D&D General Best VTT for the most players?

R_J_K75

Legend
I think this is one of the trickier things to get right. I'm not sure there's a "proper" order. Some of the expert videos did it in a really finicky fashion (basically show the grid, and then kind of guess). So if my map has a built in grid I've just been turning the grid off for the page and then resizing until the scale gets close.

That's funny, expert videos, we just kind of guess until its about right. I found a lot of that went on when I was in college learning drafting programs. If you asked a question and got an answer that wasn't just figure it out 4 out of 10 times you were lucky. It was fun though watching the instructors sweat under the pressure. That's why I always respected that ones that had enough integrity to admit they had no idea what the answer was, and that made you think for yourself.

I think Im starting to get the hang of uploading images though.

eayres33

Explorer
In the game I'm a player in the DM decided to invest (money for the PHB and XG) and the time needed to learn the system. The maps are sharp and clean but rolling is clunky and we have went to discord for audio. Most use touch to talk so you miss the last part of what everyone says and no one sees each other or knows when someone is trying to talk.

For my game I just use Zoom. I have a phone on a tripod on mute to show the battle map which has worked well and habe the battle map pinned. Then my wife and I have our laptops(one is muted and we have a conference room mic). This way we have a board with minis plus we see each other and habe the closest to in person gaming experience.

cmad1977

Hero
API Scripts not familiar with them, what are they generally speaking?

I’m not super versed in the technical stuff but..
The scripts are basically lines of code that you run before you start your game(by clicking a button not by actually writing it yourself), that allow added functions.
The ones I have right now are a combat tracker that snaps to the character on their turn(helps keep things organized In large encounters), a “torch” function that lets my players use a macro that sets the light around them to a torch/lantern or dark vision, a group initiative function(grab a bunch of tokens and rolls initiative at once... actually having an issue with this one but when it works it’s super handy) and a patrol script which lets tokens on the map move along a path.

R_J_K75

Legend
I’m not super versed in the technical stuff but..
The scripts are basically lines of code that you run before you start your game(by clicking a button not by actually writing it yourself), that allow added functions.
The ones I have right now are a combat tracker that snaps to the character on their turn(helps keep things organized In large encounters), a “torch” function that lets my players use a macro that sets the light around them to a torch/lantern or dark vision, a group initiative function(grab a bunch of tokens and rolls initiative at once... actually having an issue with this one but when it works it’s super handy) and a patrol script which lets tokens on the map move along a path.

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like this could add alot to the game but I dont use the character sheets or combat tracker as of now. As I learn more and if we decide to continue using a VTT to game I may add more features. Right now Im just trying to get the hang of the basics, which is coming along steadily. It just took me quite a few hours today to really figure out tokens and image uploads and scaling which I think Ive got down. The program definitely doesnt act as youd expect it would but works as long as you have patience. One thing I couldnt get to work was that it didnt seem to do anything after I changed some of the global game settings but I suspect these may have to be changed at the start perhaps?

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like this could add alot to the game but I dont use the character sheets or combat tracker as of now. As I learn more and if we decide to continue using a VTT to game I may add more features. Right now Im just trying to get the hang of the basics, which is coming along steadily. It just took me quite a few hours today to really figure out tokens and image uploads and scaling which I think Ive got down. The program definitely doesnt act as youd expect it would but works as long as you have patience. One thing I couldnt get to work was that it didnt seem to do anything after I changed some of the global game settings but I suspect these may have to be changed at the start perhaps?
If you change some of the things in the settings like for example turning off the grid or the default page size then you have to click "save defaults" which appears at the bottom of that section.

If you just go to the bottom of the page and click 'save changes' and miss that you need to do that it does not, in fact, save changes.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
They apply to new maps/tokens.

There's an "experimental" feature that will apply defaults to existing tokens/sheets. This is in the VTT, so start your game, go to settings, and it's at the bottom. Pretty sure this is a subscription feature, as it's in with other sub features, but not sure. Been a sub for too long to remember. I've used this feature, and it does work, mostly.

Defaults also do not work on anything you transmogrify. Those keep the original settings.

R_J_K75

Legend
If you change some of the things in the settings like for example turning off the grid or the default page size then you have to click "save defaults" which appears at the bottom of that section.

If you just go to the bottom of the page and click 'save changes' and miss that you need to do that it does not, in fact, save changes.

Did that, rwo different times, didnt so a thing.

R_J_K75

Legend
They apply to new maps/tokens.

There's an "experimental" feature that will apply defaults to existing tokens/sheets. This is in the VTT, so start your game, go to settings, and it's at the bottom. Pretty sure this is a subscription feature, as it's in with other sub features, but not sure. Been a sub for too long to remember. I've used this feature, and it does work, mostly.

Defaults also do not work on anything you transmogrify. Those keep the original settings.

Transmogrify? Are you referring to anything I copy to a new game? I just googled it but not sure I fully understood.

I tried creating a token on an existing map after changing the global settings and the new defaults weren't applied. Im. Guessing changing game defaults isn't a paid feature as its not greyed out. Possible there's something Im doing wrong. Im going to pay for a subscription today and see if this makes any difference. I also plan to try out the fog of war today so a subscription should help.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Transmogrify? Are you referring to anything I copy to a new game? I just googled it but not sure I fully understood.

I tried creating a token on an existing map after changing the global settings and the new defaults weren't applied. Im. Guessing changing game defaults isn't a paid feature as its not greyed out. Possible there's something Im doing wrong. Im going to pay for a subscription today and see if this makes any difference. I also plan to try out the fog of war today so a subscription should help.
What did you set to default and what did you see?

R_J_K75

Legend
What did you set to default and what did you see?

I changed the bar and aura edit/visibility and show nameplate. After it didn't do anything I didn't change anything else.

1588166324457.png

Remove ads