Brutal Fencer (A Fighter Build)

Cadfan

First Post
I figured "brutal" fit since you're mostly using your off hand to grab the other guy by the neck while you gut him. :) Its really not a true fencing style, where your off hand is held back for safety. I just couldn't come up with a better name. Got any ideas?

cmbarona

First Post
Yeah, I think the awkward word here is "fencer", not "brutal". Perhaps "Brutal Grappler" or something with "Vice Grip", "Chokehold", or "Eviscerator"?

sozomai

First Post
I kind of like "Chokehold Swordmaster."

And how about giving proficiency with Rapiers as a class feature?
Edit: Whoops, forgot Rapiers aren't a versatile weapon

Also it would be cool to see some actual techniques of swordsmanship involved that fit the grab and stab style.

e.g. Swordmasters of old would sometimes use their cloaks with their off hand, whipping it at an opponent to distract them, throwing it over his blade to trap it, or casting it over his head if the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
Just a thought on the wording of some of the powers. Several say a foe of Large size or smaller, wouldn't it be better to say a foe one size larger then you? That way you cover small size characters and size altering mechanics.

scarik

First Post
The best way to handle Small and weapons is to throw the rules away since being Small gives exactly zero advantages over Medium. If Halfling rogues don't have to worry about weapon choices there's no reason to make Rangers and Fighters et al worry. Also its pretty silly that Halfling Wizards can't use Staves as weapons.

I did that for the Halfling Paladin in my game so he could use a longsword like a real Paladin and not have to use a scimitar.

And Brutal Fencer is a great name. If you always equate Fencing to the modern sport variety it might seem odd, but if you know that the word 'Fence' is simply a contraction of 'Defence' then it is perfectly fitting.

Cadfan

First Post
Just a thought on the wording of some of the powers. Several say a foe of Large size or smaller, wouldn't it be better to say a foe one size larger then you? That way you cover small size characters and size altering mechanics.
I'll probably make that change next time I update the document.

Eldorian

First Post
Grabbing someone in pro fighting is called "clinching". Striking someone in the clinch is referred to as "dirty boxing" unless it's Muay Thai.

This guy isn't unarmed, however, some of these words could be used.

Clinch Fighter is the build, Clinch Technique is the name of the style?

Btw, this is very similar to an idea I had for an unarmed combatant called a Pankratiast. Only his mechanic wasn't one of his at will's he chooses, but a class feature that is a minor action, grab the target, give opponent penalty to escape.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I figured "brutal" fit since you're mostly using your off hand to grab the other guy by the neck while you gut him. :) Its really not a true fencing style, where your off hand is held back for safety. I just couldn't come up with a better name. Got any ideas?

I like the "brutal" in the name because I have a class idea I have been working on a which needs a dash of "Darth Vader" like, left hand use .. ... and yes I had been thinking of versatile weapons in this context. I hadn't thought of using the grab as a form of defenders mark (I have simulationist issues trying to figure out marking at times, I let myself figure it means individual who has the highest threat in martial powers its based on position and only one can be the highest threat... the most distraction from threat).

Fencing Fighter should be another build.
Fencing has the offhand normally held back to enhance your balance as well as assuring a smaller target both scream AC perhaps with the latter limited to a single opponent to me A Fencer could be given just the armor class bonus when they have an empty off hand whether the weapon was versatile or not. (like swordmage but martial). Perhaps it is actually a bonus against being knocked prone and an armor class reflex bonus for self against a marked opponent. Maybe make this bonus better if wearing light armor so we encourage Pirates and Musketeer types who dont want to think of them selves as rogues?

Last edited:

Remove ads