D&D General Best VTT for the most players?

cmad1977

Hero
Thanks for the props. It works for now and maybe I'll figure out a better way to do it in the future. I'd like to understand the process better, like if X=Y then do "Z" to get the results you want, but OTOH Im not going to spend too much time on it.

To answer your question why it only zooms in so much on mine, I cropped the map to show only the Inner Sea region so that's probably why your seeing a difference.

When I started with Roll20 there were a lot of
“Well... it works for now” moments. Followed in later sessions by “A-Ha! It WORKS!”.

R_J_K75

Legend
When I started with Roll20 there were a lot of
“Well... it works for now” moments. Followed in later sessions by “A-Ha! It WORKS!”.

Ive watched bits ands pieces of a few tutorials but I don't find them all that helpful. It seems most tutorials or manuals for any product do a good job of telling you what to do step by step but necessarily why you are doing it and the result you should get. I end up usually trying things out a little at a time; A-HA!!, I figured it out!! This way I can digest and retain what I learned, then apply it in situations I'm trying to do and not just mimicking what the tutorial or book tells me.

R_J_K75

Legend
Regarding uploading images and setting up page settings in Roll20 does anyone know if it matters in what order you do it in? Should you upload the image then set up the page settings or vice versa?

Oofta

Legend
Regarding uploading images and setting up page settings in Roll20 does anyone know if it matters in what order you do it in? Should you upload the image then set up the page settings or vice versa?

While I'm still a novice, something I tried to do was calculate the page size based on the image. If you use the "unit" measurement 1 unit is 5 feet. On the map you're loading you can generally calculate how many feet the map is (include edges, calculate both horizontal and vertical). Size the page to the map you'll be uploading and then resize the uploaded image to the page.

Kind-a-sort-of works.

R_J_K75

Legend
While I'm still a novice, something I tried to do was calculate the page size based on the image. If you use the "unit" measurement 1 unit is 5 feet. On the map you're loading you can generally calculate how many feet the map is (include edges, calculate both horizontal and vertical). Size the page to the map you'll be uploading and then resize the uploaded image to the page.

Kind-a-sort-of works.

Im still learning this as well so take what I say with a grain of salt. The unit measure can be adjusted to whatever you want, and based on that if you upload your image to the map layer then right click choose advanced, align to grid it will allow you to resize the image to the page scale. Maybe we just said the same thing only differently, Im not sure. I think the key is to get the image uploaded "correctly" then modify things from there.

I thought I stated my reasons?
Not that I saw, sorry if I missed it.

I run a lot of “public” games and one of the issues that seem to come up is players would show up but be unable to use the DMs tech of choice or want to have tactical play when the DM wasn’t able to do for thier lack of tech.
Not sure what a 'public' game is. Do you mean you show up at a game store or convention with your tech and players just wander in and want to start playing? Do they have to have their own computers or do you provide? Or run West Marches or round-table or pick-up styles of games online and you post publicly in a non-vtt specific medium for anyone to show up and expect them to be able to play as is?

Depending upon what it is, my recommendation, or if it really even matters, is going to change.

Oofta

Legend
Im still learning this as well so take what I say with a grain of salt. The unit measure can be adjusted to whatever you want, and based on that if you upload your image to the map layer then right click choose advanced, align to grid it will allow you to resize the image to the page scale. Maybe we just said the same thing only differently, Im not sure. I think the key is to get the image uploaded "correctly" then modify things from there.

I think this is one of the trickier things to get right. I'm not sure there's a "proper" order. Some of the expert videos did it in a really finicky fashion (basically show the grid, and then kind of guess). So if my map has a built in grid I've just been turning the grid off for the page and then resizing until the scale gets close.

But I'm always open to suggestions. :)

cmad1977

Hero
Ive watched bits ands pieces of a few tutorials but I don't find them all that helpful. It seems most tutorials or manuals for any product do a good job of telling you what to do step by step but necessarily why you are doing it and the result you should get. I end up usually trying things out a little at a time; A-HA!!, I figured it out!! This way I can digest and retain what I learned, then apply it in situations I'm trying to do and not just mimicking what the tutorial or book tells me.

I found the basic tutorials online to be similarly unuselful( a few good tips here and there). I found the tutorials on people macros and API scripts very useful.

R_J_K75

Legend
Global settings. You can globally set token options so that any bewly created token inherits the global preferences. You do this in the game settings, not from inside the VTT. As for why the choices were made, Roll20 supports a large number of games and styles of play. I, frex, rarely have named tokens so it would be more painful to me to have names on by default.

Took me awhile but I just found it. Odd that you have to click to expand the options. I missed it the first few time I looked.

Remove ads