change too. Joker (in fact most of the villains) looked more cartoonish.

It was very disappointing. I stopped watching it for months, I hated the style change so much.

But I'm whinging about something that happened to a cartoon that went off the air some 30 years ago. Maybe I should get out more.

I don't think so... But being 30 years late to the party I'm not sure what was happening with other DC cartoons of time.

I'm referring to a major change in the art style within the B:TAS series itself. It lost most of the lovely noir shadows. All the characters got a makeover. Bruce Wayne's broken nose got fixed and, I think, he stopped wearing his brown, double-breasted suit. Batman (as opposed to Bruce Wayne) got a costume change too. Joker (in fact most of the villains) looked more cartoonish.

It was very disappointing. I stopped watching it for months, I hated the style change so much.

But I'm whinging about something that happened to a cartoon that went off the air some 30 years ago. Maybe I should get out more.
Joker at the start
joker_btas.png

Then in seasons 3 and 4, when the show retitled to The New Adventures of Batman and Robin (also when they revamped Bruce and did a crossover with Superman's cartoon)
joker_tnba_4.png

Then was the Joker during JL/JLU

joker_dcau_1.png

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Yeah, that's it. The change from the picture 1 to picture 2. Which was one part of the overall changes.

I liked JL. Different art style, obviously.

MGibster

Legend
I didn't hate it, but I noticed it, and at first I couldn't tell if there was a new Robin or if it was simply the change in art messing with me. Spoiler alert: It was a new Robin as Dick was Nightwing now.

I'm a bit biased as Batman and Spider-Man were the two comics I collected the most growing up. Batman: TAS did a lot of heavy lifting in regards to Batman's rogue's gallery and you can have a good story starring almost any one of them including Riddler. I'll have to give Batman the edge on this even though it pains me to do so.

Remove ads