• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Book of Artifacts table of contents posted

Wik

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I'd actually love to put together another one of these books, focusing specifically on artifacts from myth and faerie tale: Baba Yaga's hut, Excalibur, Aladdin's lamp, the spinning wheel from Sleeping Beauty, etc.

No idea if there'd be enough of a market for it, but it's definitely an idea I've tossed around. Maybe if ToA sells well, I can talk to Bill and Clark about doing a "themed" sequel like this.

Oh, now THAT would be cool. I'm not so interested in standbys like Excalibur, but things like Stonehenge, the Terracotta Warriors, The Holy Grail, and... geez, the list goes on and on. Yeah, if you ever make that one, lemme know, and I'll buy copy #1.

der_kluge said:
Given how much I enjoyed the old TSR book of Artifacts, I'll definitely be adding this to my wish-list.

Indeed, I've always felt that the Book of Artifacts was one of the best hardcovers ever released for 2E. (It's why I wanted Zeb for the foreword, and why I was delighted when he agreed.) If this one is received by most people even half as well, I'll be more than satisfied. :)

Xyanthon

First Post
This looks like something I'd be very interested in. I've always been a fan of artifact level magic items even if I rarely use them directly in game.

I posted the following on the Necro site; figured I'd put it up here as well, for those who are curious.

A few words on our authors:

Anthony Pryor: Anthony's been in the biz for years, and did a lot of work for TSR in the pre-WotC days. More recently, you'll be familiar with his work as a writer and developer for the Scarred Lands setting, and an editor for Necromancer. He's got some work coming up for WotC.

C. Robert Cargill: One of the book's newcomers, he's the only person on the team with no prior RPG publishing credits. That doesn't mean nobody's seen his work before. Any of you who read the movie reviews at Aint It Cool News may know him as "Massawyrm."

C.A. Suleiman: Well known for his work on the World of Darkness, as well as lots of D20 material and some recent and upcoming WotC releases, C.A. is also my partner in Lion's Den Press.

George Holochwost: This will be George's first D20 publication credit, but he has past and upcoming work for Exalted and Vampire: The Requiem.

Keith Baker: I think most of you know Keith. ;)

Khaldoun Khelil: Khaldoun's only prior D20 credit is a PDF for Lion's Den Press, but he's written for both the old and new versions of the World of Darkness.

Michael Gill: Mike was a prolific writer for the Scarred Lands line, and he, too, has contributed to Lion's Den Press.

Patrick Lawinger: One of Necromancer's best and most prolific writers. If you don't know him, what are you doing on these boards? ;)

Rhiannon Louve: Rhiannon got started writing on the Scarred Lands line, and has some upcoming credits with WotC.

Rich Burlew: Although Rich has done some work for WotC, you're most likely to know him for his online D&D comic, "The Order of the Stick."

Hellcow

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Keith's a freelancer. He does most of his work for WotC, because of Eberron (and hey, because they pay better), but anything he wants to work on elsewhere (and has time for), he can do.
Like, oh, say, Classic Fey for Lion's Den. ;)

Voadam

Legend
Heh, I thought from the initial posters comment about MI compendium and the list of authors that this was a WotC book as well. So it is from Necromancer which means the pdf will be non-DRM, very good.

Voadam said:
Heh, I thought from the initial posters comment about MI compendium and the list of authors that this was a WotC book as well. So it is from Necromancer which means the pdf will be non-DRM, very good.

I love working with WotC, but I'm actually glad this book was through Necromancer. It allowed us to do a whole bunch of new material, and one or two of the artifacts--particularly the Lamentation Engine--are probably darker than WotC would have wanted. ;)

That said, if WotC wants to do a book of artifacts in the future, perhaps giving similar treatment to the D&D classics, I'd be all over it.

(And besides, there was one artifact I really wanted to include in ToA that I couldn't, because it requires the use of beholders, which aren't open content...)

Quickleaf

Legend
I'd actually love to put together another one of these books, focusing specifically on artifacts from myth and faerie tale: Baba Yaga's hut, Excalibur, Aladdin's lamp, the spinning wheel from Sleeping Beauty, etc.
Now that I could get behind. It would be neat if you expanded it to include famous literary artifacts in addition to ones from myth and faerie tale.

As for the upcoming book, I'll definitely thumb through it at my FLGS.

Remove ads