• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BIG DAMN HEROES - a d20 Firefly Campaign [OOC]

Watus

First Post
Lot: quick question: is Jon Baxter meant to be a candidate for ship's engineer, or do you see him as more of a specialized security expert?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Though Ghost as a psychic warrior in a previous incarnation, I think it makes sense for him to be a scary looking bad-*** in this game.

BTW: If you are looking for a way to classify ghost for the first post, "Brutal Bruiser" works. ;) Melee with ranged support (I plan on getting him some of those cunnin' grenades).

Rhun

First Post
I'm still working on my character, but I've opted to go in more of the soldier direction than the gunslinger direction...He'll charry a heavy assault rifle (like Vera?), and be able to hold his own in a brawl. I'm hoping to have him complete for submission tonight.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I looked at solider for Ghost, but it wasn't a good fit. No real good fits in the bunch except for some bits of daredevil (fearless). There is a nice AdvC in The Game Mechanic's Modern Player's Companions (The Enforcer) that focuses on Brawl with a Rage-like ability, but that's not available here AFAIK.

Shayuri

First Post
Charismatic for psi, hm? Interesting...

Only one sounds about right too. My vision of psionics for my character was always kind of supplementary. Pilot first, that is. The idea was of a pilot with a bit of a psychic "edge." Not a full blown master of the mental. At least not until muuuuuuuuuuch later.

It was also an RP device, leading to an exploration of a more introspective side to her nature.

It's not, however, strictly speaking -necessary- to the concept. So if anyone else feels they want it/need it to make their character work, I shall cede any claim to that 'slot' I may have to that person.

Lot

First Post
Watus said:
Lot: quick question: is Jon Baxter meant to be a candidate for ship's engineer, or do you see him as more of a specialized security expert?

Jon is meant as a candidate for engineer, as he's mechanically inclined and has a strong science background. I would like to make him a bit more versatile than someone like Kaley, though. The kind of guy who can fix the ship but also hotwire an electronic door and hack the computer to not send an alarm. I wanted to make a guy who made sense on the ship but also would accompany the crew on jobs when necessary. He was an naval officer, so he's useful for navigation and space communication, as well. I'm working on the stats and should have them posted tonight to give a better idea of what Jon's capable of doing. I saw him as a general science officer.

Watus

First Post
Starting Wealth and Action Points

I've made two additions to the first post. I'm repeating them here for your convenience:

Starting wealth will be 5 + Occupation Wealth Bonus + any Windfall bonuses + (1 for having 1 to 4 ranks in the Profession skill, or 2 for having 5 to 8 ranks in the Profession skill, or 3 for having 9 ranks in the Profession skill);

Characters will begin play with 9 Action Points;

Last edited:

Einan

First Post
If you're still accepting, I'd like to posit a character, iff'n that's shiny with you. Name's Larson Carruthers and I jes' happen to be the best durn scrounger you ever saw. If it's out there, I ken find it and if it's not out there, I ken find it anyway... for a price. I ken handle myself a weapon, as well, though I'm certain not as good as some others I might name.

OOC: I'm thinking a Charismatic Hero 4/Negoiator 2. Let me know if I shine.
Larson Carruthers, Useful Man
(Now statted with the proper stats and all.)
[sblock]
Larson Carruthers
Scrounger and Go To Guy
Charismatic 4 / Negotiator 2 - Scavenger

STR 10 (+0)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 14 (+2) (+1 for 4th level boost)
CHA 16 (+3)

Init +2 (+2 Dex)
HD 6 + 3d6 + 2d8 + 6 = 39
Def 14 (+2 Dex, +1 Cha, +1 Neg) Flat-footed 12; Touch 12
Spd 30

BAB +3 (+2 Cha, +1 Neg)
Melee +3
Ranged +5

Attacks
Rifle, Light +6 ranged (+7 within 45 ft and +1 to dmg) (2d10, 80 ft., 6 Int) “Fer swattin’ flies”
Shotgun, Pump Action +5 ranged (+6 within 45 ft and +1 to dmg)(2d10, 30 ft, 5 int) “Fer bigger pests”

Fort +5 (+1 Con, +2 Cha, +2 Neg)
Ref +4 (+2 Dex, +2 Chat, +0 Neg)
Will +6 (+2 Wis, +1 Chat, +3 Neg)

Occupation – Scavenger (Disable Device, Search, Spot, Wealth +2)
Home World – Saint Albans (Craft (Mechanical), Repair, Personal Firearms Proficiency)
Allegiance Self, Crew, Fortune
Reputation +4
Action Points 9

Skills 68 (32 + 24 Charismatic + 12 Negotiator)
Bluff (Cha) (6 ranks + 3 Cha) +9
Computer Use (Int) (2 ranks + 1 Int) +3
Craft (mechanical) (Int) (7 ranks + 1 Int) +8
Diplomacy (Cha) (6 ranks + 3 Cha +2 Trustworthy) +11
Gamble (Wis) (3 ranks + 2 Wis) +5
Gather Information (Cha) (7 ranks + 3 Cha +2 Trustworthy) +12
Knowledge (Technology) (Int) (6 ranks + 1 Int) +7
Listen (+2 Wis + 2 Alertness) +4
Profession (Wis) (Scavenger) (1 ranks + 2 Wis) +3
Read/Write Language (none) (1 rank)
Repair (Int) (9 ranks + 1 Int) +10
Search (Int) (9 ranks + 1 Int) +10
Sense Motive (Wis) (6 ranks + 2 Wis) +8
Spot (Wis) (4 ranks + 2 Wis + 2 Alertness) +8
Speak Language (none).(1 ranks)

Feats
Alertness
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Simple Weapons Proficiency
Point Blank Shot
Trustworthy
Far Shot
Dead Aim
Weapon Focus: Rifle

Abilities
Fast Talk
Dazzle
Conceal Motive
React First

Wealth - 8

Equipment
Long Rifle, cleaned and shiny
Pump Action Shotgun, slightly less reputable
Ammo
Old Leather Duster, with many, many pockets
Beaten down Stetson
Field Bag
Tool Kit
Tool belt
Scavengin' Tools

Description: Larson Carruthers is not a handsome man; his face has been subject to far too many violent moments and his nose is a bit skewed to one side. What he’s got is an infectious smile. People just seem to like him no matter who sort of hogwash he’s selling. When he thinks danger is threatenin’, he carries a shotgun and straps an old, well-oiled long rifle on his back. After all, honest fights are all well and good, but Larson prefers his enemies to be far away. Tied up. With a big ol’ target painted on their chest. Outside an airlock.

History
Larson was born on Saint Albans, a cold man in a cold land. His parents were farmers, trying to eke out a living on a cold world. When the War came, he spent two years as a rag picker, scavenging dead ships for parts to keep the Browncoats flying. After the War ended, well, he did a few odd jobs here and there, mainly just trying to keep fed and keep moving. He’s never known a life that wasn’t hard and he’s looking for that big chance to find a piece of gold and settle down to happiness. Until then, there’s always gold to be found for them as has the guts to look for it…

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ByteRynn

First Post
I updated Cash, added stats, and fleshed him out a bit.

I kept him straight-up Dedicated with no Combat Medic, but kept his treat injury abilities strong. I added a hunter sub-plot to his personality, so he's a prety fair shot with his rifle.

doghead

thotd
I was only looking at Psi as a way of mechanically representing the mind link between the twins. It wasn't a key component of the character. Having just had a look at the powers, it looks they could be handy to have around. But I wouldn't advocate using them unless Watus was happy to have them in the game. Not just willing to, but happy to.

Rhun, you still interested in going down the twins/siblings path? I think it would be kind of freaky having identical twins. Especially psi ones, although I don't think that they would let on about the psi stuff. It would be all hunches and intuition. Perhaps thats all they see it as anyways, given its not always reliable.

Watus, Profession is only really used for wealth I take it. Profession (mechanic) wouldn't allow someone to actually make something (like craft) or repair it (like repair). How strict is the Craft Repair distinction? If Helsinki makes something (craft), can she repair it without any ranks in Repair?

thotd

Remove ads