D&D General Best VTT for the most players?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Surprised no has mentioned shmeppy.com which is a super barebones mapper. If you're just used to showing up to your face to face games with blank grid paper and some minis, you might like it. I think Roll20 is a phenomenal tool... but it's way too much for me and tempts me to spending huge amounts of time crafting the Ultimate Battle Map. Shmeppy doesn't do any of that, has simple drawing tools and simple tokens. I've onboarded folks with it in a matter of a minute... it's super easy to learn.

But, that might be its greatest weakness too -- it might actually be too simple.
Sometime all you want is a whiteboard. I wasn't aware of this one, thanks for tge heads up!

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I changed the bar and aura edit/visibility and show nameplate. After it didn't do anything I didn't change anything else.

View attachment 121505
Looks like your aura settings took and the nameplate tick took. Not sure why Bar 1 and Name didn't. I have my defaults set to show Bar 1, text visible to editors, and positioned overlapping bottom and every token I create inherits this. I still check, but that's me being anal.

R_J_K75

Legend
Looks like your aura settings took and the nameplate tick took. Not sure why Bar 1 and Name didn't. I have my defaults set to show Bar 1, text visible to editors, and positioned overlapping bottom and every token I create inherits this. I still check, but that's me being anal.

Yeah IDK, not that big of a deal. I suppose it could just be my browser or something else causing a glitch. I had to switch from using Microsoft Edge originally for Roll20 to having to switch to chrome a few weeks ago so to get my game to load so not much would surprise me.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yeah IDK, not that big of a deal. I suppose it could just be my browser or something else causing a glitch. I had to switch from using Microsoft Edge originally for Roll20 to having to switch to chrome a few weeks ago so to get my game to load so not much would surprise me.
Well, yeah, you shouldn't be using Edge for anything. ;D

(<--- required to use Edge for certain applications at work and hate it with passion)

R_J_K75

Legend
Im not exactly sure Im describing my problem correctly in Roll20 but here goes. I created a character and token for an NPC Guard and assigned it hp. I copied and pasted about 6 onto the page we were playing on. During the battle when I changed the hp in one token to try and track each tokens hp, it changed them in all the tokens. Anyone know why and how to fix it?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Im not exactly sure Im describing my problem correctly in Roll20 but here goes. I created a character and token for an NPC Guard and assigned it hp. I copied and pasted about 6 onto the page we were playing on. During the battle when I changed the hp in one token to try and track each tokens hp, it changed them in all the tokens. Anyone know why and how to fix it?
Remove the token from the character sheet.

Edit the token bar and change "hp" to "none". The numerical value will still apply for each token but no longer share with other tokens, which is causing the problem.

Link the selected token back to the character sheet. You should be good to go.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
To follow up on Jacob's response, if you have hp linked on a token, then that token directly reoresents the hp on the sheet. When you reduce the token's value, the sheet's value is also reduced, which then is reflected on all instances of the token. This is desired behavior for PC tokens, but not monster tokens. The trick is to not link hp, but just assign the starting values to the token.

When I set up a new token for a new entry, I'll first set box 1 to hp, which grabs the values, then set it back to none, which breaks the link but jeeps the values. It is an extra step.

I am 36 sessions into my first VTT campaign on roll20 and I love it - and dislike it a little too :)

Pros:
Simple ! Drag and drop maps, CharacterMancer is awesome, Players can see the map - even on a crapple mac. no player costs. automation for attacks via macros etc is awesome if you invest time in it.

Cons:
Dynamic lighting is being updated - badly as heck. My crapple mac user can sometimes see the whole map, even using Chrome (because who uses anything else right!?). I would make an insensitive joke about their implementation of dynamic lighting vs the A level debacle in the UK - but thats too bad taste ...
Visual effects are a touch weak -I can do fireballs etc and have them explode on screen. I can do thunder and lightning over the map, I can do smoke for my Cloudkill, but still the GFX are a little 20th century. HOWEVER -Roleplaying is brain first, screen second, so i dont really care. I still do the FX though :)
Costs , and this is NOT roll20's fault. I will buy the new DND campaign in TenTowns next month. I will likely buy it again for Roll20. Expensive.
BUT I do know know, this is my choice and it is actually a benefit of roll20. You can purchase DND master content for Roll20 and save yourself effort (love having the monster manual in it). Most other VTTs you have to craft it yourself. So , yes I have that opportunity and like it - and I still want to moan about having to pay circa 200% cost , because I am lazy and wont input the Frostmaiden campaign myself. hmm - I dont think this is a con :) .

TL:DR - Roll20 has my vote cos I love DND.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Visual effects are a touch weak -I can do fireballs etc and have them explode on screen. I can do thunder and lightning over the map, I can do smoke for my Cloudkill, but still the GFX are a little 20th century.

This is basically my problem with Roll20 - I feel like I'm working with a late-'90s version of Windows or a Frames-based website.

I think Astral has a better UI - it feels more like a modern video-gaming interface, and I mean that in a good way.

That said, my group uses Roll20 because it's the VTT everybody knew about or already had accounts with.

Whaddaya gonna do.

Last edited:

Remove ads