Blue eye samurai

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm part way through it and loving it. I like the characters, they are nuanced and flawed and changable. And the protagonist has some less-than-likable attributes, a rarity in many shows that just want instant empathy.

Thinking back to the first episode, I could not have predicted where we are now, yet it all flowed together well.

And loving the animation of the fight sequences.

If I had a complaint, there are a few coincidences that strain a bit.

(Pleasantly request using spoiler tags if needed.)

Richards

Legend
Holy crap - I'm not much of an anime fan, having so far only watched Ultraman (only because I was a fan of the original, live-action series as a kid), Chainsaw Man (the premise sounded interesting), Gamera Rebirth (I've been a kaiju fan since I was little), and the movies Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke, the movies at the insistence of my grown son Logan who assured me they were worth it (and he was correct). I have a low tolerance for what I consider the "goofiness" of oversized eyes and teeny-tiny mouths (the Gamera anime was somewhat painful for me to watch as a result), so my grown sons and nephew all know I generally won't join them in their nightly anime watching. But they rotate between the three of them as to whose turn it is to pick the next series, and when I read about Blue Eye Samurai in this very thread it sounded like something I'd be interested in, as I'm a big fan of samurai movies.

So, when my nephew's current anime of choice had ended, I asked if I could insert myself into their rotation with Blue Eye Samurai, and tonight we watched the first episode. It blew us all away, and has already become my favorite anime of all time. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, and am slightly chafing at my nephew's insistence that we only watch one episode a night. (He's a stickler for rules, that one.) But it sounds like once we're done with this, and the other three have each had a turn selecting their own shows, I might have to check out this Arcane that's been mentioned twice now....

In any case, thanks, @wicked cool, for bringing this to my attention!

Johnathan

Started watching it just for background noise while i worked. Turned out to be really good and ended up doing a lot less work than I should have. I'm looking forward to the second season.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Blue Eye Samurai is a French/US production. So, yes it's anime but it's not necessarily going to be as beholden to anime tropes as Japanese anime might be.

It is very much on my to-watch list.

@Richards, Arcane is an excellent show. Well worth the watching.

Remove ads