• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BrOp's Age of Worms Adventure Path: The Whispering Cairn (IC)

Bront said:
Zan takes a candle and lights one for each lamp that is not currently lit.
Making his way around the tomb, the changeling lights each of the dark lanterns hanging from the ceiling chains. He proceeds in a turnwise fashion, so that the last one he comes to is the blue lantern. As he stands on his toes to place the candle inside its receptacle, he notices (OOC: Spot check) that the ceiling at the end of this corridor seems to be much higher than the other ones. He had not noticed it before, but having just been down each of the corridors it is obvious that the ceiling here is a good 10 to 15 feet higher. There also seems to be an alcove or corridor leading off the passageway, just below the ceiling. It looks to start about 40 feet above where the wizard is currently standing.

Once all the available lanterns have been lit (the red one is missing) they increase the intensity of the strange reflections cast around the room by the countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamber's domed ceiling. When one looks directly at the moving lights it is a little disorienting.

Last edited:

The two soldiers make their way back to the sarcophagus and with a bit of effort (OOC: Aided Strength check) are able to push the heavy marble slab to its next "position". As before it audibly clicks into place as the arrow points toward the now lit violet lantern. The duo wait a few seconds in anticipation, but nothing seems to happen. No rumbling can be heard from under the floor and no column rises at the end of the "violet" hallway.

Bront

The man with the probe
"Well, that seemed illuminating," Zan quips dryly. "The ceiling over here is elevated, I wonder if there's one of these moving boxes that can bring us up there, as there appears to be a coridor up there."

Bront said:
"Well, that seemed illuminating," Zan quips dryly. "The ceiling over here is elevated, I wonder if there's one of these moving boxes that can bring us up there, as there appears to be a coridor up there."
OOC: It seems that the easiest way to the corridor would be to climb up the lantern chain and then swing over to the corridor (DC 15 Climb check).

Someone

Adventurer
"I´ll investigate that" says Rial, as he climbs to the raised corridor. "I´ll look for something to tie a rope to if there´s anything here worthy of attention."

[ooc: for added security, Rial is climbing the wall opposite of the corridor´s mouth, if I´m explaining myself clear and understood the place´s disposition]

D20Dazza

Explorer
Fixit wanders over to where Rial is preparing to climb the corridor wall and carefully examines the walls and floor of the small chamber.

OOC: Search +4

With the warforged soldier's help, Kerwin is able to move the sarcophagus platform another place (OOC: Aided Strength check), past the exit hallway, until it points to the corridor without a lantern. Remembering the mural in the entryway, it is probably a red lantern that is missing here. Sadly, there is no reaction from this corridor as well.
Unperturbed, they continue pushing (OOC: Aided Strength check) until the platform faces the lit orange lantern. It is in this position that you originally found the sarcophagus. Once again, only silence greets the duo, although Kerwin notices that he is beginning to sweat from all the exertion. The warforged, of course, does not have this problem.

As Rial prepares to climb the wall of the blue corridor, Fixit wanders over and takes a quick look around (OOC: Search check). Within seconds he finds a humanoid skeleton whose bones have been scattered at the end of this hallway. It looks as if the skeleton has been here quite some time.

Leaving the warforged below, the warlock swiftly climbs the high walls. Just below the ceiling, a 9 foot tall and 10 foot wide corridor continues in the same direction as the hallway below it. It stretches off into the darkness beyond the limit of the young human’s vision, and has no incline. There don’t seem to be any handholds or protrusions which one could tie a rope to. The heavy flagstones which cover the floor of the corridor look sturdy enough to take a piton, however.

Someone

Adventurer
"Any progress with the sarcophagus?" asks Rial when he descends. "There´s a corridor up there, not a mere hole, though I can´t see far enough. I´ll need the sunrod, if you´re not going with me. But if you do it can be a difficult climb for you, though I thnk I can help holding the rope."

Ranger Rick

First Post
Sniffer stands around looking up at his comrades, than starts to check for anything that may sneak up on them. (guard those who are preoccupied with this riddle)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads