• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Breaking down the Fighter archetypes.

Minsc

Explorer
If you were to summarize the fighter archetypes, what would you say? I'm trying to keep it short and sweet. Let me know how I did, and let me know your opinions.

1) Champion. The easy, no fuss option. Better critical hits, which means more damage.

2) Battlemaster. The leader, the guy who can beat enemies with special maneuvers in addition to his regular attacks.

3) Eldritch Knight. The guy who can pull out some magic tricks in addition to his usual fighting prowess. They make great tanks with the Shield spell.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Champions hit things hard and often. If you're looking to maximize your damage output and wallop things without fiddling with the mechanics much, be a Champion. Your typical dragon-slaying knight is a Champion.

Battlemasters are tacticians. They move things around, offer bonuses, and manipulate the battlefield. If you want to make choices every round about where best to apply your resources, be a Battlemaster. Your typical commander or general is a Battlemaster.

Eldritch Knights combine magic with equipment. They use abjurations and evocations to enhance their attacks and defenses. If you want to blast enemies with fire, conjure magical shields, and hit them with swords while enduring their attacks without breaking na sweat, be an Edirtch Knight. An archetypal Edritch Knight is an elven knight, powered with arcane energy and great martial prowess.

DMCF

First Post
Champion - boring epeen waxer
Battlemaster - worth playing
Eldritch Knight - sh*tty wizard

That's how I do it!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Champion: "I hit it with my weapon. I hit it with my weapon. I hit it with my weapon. I hit it..."
Battlemaster: "I use a cool maneuver! And next round, I use another! Then I hit it with my weapon. I hit it with my weapon. I hit it..."
Eldritch Knight: "I hit it with my weapon. I use Shield to block! Next round, Fireball! ...then I'm out of spells, so I hit it with my weapon..."

As you might be able to tell, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about a class that, invariably, must resort to the simplest and least interesting mechanical component of the game because its resources deplete so quickly.

PnPgamer

Explorer
I think champion is the base for all crit builds, i have been fiddling with the math behind it. Not interesting on its own but has really good multiclassing shenanigans behind it.
Battle master is pretty powerful, he can do all sorts of nifty special things. However regarding to build synergies it loses its way.
Eldritch kncight on the other hand functions really well as mono or multiclassing.

Prism

Explorer
There is a little bit more to the champion than just improved criticals. I would say that it makes a difference that rarely that it doesn't really define the character in combat (maybe by 15th level when it increases again)

Remarkable athlete can be pretty decent if you make use of it and you invest in a little dex. A champion can be leaping around combat, recovering from falls, skipping across narrow ledges. A champion is the one swinging off the chandelier!

You can also be a pretty decent sneak and ambusher. With the right tool training you can pick locks (and pockets). You tend to go first in combat.

I also like the second fighting style. Want to be aggressive and defensive at the same time? Want to mix it up with dual scimitars and bow? (cringe). Sword and board duelling and protection?

I don't think the champion needs to be just hit, hit, hit. More hit, jump, balance, hit, shoot, hit etc

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I find it more useful to identify the subclasses with fictional characters

1) Champion - Conan

2) Battlemaster - Croaker or Elmo from The Black Company

3) Eldritch Knight - Sparhawk from one of Edding's series

One archetype that I'd like to see is Dilvish from Zelazny's books, a fighter with magic strength strictly in ritual magic.

DMCF

First Post
There is a little bit more to the champion than just improved criticals. I would say that it makes a difference that rarely that it doesn't really define the character in combat (maybe by 15th level when it increases again)

Remarkable athlete can be pretty decent if you make use of it and you invest in a little dex. A champion can be leaping around combat, recovering from falls, skipping across narrow ledges. A champion is the one swinging off the chandelier!

You can also be a pretty decent sneak and ambusher. With the right tool training you can pick locks (and pockets). You tend to go first in combat.

I also like the second fighting style. Want to be aggressive and defensive at the same time? Want to mix it up with dual scimitars and bow? (cringe). Sword and board duelling and protection?

I don't think the champion needs to be just hit, hit, hit. More hit, jump, balance, hit, shoot, hit etc

Barbarian in my game raged then jumped over a 7' foot table (Athletics roll) and launched a javelin at a gargoyle striking it solidly in the back. Any character who passes the right checks can do this. The more extravagant the more chances for crit fail and wasted moves/actions. I dont see the champion as having more of an edge than classes who can stat a certain way, gain expertise and still have a multitude of options available.

Mercule

Adventurer
Champion is there to fill one of the traditional/old school roles of the fighter: the class you give to the newbie. That doesn't mean it's a bad choice -- I've played plenty of interesting fighters, but they were interesting due to role playing, not stats. It's also the choice for a character who focuses on raw weapon skill.

Battle master is there to give the player some toys so they have something to fiddle with. In game, I'd say it's more representative of the knight, samurai, kensai, or tactician -- an educated swordsman, but a swordsman at heart.

Eldritch knight allows gish even if the DM doesn't use the multi-classing rules. It also gives the ADHD player even more toys. In game, it's the elven knight, an elite guard, or someone else who learned to enhance their fighting in a very non-traditional way.

Short form:
Champion -- Keep it simple.
Battle Master -- I like swords, but rules don't scare me.
Eldritch Knight -- Fantasy means magic, but I want to use a sword well.

Remove ads