• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blades of Bushido: Legends of the Samurai (Full)

Kambei

First Post
Here are the character creation rules.

1. 3rd Level
2. Max Hit Points at 1st Level and one half after that.
3. Starting money per Bloodline
4. 28 point Ability build

Is there anything that I forgot?

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Hey Kambei

I'm quite happy to build my character around what the others do. But off the top of my head, I would go with a fairly conventional bushido warrior and loyal retainer. If his lord is an honourable person, great. If not, well that could be even better.

Actually, perhaps he could be a she - Masayo aka 'Masa'. OK, not so conventional then.

Not sure what the skills are for a samurai, but perhaps a little intimidate (for keeping the boys in line) if its a class skill. Stats something like STR 12, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 12. Which is pretty much what my fighters usually look like. Which is to say, feel free to build me something different. I quite enjoy playing characters generated by another.

thotd

Bobitron

Explorer
I'm running a Legends of the Samurai game here where all the PC's are fourth level samurai. All the rules for samurai creation can be found there in the thread titled "Character Creation and Rules" (who would have thought?). That should have everything you need to get a samurai made, as well as some explainations of the Honor rules, new feats, and other dope stuff.

The Legends of the Samurai Bushido Handbook is awesome. I highly recommend it. Cheap, too.

I'm still considering what to play, but I'm leaning towards a kuge. I'll add more ideas as I come across them.

Thanks for running this game and the invitation to play, Kambei. :D

Bobitron

Explorer
A couple questions. Should we roll for starting honor or just take the maximum? Also, should starting wealth be that of a first level character, or increased due to starting at fourth level? I've found that first level wealth is pretty good, as there are no magical items to purchase. :D

Kambei

First Post
Bobitron said:
A couple questions. Should we roll for starting honor or just take the maximum? Also, should starting wealth be that of a first level character, or increased due to starting at fourth level? I've found that first level wealth is pretty good, as there are no magical items to purchase. :D

Maximum starting Honor sounds fine. The starting wealth for 1st level is what I wanted as well.

Bobitron

Explorer
Pretty much done. I still need to add up how much I spent on equipment and go over skills with a fine-toothed comb. I can re-work the history to include any sort of plot hook you might need, Kambei.

Ishimaru Taiki

Background:
Third son of the Ishimaru clan, Taiki never had the same burden his two older brothers bore. While his eldest was the heir and his second brother the second in line, Taiki was largely ignored by his father. He spent his childhood in the same manner as his brothers, but while they were rewarded for success and punished for failure, his training was deemed unimportant. Many of his days were spent at court, where he became an excellent collector of rumours and secrets. His friendly manner and outgoing personality allowed him to make fast friends of many who would keep information from the Ishimaru and, in turn, the Emperor. His reputation and honor grew, and he became too confident in his ability, speaking where he should not of the clan’s intentions. When his loose lips cost the clan an important business deal, his father decided the honey-tongued youth should be put to use away from court. He was sent to command a small unit of cavalry specializing in scouting the borders of the clan’s holdings. He found a true calling as a mounted archer, where his small frame and weak arms mattered little. His skill as a horseman is immense for one of his young age, and he has an excellent reputation as a marksman. Two years of fighting masterless warriors in the highlands have given him a more serious outlook on life, and his father determined it was time for him to return to court.

Appearance:
Taiki is a small man, with the wiry limbs of one accustomed to life atop a horse. He considers his appearance a matter of honor and is seldom seen with a ruffled or unkempt appearance. He carries his bow at all times, even in court. While this has caused a few raised eyebrows, his service to his clan has proven him as a warrior as well as a diplomat, and very few men his age would challenge him to a contest of archery. He keeps his hair carefully folded into a single string atop his head, and one who pays close attention to his actions might find him checking its position with his hand every few moments when he thinks nobody is looking.

About this character:
Taiki is a friendly man, willing to speak as equals with others, even those not of the more noble bloodlines. He has a way of making fast friends with total strangers, building quick confidences and swaying moods with ease. He has found himself easily duped in the past, however; he does not deal well with one who has the same talent he does. He finds it difficult to detect when others are being less than forthright. In battle, Taiki stays mounted as often as possible, taking advantage of his ability in the saddle and with the bow.

Height: 5’6”
Weight: 120
Hair: black
Eyes: black
Class: Kuge of the Noble bloodline
Level: 3rd
Starting Honor: 63
Starting Wealth: 2000 Toraisen

Statistics:

STR: 8 (-1, costs 2, -2 bloodline)
DEX: 16 (+3, costs 8)
CON: 8 (-1, costs 2, -2 bloodline)
INT: 14 (+2, costs 4, +2 bloodline)
WIS: 10 (+0, costs 2)
CHA: 16 (+3, costs 6, +2 bloodline)

Hit Points: 13 (7+3+3)

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +3 (base +3, CON -1)
Reflex: +4 (base +1, DEX +3)
Will: +3 (base +3, WIS +0)

Armor Class: 21, 23 mounted (Base 10 + 5 armor + 3 Dex + 3 Cha from Banter feat)

Base Attack Bonus: +2

Weapons/attacks:
Daikyu +7 (Damage: 1d8 Crit: x3 Range: 110 ft, +2 to hit against armored opponents)
Himo-gatana +1 (Damage: 1d4 Crit: 19-20/x4 Range: 10 ft)
Yari +1 (Damage: 1d8 Crit: x3 Range: 20 ft)

Skills:
Skill points- 36 (24+6+6)
Appraise +2
Balance +3
Bluff* +12 (5 ranks, +3 Cha, +2 Bloodline, +2 Persuasive feat)
Climb -1
Concentration -1
Craft +2
Decipher Script +2
Diplomacy* +8 (3 ranks, +3 Cha, +2 Bloodline)
Disguise +3
Escape Artist +3
Forgery +2
Gather Information*+11 (6 ranks, +3 Cha, +2 Bloodline)
Handle Animal* +7 (1 rank, +3 Cha, +3 Born to the Saddle ability, only applies to horses)
Heal +0
Hide +3
Intimidate* +8 (3 ranks, +3 Cha, +2 Persuasive feat)
Jump -1
Knowledge (law)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (nobility and royalty)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (politics)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (tactics)* +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)
Listen +0
Move Silently +3
Perform (flower arranging)*
Perform (Tea Ceremony)*
Ride* +12 (6 ranks, +3 Dex, +3 Born to the Saddle ability, only applies to horses)
Search +2
Sense Motive* +2 (2 ranks)
Spot +0
Survival* +0
Swim -1

Feats and class abilities:
Jobajutsu Martial Arts Style (starting feat, +2 AC when mounted, also applies to mount)
Persuasive (Bloodline feat, +2 on Bluff and Intimidate checks)
Mounted Combat (1st level Kuge feat, Ride check result becomes the mount’s Armor Class if it’s higher than the mount’s regular AC)
Weapon Focus- Bow (2nd level Kuge feat, +1 to attack with bow)
Banter (3rd level feat, add Cha bonus to AC)
Mounted Archery (3rd level Kuge feat, penalty you take when using a ranged weapon while mounted is halved: -2 instead of -4 if your mount is taking a double move, and -4 instead of -8 if your mount is running)

Bloodline Abilities
Court education: A noble receives a bonus feat from the following list: Deceitful, Diligent, Educated, Mounted Combat, Negotiator, Persuasive, Skill Focus, Weapon Focus (any bow), Weapon Proficiency (bows).
Intrigues and machinations: The noble gains a +2 bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Information skill checks.
Imperial sage: Nobles gain a +1 bonus to their starting wealth roll for each rank they possess in a Knowledge skill.
Majesty of Learning: Nobles gain +1 Honor for each rank they possess in a Knowledge skill (a character normally gains +1 honor per 2 ranks in certain specializations).
Literacy: Nobles can read and write all the languages they speak at 1st level.
Starting Wealth: You begin play with 3d6 times your honor in starting Toraisen. The minimum starting wealth for a noble is 123 Toraisen (3 x 41); the average starting wealth for a noble is 495 Toraisen (11 x 45); and the maximum starting wealth for a noble is 900 Toraisen (18 x 50).
Starting Honor: 41-50
Social Privileges: Nobles are allowed to learn the use of any weapon and may carry swords freely (though they may not wear the daisho—the twin katana and wakizashi of the warrior class). A noble can gain a post in the capital paying 1 Koku per 5 Honor in yearly salary.
Abilities: +2 Int and +2 Cha, -2 Str and –2 Con. You are educated and trained in the arts of diplomacy but your sedentary lifestyle puts you at a disadvantage in combat.

Equipment:
Do-maru medium armor, masterwork
Yari
Himo-gatana x2, kept tucked into sleeves
Daikyu, masterwork, with covered quiver and 50 pointed arrows, additional quiver on mount with another 30 pointed arrows, 10 fire arrows, 2 whistling arrows, and 8 pear head arrows
Backpack
-50 feet silk rope
-bedroll
-winter blanket
-flint and steel
-inkpen and ink
-scrollcase with 10 sheets of parchment
-four torches
-four days trail rations
Waterskin
Saddlebags
-four changes of clothing, noble’s outfit
-tent
-pound of soap

Light Warhorse
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural, +2 leather barding), touch 10, flat-footed 13, additional +2 when mounted
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+9
Attack: Hoof +4 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +4 melee (1d4+3) and bite -1 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Endurance, Run

The warhorse can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check. A light load for a light warhorse is up to 230 pounds; a medium load, 231-460 pounds; and a heavy load, 461-690 pounds. A light warhorse can drag 3,450 pounds.

Last edited:

kingpaul

First Post
No more characters allowed? I just saw this thread. I'd like to play a Kenza if its still allowable. I was one of the playtesters, but I GM'd, so didn't get to play. :)

WargamerX

First Post
My Ronin. I gave him a backstory that will hopefully help with integrating him into a party including Samurai with little trouble. Pls check his stats and let me know if you are OK with them. The LotS throws a lot of special feats into character generation, and adding the normal two at character creation and one at third level really buffs out a character. I also knew where I wanted to go with Miharu (the Kensai from 1st Edition OA). Pls let me know if there are problems and I will readjust. Thanks!

Fujiwara Miharu
Ronin/3
Buke Bloodline
Honor: 60

Representing WargamerX

Strength 14 (+2)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 10
Charisma 14 (+2)

Male
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 130 lb
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Skin: Tan

Total Hit Points: 19

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 14 (10 + 2 Dex Bonus + 2 Banter Charisma Bonus)

Touch AC: 14
Flat-footed: 10

Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: +4 = 3 [base] +1 [constitution]
Reflex save: +5 = 3 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save: +1 = 1 [base]
Attack (unarmed): +5 = 3 [base] +2 [strength] (1d3+2 subdural)
Attack (melee): +5 = 3 [base] +2 [strength]

Attack (Ranged)): +1 = 3 [base] +2 [dexterity] -4 [nonproficiency]

Grapple check: +5 = 3 [base] +2 [strength]

Light load:58 lb. or less
Medium load:59-116 lb.
Heavy load:117-175 lb.
Lift over head:175 lb.
Lift off ground:350 lb.
Push or drag:875 lb.

Languages:
Japanese

Feats:

Wpn Proficiency (sword) {Bloodline feat}
+1 Atk w/sword {Bloodline feat}
Steel gaze (+2 Intimidate checks) {Bloodline feat}
Literacy
Wpn Focus Katana (+1 Atk) {Class feature}
Wpn Proficiency (knives, spear, staves) {Class feature}
Combat Style: Nito-Kenjutsu
Kenjutsu (+1 Atk & +1 damage w/ Katana) {Class feature, 2nd level}
Banter (AC bonus = Charisma bonus) {Class feature}
Two Weapon Fighting (penalty for two weapon fighting reduced by two) {Initial feat}
Ambidexterity (second weapon penalty reduced by two) {Initial feat}
Nito-Ryu Kenjutsu (no remaining two weapon penalty for Katana and Wakiashi) {level three feat}

Class Skills:

Appraise
Balance (from Kenjutsu feat)
Bluff
Climb
Concentration (from Kenjutsu feat)
Diplomacy
Hide
Intimidate
Jump
Listen
Move Silently
Spot
Survival
Swim

Skill Name Key/Ability Skill/Ranks/Misc. Modifier
Appraise Int 1 = 0 +1
Balance Dex 2 = +2 0
Bluff Cha 7 = +2 +5
Climb Str 3 = +2 +1
Concentration Con 4 = +1 +3
Diplomacy Cha 5 = +2 +3
Hide Dex 5 = +2 +3
Intimidate Cha 7 = +2 +3 +2 {Bloodline feat}
Jump Str 3 = +2 +1
Listen Wis 1 = 0 +1
Move Silently Dex 3 = +2 +1
Spot Wis 1 = 0 +1
Survival Wis 1 = 0 +1
Swim Str 3 = +2 +1

Class HP assigned by DM
Level 1: 8 + 1 [Con]
Level 2: 4 + 1 [Con]
Level 3: 4 + 1 [Con]

Fujiwara's Equipment: Travelling robes, satchel with writing materials, sharpening stone, shaving knife. comb, some rations and snares

Katana Total attack bonus: +8, no penalty for two handed fighting
(damage 1d10+1, crit. 19-20/x2, 4lbs, slashing)

Wakiashi: Total attack bonus: +5, no penalty for two handed fighting
(damage 1d8, crit. 19-20/x2, 3lbs, slashing)

More about Miharu:

Appearance: Fujiwara goes to pains to make himself appear as orderly and "samurai"-like as possible. He keeps his shoulder length jet black hair combed and in traditional samurai topnot, his clothing neat and dusted. The cold and meriless look in his deep brown eyes demonstrates to all who meet him that this is a driven and dangerous young man.

Personality: Fujiwara is driven to return the honor to his family name and return to the ranks of the samurai. He may not show it to a potential new Lord, but he will eagerly pursue any oppurtunity to advance himself to find favor. The only thing that will drive him harder is the reckoning he prays to one day have with his older brother.

Background: The Fujiwara were an old family of samurai, until Miharu's elder brother Yomu betrayed their lord to enemies. While Yomu was rewarded with a position of honor with his new Lord, the Fujiwara Lord was killed and the Fujiwara family was disgraced. Miharu's mother died in the betrayal and his father committed sepuku. Miharu, not yet 22 (and a fully invested samurai), swore vengence on his brother, his brother's new master, and to return his family to a postion of honor. The only way that Miharu saw to do this was to become death with a sword, prefecting the art of Kenjutsu, and cutting his way to his goal. He has lived two yeras now, on his own, as a Ronin. Some of his actions have been less than the pinnicle of morality (such as preying upon travelling merchants), yet Miharu lives by his own sense of honor and is highly regarded for both this and his swordplay in many quarters.

Opinion on the Growing Trouble: Miharu sees the growing conflict in Japan as an oppurtunity for advancement, with the faint hope that somewhere in the bitter flmaes of war, he will find his brother and brother's master and finnally have his revenge.

Remove ads