Blue eye samurai

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@Richards , Arcane was surprisingly good - I held off because of the League of Legends connection I had assumed (wrongly) that it was targeted at fans of that and I would need knowledge going into it. I was wrong, it was quite good.

As for Blue Eyed Samurai being anime, there re some fantastic shows that channel the spirit of anime but purists do not consider. Avatar: The Last Airbender is the ur-example for me. There's a good number of French shows as well. So yes, understand the technical definition, but don't let that deter you from making comparisons and forming opinions on how you see it. Anime as a term has already widened from Japanese to Asian, including China, Korea and others. Who knows if as a term it will eventually morph to the style as opposed to the geographic location of the studios.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
As If Eye Roll GIF by MOODMAN

Waterbizkit

Explorer
Excellent show, I enjoyed everything from start to finish.

I don't get the Mary Sue comments. The protagonist is a flawed individual and we see her fail on more than one occasion, so I don't see how that could apply.

Anyway, not looking for a debate, just wanted to say I really liked the show and hope to see more down the road.

Richards

Legend
Okay, my sons and I finished Arcane tonight, and our joint assessment is in: it was indeed very good - but it was no Blue Eye Samurai.

I think for me, a big part of it was the setting: I'm a much bigger samurai fan than I am a steampunk fan. Also, I couldn't stand Mylo from the get-go: his hair was too "anime" style" for my taste. (Vi's was pretty close there, too. Again, not an anime guy.) I did like their heavyset guy with the goggles - he reminded me of what Doc Ock might have looked like as a kid. But so much of the plotline was confusing and so much of the background was left unexplained. I had to go to Wikipedia to figure out just what Heimerdinger was supposed to be, and I'm still not up on the bat people or the "robot cricket" Counselor...anyway, we all liked it, and agreed it was very stylish, but we liked Blue Eye Samurai much better.

Unfortunately, without getting into details, much of what we enjoyed in season one of Blue Eye Samuari seems like it might need to be missing in season two by necessity (how's that for a generic, spoiler-free statement?), just based on where the plot ended up taking us. So that's got us a bit worried. And I haven't heard any target dates for season two yet, whereas Arcane (first season from 2021) is apparently getting a second season this year, so I guess I shouldn't expect a season two of Blue Eye Samurai until...2026? If so, bummer!

Johnathan

Ryujin

Legend
Okay, my sons and I finished Arcane tonight, and our joint assessment is in: it was indeed very good - but it was no Blue Eye Samurai.

I think for me, a big part of it was the setting: I'm a much bigger samurai fan than I am a steampunk fan. Also, I couldn't stand Mylo from the get-go: his hair was too "anime" style" for my taste. (Vi's was pretty close there, too. Again, not an anime guy.) I did like their heavyset guy with the goggles - he reminded me of what Doc Ock might have looked like as a kid. But so much of the plotline was confusing and so much of the background was left unexplained. I had to go to Wikipedia to figure out just what Heimerdinger was supposed to be, and I'm still not up on the bat people or the "robot cricket" Counselor...anyway, we all liked it, and agreed it was very stylish, but we liked Blue Eye Samurai much better.

Unfortunately, without getting into details, much of what we enjoyed in season one of Blue Eye Samuari seems like it might need to be missing in season two by necessity (how's that for a generic, spoiler-free statement?), just based on where the plot ended up taking us. So that's got us a bit worried. And I haven't heard any target dates for season two yet, whereas Arcane (first season from 2021) is apparently getting a second season this year, so I guess I shouldn't expect a season two of Blue Eye Samurai until...2026? If so, bummer!

Johnathan
I think that the outcast elements will at least remain, in much the same way they existed in
the original "Kung Fu" series from the 1970s.

Remove ads