• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BIG DAMN HEROES - a d20 Firefly Campaign [OOC]

Festy_Dog

First Post
I've got a d20 future character in cold storage who I could thaw and carve up a little to fit into a Firefly game. I've seen Serenity, but haven't seen Firefly.

Watus, for abilities is it possible to use the Grid System and should it turn sour fall back on the 32pt buy? And (since wealth has been changed a bit) how would you like us to calculate wealth, roll for each level or use the book method for characters higher than lvl 1? Do characters start with 5 (or 6) + 1/2 lvl AP (8 or 9, depending on class)?

My concept is a primarily social/investigative character, with some combat abilities to otherwise make him useful. He worked as a particularly ruthless and effective counterintelligence operative on one of the central planets and was entrusted with hunting down a suspect individual who had fled to the rim planets. During the many months he was away the planet was struck with an unforseen economic catastrophe. The situation didn't take long to recover from but in the process both he and his quarry were accidently wiped from the Cortex and nobody realised. When he had secured the suspect and was about to return he discovered that neither of them were in the Cortex any longer, and that the guy was innocent of wrongdoing anyway. Initially he only did the counterintelligence job because he was good at it, but eventually he began to enjoy it. He hated himself for that, and the conflict was slowly killing him on the inside over the years he had been doing it. He saw his accidental removal from the Cortex as a lucky break, albeit somewhat late. He released the suspect, whom through much discussion he had become friends with, and decided to make a living on the rim planets as a kind of mercenary/private investigator. In truth he's largely apolitical, and his primary concerns usually revolve around his job and those he works with. Despite the horrible things he has done he's actually quite a nice guy, which could either be a redeeming feature or make him that much more detestable, depending on your point of view.

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Watus said:
I should have addressed this in the first post. I'll go back and fix that.

The game will begin in late May of 2517 in the Eavesdown Docks on Persephone - on the sixth anniversary of Unification Day.

So, we might as well start in an Alliance friendly bar just so we can throw someone through the fake glass window ;)

Hrm... I've got a character idea but I don't think it'll get up till tomorrow. Got a wedding to go to.

Lot

First Post
Feisty Dog,

I was thinking of making an Alliance character who was wrongfully accused for a crime and on the run. He's a techie electrical engineer type who can double as a mechanic. Would you be interested in him being your former quarry turned friend/technical advisor? Let me know.

Watus

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
I'm interested in making a character for this setting, how are you going to handle cybernetics, mutations, robotics and psionics?

None of the above. With the possible exception of psionics, but I've given myself until Monday to mull that over. In any case, I'd only allow one psionic PC - if any.

If you have a strong feeling about cybernetics, I might allow something light given a sufficient backstory. We're getting a little heavy on runaway Alliance-types, though, so that might be difficult. In any case, the campaign will take place at the Rim and while cybernetics and robotics may be more commonplace in the Core, out here the parts and expertise can be difficult to come by. They may both be more trouble than they're worth.

We're still very much in the conception phase here, though... I'm going to leave this phase open for a while to give as many people as are interested a chance to post a concept.

Shayuri

First Post
Here's a rough of the pilot... Started out in a family owned asteroid mining business, but got involved with the black market, and did some time smuggling for them. Then a run went bad, and she had to dump a cargo to abort and escape a blockaded world. The client didn't take kindly to that, and she retreated to the Rim to let things cool off. By this time she's realized that working for the criminal element has its dangers, and is looking to go straight before it's too late. Or at least straightER.

[sblock]Name: Melara Richter
Class/Level: Fast Hero 3/Ace Pilot 3- Criminal
Exp

Desc

Strength (STR) 12 (4)
Dexterity (DEX) 17 (10)
Constitution (CON) 14 (6)
Intelligence (INT) 14 (6)
Wisdom (WIS) 10 (2)
Charisma (CHA) 12 (4)

AC: 19
Hit Points: 39/39
Movement: 30'

Init: +3
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Melee Attack: +5
Ranged Attack: +7
Fort: +4
Reflex: +8
Will: +2

Class Abilities:
Talent: Evasion
Feat
Talent: Uncanny Dodge 1
Bonus Feats
Defender of the Universe (add Reputation (+2) whenever he spends an action point to modify an

attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw made aboard an atmospheric aircraft

or starship)

Skills: 28+7+7, +7+7+7
Drive (Dex) +15 (9 ranks +3 Dex +1 comp +2 feat)
Escape Artist (Dex) +8 (5 ranks + 3 Dex)
Knowledge (streetwise) (Int) +7 (5 ranks + 2 Int)
Pilot (Dex) +16 (9 ranks +3 Dex +4 feat)
Profession: Belter (Wis) +2 (2 ranks + 0 Wis)
Read/Write Language (none) 1 rank
Sleight of Hand (Dex) +9 (5 ranks +3 Dex +1 comp)
Speak Language (none) 1 rank

Disable Device +9 (7 ranks + 2 Int)
Bluff (Cha) +6 (5 ranks + 1 Cha)
Computer Use (Int) +5 (3 ranks + 2 Int)
Knowledge (technology) (Int) +7 (5 ranks +2 Int)
Navigate (Int) +9 (5 ranks + 2 Int + 2 Feat)
Repair (Int) +3 (1 rank +1 comp + 2 Int)

Feats:
OC Personal Firearms Proficiency
HW Surface Vehicle Ops: Hovercraft
1 Starship Operation
1 *reserved*
B Point Blank Shot
3 Spacer
B Starship Dodge
6 Vehicle Expert
B Starship Mobility

Languages - Common, Mandarin[/sblock]

Festy_Dog

First Post
Watus, you must have missed part of my post since there were a few questions in there. I'll repost them for conveniance. :)

For abilities is it possible to use the Grid System and should it turn sour fall back on the 32pt buy? And (since wealth has been changed a bit) how would you like us to calculate wealth, roll for each level or use the book method for characters higher than lvl 1? Do characters start with 5 (or 6) + 1/2 lvl AP (8 or 9, depending on class) or do you have another means of determining it?

Lot said:
I was thinking of making an Alliance character who was wrongfully accused for a crime and on the run. He's a techie electrical engineer type who can double as a mechanic. Would you be interested in him being your former quarry turned friend/technical advisor? Let me know.

Couldn't hurt, although if you didn't want him to have the Cortex Spectre trait don't feel as though you have to, I'm content to adjust my char's background to fit in with whatever works. Although like Watus was saying, there's a fair few Alliance characters so I may end up giving my character's background an overhaul and make him a Rim world dweller, depending on how things look.

ByteRynn

First Post
Cascius "Cash" Posey

[SBLOCK=Character Sheet]
Cascius “Cash” Posey
Small-world doctor-in-training
Dedicated 6 - Rural

Str 10 +0
Dex 17 +3 [lvl4 +1]
Con 10 +0
Int 14 +2
Wis 16 +3
Cha 10 +0

Init +3 (+3 Dex)
HD 6 + 5d6= 23
Def 17 (+3 Dex, +3 dedicated +1 Armor); Flat-footed 14; Touch 16
Spd 30

BAB +4 (+4 Dedicated)
Melee +4
Ranged +7

Attacks
Light Rifle +7 ranged (2d10, 120 ft., 6 Int)
-- +8 (2d10+1) w/i 30 ft. (Point-Blank Shot)
-- +10 (2d10+1) (Dead Aim)
-- +11 (2d10+1) w/I 30 ft. (Point-Blank plus Dead Aim)

Rifle Butt +5 melee (1d6+1)

Brawl +6 melee (1d6+1 nonlethal)

Fort +4 (+0 Con, +3 Dedicated, +1 Hardy)
Refl +4 (+3 Dex, +2 Dedicated, -1 Hardy)
Will +6 (+3 Wis, +3 Dedicated)

Occupation - Rural (ride, survival, personal firearms proficiency)
Home World – Three Hills (ride, survival, brawl)
Allegiance ?????
Reputation +2
Action Points 9

Traits
Hardy (+1 Fort, -1 Ref)
Honest (+1 diplomacy, -1 bluff, sense motive)
Reckless (+1 melee damage, -1 melee attack)

Skills 63 (63 Dedicated)
Bluff -1 (0 ranks, +0 Cha, -1 Trait)
Craft (Pharmaceutical) 9 (9 ranks, +2 Int, +2 Feat, -4 tools)
Diplomacy 1 (0 ranks, +0 Cha, +1 Trait)
Listen 12 (9 ranks, +3 Wis)
Profession (Medic) 12 (9 ranks, +3 Wis)
Ride 13 (9 ranks, +3 Dex, +1 Region)
Spot 12 (9 ranks, +3 Wis)
Sense Motive 2 (+3 Wis, -1 Trait)
Survival 14 (9 ranks, +3 Wis, +1 Occupation, +1 Region)
Treat Injury 19 (9 ranks, +3 Wis, +5 Talent, +2 Feat)
-- Surgery 15 (-4 Feat)
-- Restore Hit Points +2 (Talent)

Feats
Brawl
Dead Aim
Far Shot
Medical Expert
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Quick Reload
Simple Weapons Proficiency
Track

Abilities
Skill Emphasis (Treat Injury)
Healing Knack
Healing Touch I

Wealth - 2

Equipment
Light Undercover Shirt
Medical Kit
Surgery Kit
Ammo (.444)
Daypack
Casual Clothing
Overcoat
Binoculars (standard)
Compass[/SBLOCK]

Description
Cash is about 5’10” and 200 lbs. Though 29, his face makes him look a good 5 years younger than he is. His brown hair is frequently kept hidden by a brown stocking cap, and he is almost always in plaid flannel shirts and courderoy pants. In colder parts of the ‘Verse, he tends to wear a long black overcoat.

History
Cash grew up on Three Hills, dealing with the rough-and-tumble ranchers on this out of the way rim world. As he got older, he looked around and saw all the pain and misery that life represented and decided to do something about it, so he sent off to the core for a doctorin' corresponence course.

Over the years he learned a thing or two about doctorin' and takin' care of folk, all the while helpin' his neighbors with the ranchin' responsibilities.

Last year, the mayor's son got very well drunk and decided that he didn't like the way Cash was lookin' at him. Dumb boy decided to take a knife to Cash, and Cash, fightin' back, ended up sticking him on his own knife. Not so dumb as to realise this meant a world of trouble, Cash hid out in the hills until a transport came along, and he's snuck off world.

Cash hasn't quite got the hang of surgery, though, with a well stocked medlab, he can keep people well enough together. He spends lots of his free time reading medical journals and anatomy books, and he has picked up quite a few tricks in his experience. Whenever he can get his mail, he gets his correspondance lessons, and is still improving his craft as a doctor. His years keeping watch over flocks, protecting them from wolves (both animal and human), his skills with a rifle have become pretty good, so any crew would do well to pick him up, both as a hired gun, and as a medic.

Last edited:

Watus

First Post
Festy_Dog said:
Watus, you must have missed part of my post since there were a few questions in there. I'll repost them for conveniance. :)

For abilities is it possible to use the Grid System and should it turn sour fall back on the 32pt buy? And (since wealth has been changed a bit) how would you like us to calculate wealth, roll for each level or use the book method for characters higher than lvl 1? Do characters start with 5 (or 6) + 1/2 lvl AP (8 or 9, depending on class) or do you have another means of determining it?

Sorry about that. I had read your post, and even given it some thought, and then got distracted. That's the problem with weekends, I guess.

In any case, players should either roll or take the point buy. If you're feelin' lucky, roll, but if it doesn't work out, you should run with it. It doesn't seem fair to invalidate the risk others may be taking by providing an easy out.

As for wealth, I'll get into that tomorrow. We're off to the zoo today.

Remove ads