• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blades of Bushido: Legends of the Samurai (Full)

Kambei

First Post
Welcome to a land steeped in tradition and mystery. A land of flashing blades, resolute honor and vile betrayals. A land where wandering ronin prey on helpless travelers… or seek a return to honor. A land where lone samurai undertake suicide missions to satisfy honor. A land ruled by a thousand Gods but whose fate will be decided by steel.

A land of contrast: peaceful serenity and constant warfare, honor and betrayal. A land continually at war for centuries, where a martial ethos and devastating tactical prowess evolved that continue to shape modern combat philosophies to this day.

Japan, Land of the Rising Sun.

Hello, I would like to run a semi-historical game set in a Feudal Japan (Nippon). I will be using the excellent Legends of the Samurai rules. I will also be using Sengoku rule book for background information.

Interested players should have access to the Legends of the Samurai rules. Having Sengoku is not a requirement of to play. Players should also have an idea on how to run a character in a feudal Japanese game. Having watched the movie Seven Samurai and other movies of the genre is a big plus.

The game it self will be semi-historical and by that I mean there will be some occult and magical elements but they will not be common place. I will use history as a guideline and not a bible. People, places, and events will mirror but not necessarily follow history closely.

As to the type of game, I am still working on that but I would like to start with at least one player running a character that is in service with a clan. If someone wanted to run a masterless ronin or ninja, I have ideas on how to get them into the game as well. An all samurai game is not out of the question as well so don't worry about party balance as long as the characters are not total clones of each other.

Four or Five players would be great. If there is more than that I will pick who is in. I also keep the right to refuse a player on the grounds of maturity and knowledge. I will post character building guidelines and background once I have my players. Suggestions and questions about the game are welcome.

Domo arigato

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
It does sound interesting.

I have Sengoku. I used it for my own feudal japan homebrew games as well. But I don't have Legends of the Samurai. I had a look at the LotS site. At first glance I thought that the ninja class looked quite good. But there is only enough there for the basic character generation.

Kambei, I am interested, but don't really meet the requirements. I could do a ninja with a little help on equipment. Alternatively, I am quite happy to play a character drawn up by someone else. A basic samurai would be fun. Actually, I quite enjoy playing characters generated by others.

Anyway, there's the pitch.

thotd

Kambei

First Post
doghead said:
It does sound interesting.

I have Sengoku. I used it for my own feudal japan homebrew games as well. But I don't have Legends of the Samurai. I had a look at the LotS site. At first glance I thought that the ninja class looked quite good. But there is only enough there for the basic character generation.

Kambei, I am interested, but don't really meet the requirements. I could do a ninja with a little help on equipment. Alternatively, I am quite happy to play a character drawn up by someone else. A basic samurai would be fun. Actually, I quite enjoy playing characters generated by others.

Anyway, there's the pitch.

thotd

Hey doghead,

I guess I would be willing to help you make your character if you would give me some ideas on what kind that you wanted.

doghead

thotd
My first choice would be a straight up samurai. Serious about honour, a little stiff perhaps. A swordsman. Battle scarred and perhaps a little battle weary. Quiet. But quietly passionate about calligraphy, zen gardens and thunderstorms.

I have the basic material for a ninja. They look quite interesting, particularly when they get to use their Ki. But I think I would have a lot more questions if I took a ninja. Not so much about the mechanics, but about why he is there, and what he is doing, and for whom. All of which could be most interesting to play out. But with ninja's, like rogues, there is always the problem of which skills to take. It fair does my head in every time.

thotd

WargamerX

First Post
I love the semi-historicals.

I'm in, if you'll have me.

I'm thinking of a disillusioned masterless ronin. the kind who...

... prey on helpless travelers…

I do not have LotS, but can look into getting it if needed.

Remove ads